We build. You grow.

Get best community software here

Start a social network, a fan-site, an education project with oxwall - free opensource community software

Mobile replies to wall comments, and chat messages | Forum

Shaun
Shaun Feb 15 '16
I dont know if this has been mentioned before or if its a known issue but it was mentioned to me by some members that when using their mobile devices they were unable to reply to comments or use chat. 

They could write their replies but could not send them.

After investigating on a couple of android devices it seems that the issue is with the android default keyboard.

You can easily get round the problem by installing a new keyboard from the play store.

Can oxwall remedy this? Could we benefit from having a submit button when replying to comments or using the chat?

Just thought you should all know.

By the way this problem only occurs if you are using a responsive theme.

ross Team
ross Feb 15 '16
Shaun, the resposnive theme is still a desktop theme even though it fits well to any device you're using, however we do not support desktop version of the theme on mobile devices. We have developed a mobile version specifically for this purpose. 
Shaun
Shaun Feb 16 '16
Hi Ross and thank you for your reply,

I am a little dissapointed that Your answer to this is that oxwall will only support the mobile version that was developed especially when you yourself are selling Responsive themes in the oxwall store.

Does this mean you personally will be prepared to offer refunds to all of your customers now that I have highlited a problem that oxwall will not offer support for despite giving approval for responsive themes to be sold?

I found a problem, A fairly big problem for community sites if you can't reply to chat request or wall post's. I found a solution, If your using an Android tablet or mobile device that is using the standard Andriod keyboard simply download an alternative and use that instead. Its easy to put a notice up advising your members about the issue and how to implement a temporary solution.

I am not asking for personal support, I am advising that the whole community could possibly benefit from a little update for their sites to solve a problem that must be affecting every Oxwall user.

Now Oxwall need to have a think about how to solve the problem for its community, Since you can't exactly change the the google keyboard I thought a simple submit reply or send button would have been easy. I am no programmer though so I refer to your better judgment.

Ross I actually have alot of repsect for you as you have in times past helped me out a lot with regard to problems on my site, In fact you are the only team member I really ever see offering any real support. I also see that you handle alot of the complaints and unfortunatly it is having a noticeable effect on your responses in the forum.

Please know that appreciate your help , assistance and the Oxwall software in general. This post was not intended to critisice Oxwall just to help improve it.
ross Team
ross Feb 16 '16
My response to the customers is the same, it is still a desktop version of the theme and Oxwall does not support desktop version on mobile device, for now, nobody claimed a refund. 

And this is the official response on the matter - Oxwall does not support desktop version on mobile devices, we have a mobile version for that end. 

We know it is limited in features as not all of them are presented in the mobile version but we do our best to satisfy our community members needs. 

Shaun
Shaun Feb 16 '16
Fair enough Ross.

Just looking the pictures gallery for your Responsive themes though I notice that mobile phones feature fairly heavily. 

Your basicly advertising that your themes are suitable for mobile usage with oxwall without mentioning that some user will have difficulty in replying to comments and chat messages.

Dont you feel a responsibility to at least warn people before they buy that there are know issues?

I didnt start this topic to attack you or oxwall. I just wanted  to highlight the issue and help improve Oxwall.

Thanks for the replies.

ross Team
ross Feb 16 '16
If you want to talk about my themes create a post in the theme support area. 

The Forum post is edited by ross Feb 16 '16
Shaun
Shaun Feb 16 '16
I dont especially, your themes all look good and well designed.

Just pointing out that you say that the responsive themes are intended for desktop use only so oxwall isnt intrested in resolving any bugs that are present and yet you youself a member of Oxwall are selling responsive themes for a profit and marketing them towards mobile devices.

Of course all responsive theme developers will encounter this issue but they are not members of Oxwall and so I chose to highlight the problem to you specifically in the hope of a possive respone.

Again I appreciate the work you do so please accept my grattitude and stop taking my comments so personaly. I will refrain from responsing anymore as i feel this has gone way off topic.