We build. You grow.

Get best community software here

Start a social network, a fan-site, an education project with oxwall - free opensource community software

unsubscribe header | Forum

tammy harris
tammy harris Mar 1 '16

the CAN-SPAM ACT and other international anti-spam laws, every commercial email message you send  must contain an “unsubscribe“ link or other mechanism that allows subscribers to remove themselves from your mailing list.  But it may happen that even if the unsubscribe link is included in your mailings, some subscribers are not able to find it. As a result, they are likely to hit the “Mark as Spam” button.

So, why is it important to enable the list-unsubscribe header?

Because every time a “frustated” recipient uses that “Mark as Spam” button to unsubscribe your sender reputation is affected.

The list-unsubscribe header comes to help senders reduce spam complaints  and improve deliverability.  This is possible because, when it is enabled, the process to unsubscribe is simpler and immediate.   Recipients will see an Unsubscribe button, or link, they can click if they would like to automatically stop future messages.

The list-unsubscribe header has been widely supported by major software vendors and ISPs, such Microsoft Windows Live, Yahoo! and Google Gmail (selected senders).

i have looked in system plugin/base/boil/ mail.php, mail_dao.php and mail_services.php
but stuffed if i know how to add this lol
the list@host.com  needs to be  sitemail addy 

mailMessage.Headers.Add("List-Unsubscribe", "<mailto:list@host.com?subject=unsubscribe>");

tammy harris
tammy harris Mar 1 '16
please read this on why need the unsubscribe header
https://nakedsecurity.sophos.com/...nks-before-clicking/

ross Team
ross Mar 7 '16

CAN-SPAM defines commercial email as “any electronic mail message the primary purpose of which is the commercial advertisement or promotion of a commercial product or service...”

So none of the e-mails sent from the website are considered as commercial

The List-Unsubscribe header is an optional piece of text that you add to the header of your emails. 

Besides all e-mails that come to the users e-mail on a regular basis, like e-mail notifications , mass mailing messages have unsubscribe links. 

tammy harris
tammy harris Mar 7 '16
hmmmm how do you think that a oxwall powered site is not commercial 

why do you dismiss everything that can make oxwall better 

list unsubscribe will help every oxwall powered site 

and would take 3 minutes to implement 
tammy harris
tammy harris Mar 7 '16
even this site oxwall is commercial 
my main site is 
commercial 

tammy harris
tammy harris Mar 7 '16
this attitude has to change and change now 
ross Team
ross Mar 7 '16

Tammy, we don't want to dismiss anything that can make oxwall better,we really don't, but we need to provide an adequate response to any request or issue, there's no any negative or pre-conceived attitude towards any of the communty member.

You provide us with the request, right? That any commercial e-mail according to the CAN-SPAM ACT should do or have something. 

In this case, we as a support team should check the issue and provide adequate and professional response. We checked what is commercial e-mail is according to the CAN-SPAM ACT and we just stated their words here. 

Yes, it would be useful to implement it, but even if it is reported to the devs, it will be of minor importance and won't be implemented in the nearest future, as we provided the reasons why, right?

I'm not talking about the site being commercial, you're going the wrong way here. I'm talking about the e-mails you get from the site. 

How can they be commercial? They do not promote anything, registration, forgot password, activity on the website, in what way are those e-mails promote or advertise any product or service? 

The Forum post is edited by ross Mar 7 '16
tammy harris
tammy harris Mar 7 '16
yeah well when you quote something to get out of fixing something please dont just quote the tiny part that help you not have to do anything this is the true 

Despite its name, the CAN-SPAM Act doesn’t apply just to bulk email. It covers all commercial messages, which the law defines as “any electronic mail message the primary purpose of which is the commercial advertisement or promotion of a commercial product or service,” including email that promotes content on commercial websites. 

what does this say
including email that promotes content on commercial websites. 

The Forum post is edited by tammy harris Mar 7 '16
tammy harris
tammy harris Mar 7 '16
The law makes no exception for business-to-business email. That means all email – for example, a message to former customers announcing a new product line – must comply with the law.

ross Team
ross Mar 7 '16
I don't quote the tiny part, it is clearly stated on this website: http://www.loeb.com/...ialemailundercanspam
tammy harris
tammy harris Mar 7 '16
when you quote something take it from better sauces 

https://www.ftc.gov/...iance-guide-business
tammy harris
tammy harris Mar 7 '16
anything that help stop users emails getting marked as spam is not 
minor importance and won't be implemented in the nearest future,
tammy harris
tammy harris Mar 7 '16

Quote from Tammy this attitude has to change and change now 

Din
Din Mar 14 '16
Hi All. I agree. There is big issue with it. All oxwall site mails are going to spam folder in most of mails. Please help with solving it.
Sean
Sean Mar 14 '16
Yes this needs to be added without question. 
Sean
Sean Mar 14 '16
From the home page of oxwall - 

"With Oxwall we are all about open source values. Anyone can use this software for any purpose including commercial... "

If you intend your product to be used by commercial entities then you must ensure your product complies with laws that those commercial entities need to abide by. 

This means an unsubscribe button on EVERY email sent from the site. 

Sean
Sean Mar 14 '16
Perhaps the mailer can be modified to automatically attach this. 
OW-Ghost
OW-Ghost Mar 20 '16
yes agree email reaching out to new and old members are so importen.

right now i have emails that have nor correct time stamps when they leave my site i just checked this up. maybe that why it takes so lon for them send out to my members?

Bruce Tran
Bruce Tran Apr 13 '17
Tammy, if you are talking about activity notifications, then add at the bottom of the email something like this: "If you would like to change how you receive activity notifications, please log in and go to 'Mail Notifications' and update your preferences."

For mass emailing, I suggest using the https://developers.oxwall.com/store/item/412 plugin and manage subscribers through MailChimp.
Pages: 1 2 »