We build. You grow.

Get best community software here

Start a social network, a fan-site, an education project with oxwall - free opensource community software

License key check for commercial items on install? | Forum

Topic location: Forum home » Support » General Questions
Marcus
Marcus Feb 12 '16
What does this mean on new 1.8.1 release???

License key check for commercial items on install

Does this mean that plugin and themes now come with the license key or does it mean that oxwall is no longer an open source project??
tammy harris
tammy harris Feb 12 '16
It means when you install a payed theme or plugin u need enter the licance key 

So now you can not have a test site you can not have a local install at home to test and develop suff 

Marcus
Marcus Feb 13 '16
It doesn't apply to free plugins like news feed, groups etc right?
Darryl B Leader
Darryl B Feb 13 '16
No. Just the paid plugins.
Tecca
Tecca Feb 13 '16
I couldn't even use my own theme when I upgraded to 1.8.1.
tammy harris
tammy harris Feb 13 '16

Quote from Bryan I couldn't even use my own theme when I upgraded to 1.8.1.
no warnings no nothing just a whole heap of crashed sites everywhere 
Marcus
Marcus Feb 14 '16
This sounds like we should avoid updating to 1.8.1 case it's unstable update? I mean do the team knows about this bad release???
Tecca
Tecca Feb 14 '16

Quote from Marcus This sounds like we should avoid updating to 1.8.1 case it's unstable update? I mean do the team knows about this bad release???
Of course, but they focus too much on trying to make money that it backfires. Calling home in open source software is terrible, even if the plugin is paid. That should be up to the plugin author, not the software itself. Then the customer can decide if that plugin is worth buying or not, based on if it calls back to another server or not.

They need to implement things for customer protection in the store, but of course that comes later, after they support third party devs (and themselves) first. Because apparently they're more important than customer service.
ross Team
ross Feb 14 '16
Bryan, what do you mean you can't use your theme now?

Marcus, read my reply here: http://www.oxwall.org/forum/topic/44258?page=1#post-171726

Marcus
Marcus Feb 15 '16
Ross I am cool with that just worry case so many report crashes and all sorts of problems.

This is terrible how do you expect us to work on the localhost! I am not cool with working on the life site :)
Tecca
Tecca Feb 15 '16

Quote from Marcus Ross I am cool with that just worry case so many report crashes and all sorts of problems.

This is terrible how do you expect us to work on the localhost! I am not cool with working on the life site :)

They want you to buy each plugin two times if you use it on more than one instance. Even for testing.
Steve
Steve Feb 15 '16
Yes true Bryan but the thing is I am the type of person that if I buy an item that item now belongs to me and in that case I should be able to use it anyway I see fit...Unless it states in a binding contract or in the description of the item that when you buy the items you will only use it that one time which in the case of computers is difficult because of hardware failure and or program failure...Which in that case you have to reinstall the item. 
Anitaku
Anitaku Feb 15 '16

Quote from Steve Yes true Bryan but the thing is I am the type of person that if I buy an item that item now belongs to me and in that case I should be able to use it anyway I see fit...Unless it states in a binding contract or in the description of the item that when you buy the items you will only use it that one time which in the case of computers is difficult because of hardware failure and or program failure...Which in that case you have to reinstall the item. 
We all feel this way mate. I wouldn't expect things to change anytime soon. Move on, adapt or die. :-/ 
Vladimir Bach
Vladimir Bach May 12 '16
This is such poop.. :/ I shouldn't have to spend 5,000 dollars to run a site and I shouldn't have to pay 5,000 to run a second site.. it's ridiculous. Now because of this, I can't even install or uninstall my plugins and my site keeps crashing. 
The Forum post is edited by Vladimir Bach May 12 '16