We build. You grow.

Get best community software here

Start a social network, a fan-site, an education project with oxwall - free opensource community software

My 1.8.0 to 1.8.1 update journey (I had to manually create new collums and rows in the DB) | Forum

Peter
Peter Jan 20 '16
Hello community. So I decided to update my site and I didn't deactivated 3rd party plugins before update. (I know, shame to me...seriosly folks, always disable all plugins before the core update:).

Automatic platform update from admin panel went to to error 500, frontend and backend too. The entire website remains inaccessible.

I look into error.log file and I saw this line:

[Tue Jan 19 14:53:11 2016] [ow_core_log] [Exception] Message: SQLSTATE[42S22]: Column not found: 1054 Unknown column 'key' in 'where clause' File: /home/admin/web/mysite.xyz/public_html/ow_core/database.php Line:723 Trace: [#0 /home/admin/web/mysite.xyz/public_html/ow_core/database.php(723): PDOStatement->execute() | #1 /home/admin/web/mysite.xyz/public_html/ow_core/database.php(308): OW_Database->execute('SELECT * FROM o...', Array) | #2 /home/admin/web/mysite.xyz/public_html/ow_core/base_dao.php(114): OW_Database->queryForObject('SELECT * FROM o...', 'BOL_Theme', Array, 86400, Array) | #3 /home/admin/web/mysite.xyz/public_html/ow_system_plugins/base/bol/theme_dao.php(111): OW_BaseDao->findObjectByExample(Object(OW_Example), 86400, Array) | #4 /home/admin/web/mysite.xyz/public_html/ow_system_plugins/base/bol/theme_service.php(485): BOL_ThemeDao->findByKey('simplicity') | #5 /home/admin/web/mysite.xyz/public_html/ow_core/theme_manager.php(86): BOL_ThemeService->getThemeObjectByKey('simplicity', false) | #6 /home/admin/web/mysite.xyz/public_html/ow_core/application.php(174): OW_ThemeManager->initDefaultTheme() | #7 /home/admin/web/mysite.xyz/public_html/index.php(54): OW_Application->init() | #8 {main}]

On that basis, I realized that something was wrong with the database.

I made successful update on my local instalation after that, and I compared this two databases. (successful local update with unsuccessful update)

I found that after update process, there are new values in the broken site DB ow_base_config table - soft_build 10200, soft_version 1.8.1. I decide to lower soft_build value and I did a manual update based on this tutorial: http://www.oxwall.org/forum/topic/44433  (I deactivated all 3rd party plugins from DB first)

The manual update process displays a message about the update to 1.8.1 was successful.

BUT...entire website still throws e500.

I saw in error.log output above, that something is wrong with the theme tables. I compared "ow_base_theme" table with successful updated table, and I found missing columns. I realized that update proces did not completely updated DB.

In "ow_base_theme" table I renamed collum "name" to "key" and I add "licenseCheckTimestamp collum.

Next I compared "ow_base_plugin" table. In this table I had to add "licenseCheckTimestamp" collum.

After that SITE STARTS WORKING FINE.

But I saw that, there is not a new feature  "User's Timezone option". So I compared databases again:

In "ow_base_preference" I had to add "timeZoneSelect" row. After that User's Timezone option start work normally.

After that I activated all native and 3rd plugins and It seems that site works fine. Error log is almost clear...But I still see some values in Captha settings and Plugin licence updating without proper added language value. It look like this: admin+captcha_settings / admin+display_captcha_label

Conclusion:

In my opinion, The update process has successfully updated files, but not the database. (first automatic update and after manual too, I try manual update 2 times)

All things works fine now, including new Captcha setting an Plugin licence checking....(But with the lack of language values above.)

But I am sure that despite the fact that the website is working properly, something important is still missing in the database. So here is my question for Ross.

What tables in addition to ow_base_theme, ow_base_plugin and ow_base_preference should I check and manually add all necessary values? Or is it all? It was necessary to adjust only these three?
The Forum post is edited by Peter Jan 31 '16
ross Team
ross Jan 20 '16
The error means the update has not went successfully. Please lower the soft_build in the ow_base_config, upload the update pack and run www.site.com/ow_updates

I can't tell you which tables the update has effect on for sure, anyway it would be better if you update the tables and software via update process and not by hands. 

ross Team
ross Jan 20 '16
Topic was moved from General Questions.
UTAN
UTAN Jan 21 '16
Had the same ordeal mate, had to manually update ow_basetheme and ow_baseplugin because even lowering the build it wouldn't complete a success update in database..

It has been a nightmare upgrading..
GlassRepairsinTacoma
May very well just launched some blog page, the knowledge most people furnish on this internet site seems to have made it easier everybody vastly. Thanks a lot for the purpose of your personal instance & give good results.discoverynew
GlassRepairsinTacoma
World of warcraft! What precisely tabs opener the place has long been in my situation. Considerably preferred, bookmarked as their favorite, That i can’t look forward to even more! limitlessweb
GlassRepairsinTacoma
Attractive blog post, the nation's a truly nice web log that you have got these, compete the best get the job done, can be once again.mktpulse99
macallister
macallister Sep 28 '23
A person's popular music is definitely astounding. You may have quite a few pretty good music artists. I actually need you actually the perfect with being successful. truck drivers blog
anna
anna Sep 28 '23
I appreciate your posting. I've read about a lot of related subjects! Contrary to other articles, yours left me with a really distinct impression. I hope you'll keep writing insightful posts like this one and others for us to everyone to read! retro games
GlassRepairsinTacoma
Good place, walked into the future together with bookmarked as their favorite your websites. That i can’t procrastinate to read the paper even more with everyone.chrome hearts cross
HUNAINKHAN
HUNAINKHAN Jan 10
Bakar77 invites you to a world of easy triumphs. Follow the leaked link to their online slots and enjoy the excitement of winning big on the biggest jackpots.bakar77 rtp
carson
carson Feb 19
The Cole Buxton Sweater epitomizes understated luxury with its impeccable craftsmanship and timeless design. Crafted from the finest materials, it offers unparalleled comfort and warmth while exuding effortless style. Featuring clean lines and subtle details, such as ribbed trims and a classic crew neckline, each sweater is a versatile wardrobe staple that seamlessly transitions from casual to refined looks. Whether layered over a crisp shirt for a sophisticated ensemble or paired with jeans for a relaxed vibe, the Cole Buxton sweater is a testament to modern elegance and refined simplicity, making it a must-have piece for discerning individuals who value both comfort and style.