We build. You grow.

Get best community software here

Start a social network, a fan-site, an education project with oxwall - free opensource community software

Email Notifications concerning new messages | Forum

Topic location: Forum home » Support » General Questions
N8 Core
N8 Core Nov 24 '15
what triggers this? if the message is read by the person is it not sent in email? any help would be appreciated.
ross Team
ross Nov 24 '15
what triggers what? 

if the message is read by the person, the notification regarding this message is not sent to the e-mail, if the person sees on-site notification regarding site activity or messages, he/she does not get e-mail about those notifications. 

N8 Core
N8 Core Nov 24 '15
ok so if they are not signed in, it should automatically send?  sorry working on a mod.

when the message is orginally sent how does it get into the mail que? is there a script that sends it there .. or does the site just keep track of the messages that are not read/seen etc. 

thanks for the help
ross Team
ross Nov 24 '15
when the notification is to send depends on the time set in the mail notification schedule here: www.yoursite.com/email-notifications ;

the notifications are sent by cron, you can find the file in the ow_plugins/notifications/cron.php  which means that also influences the time when the mail is send, as each user can configure differently how often the cron runs on their server. 

Scott
Scott Jan 10 '16

Quote from ross when the notification is to send depends on the time set in the mail notification schedule here: www.yoursite.com/email-notifications ;

the notifications are sent by cron, you can find the file in the ow_plugins/notifications/cron.php  which means that also influences the time when the mail is send, as each user can configure differently how often the cron runs on their server. 

Ross,  

Is it possible to set the default email notifications for all new members to immediately instead of after two days?

If so how do I make this change? 

ross Team
ross Jan 10 '16
Please, before posting anything on the forum, do the search: http://www.oxwall.org/forum/topic/10490
Rusty Nails
Rusty Nails Feb 20 '16
Ross, email notifications not working at all. All other emails are working fine without issues.

cron jobs are configured correctly and everything else on the site works!

Only new Private Messages email notification doesn't work. Users email notification set "Immediately"!

Can you please help.

tammy harris
tammy harris Feb 20 '16

Quote from Rusty Nails Ross, email notifications not working at all. All other emails are working fine without issues.

cron jobs are configured correctly and everything else on the site works!

Only new Private Messages email notification doesn't work. Users email notification set "Immediately"!

Can you please help.

try set your cron 2 or 3 minutes 
Rusty Nails
Rusty Nails Feb 20 '16
I have changed to 2 mins and still no luck

All other email notifications works just fine except "private messages" and "chats" email notifications. I believe it has no relation to cron jobs. It something to do with actual messages plugin notification script part! 

Any ideas about how to fix it ?

The Forum post is edited by Rusty Nails Feb 20 '16
tammy harris
tammy harris Feb 20 '16
I had same problem no mails being made and it was cron run overlaping 

Check your server mails and look how long cron is running 

Also look at how much memory its use mine is use over 1 gb n a lot of runs so if i did not have over 1 gb spare the cron process would be killed and not run 

tammy harris
tammy harris Feb 20 '16
If your have slow server maybe ur crons are run 4 minutes
ross Team
ross Feb 21 '16
PMs and chat notifications are also sent by cron. 

You need to do the testing, 

generat e-mail notification by sending a PM to some test profile( which should not be logged in) check whether the mail appears in ow_base_mail table in your database and check whether it goes out from that table.