We build. You grow.

Get best community software here

Start a social network, a fan-site, an education project with oxwall - free opensource community software

How ready for mobile is Oxwall? | Forum

Topic location: Forum home » Support » General Questions
Bruce
Bruce Jan 9 '16
Hi all,

I used Oxwall briefly a couple of years ago and really liked it. I'm now looking to build a social network, and am thinking about using Oxwall. One thing I'm wondering about is, what kind of experience do users get on mobile?

Some specific questions:

Does Oxwall automatically detect mobile and present a mobile version of the site? How does that work?

Are there any pages of the default install or usual plugins that don't work well on mobile?

Is the intention of the Oxwall team for the product to be as good on mobile as on desktop or is it really intended to be a pc-based experience?

Many thanks for your help!

Bruce
Bruce Jan 9 '16
Replying to my own question a bit, but I see from the blog that the Simplicity theme is intended to be mobile-ready in 1.8.1, which is scheduled for release on Jan 12 2016. That would explain why I was seeing some strange mobile behaviour, because I am using Simplicity but only 1.8, not 1.8.1
Anitaku
Anitaku Jan 9 '16
The mobile version is limited. Most of us tend to just use a responsive theme and switch the mobile theme off. I would recommend you do the same. 

Saying that.. 1.8.1 release might change the look of the mobile version, but I don't think they'll be adding any extra functionality. 

Test out both methods and see which works best for you. 

Welcome to oxwall :) 
Anitaku
Anitaku Jan 9 '16
You can switch the mobile version on and off via the admin panel. 

Some plug is like top users and a few others will work on the mobile version... But not many. 
Bruce
Bruce Jan 9 '16
Awesome - thanks for your help, Phil!

Is there a free theme that is responsive, or have people developed their own?

Many thanks!

Anitaku
Anitaku Jan 9 '16
Go to store > themes 

Have a look through there. 
Make sure the themes are up-to date and support 1.8 
Bruce
Bruce Jan 9 '16
Perfect - thanks, Phil!
ross Team
ross Jan 10 '16
Phil +1

Bruce, the mobile devices are auto detected when you browser the website via mobile device. You can check how mobile version looks like here: demo.oxwall.org/mobile-version