We build. You grow.

Get best community software here

Start a social network, a fan-site, an education project with oxwall - free opensource community software

Copying and pasting text from word crashes forums | Forum

IntrigU
IntrigU Apr 9 '16

Here is the error dump. Same works in blogs.

Error 500

Internal Server Error.

If you are the site admin, click here for details (+)

Something went wrong!

To get the error details follow these steps:

- Open ow_includes/config.php file and set DEBUG_MODE to true

- Reproduce your last action.

Error details:

Type:Exception

Message:String to be escaped was not valid UTF-8 or could not be converted: Здравствуйте, девочки, я на этом сайте только зарегистрировалась. До этого была на д�

File:oxwal/ow_libraries/vendor/zendframework/zend-escaper/src/Escaper.php

Line:323

Trace:#0 oxwal/ow_libraries/vendor/zendframework/zend-escaper/src/Escaper.php(161): Zend\Escaper\Escaper->toUtf8('???????????????...') #1 oxwal/ow_utilities/html_tag.php(345): Zend\Escaper\Escaper->escapeHtmlAttr('???????????????...') #2 oxwal/ow_utilities/html_tag.php(49): UTIL_HtmlTag::escapeHtmlAttr('???????????????...') #3 oxwal/ow_core/html_document.php(646): UTIL_HtmlTag::generateTag('meta', Array) #4 oxwal/ow_core/response.php(200): OW_HtmlDocument->render() #5 oxwal/ow_core/application.php(487): OW_Response->respond() #6 oxwal/index.php(94): OW_Application->returnResponse() #7 {main}

Peter
Peter Apr 9 '16
Probably, I have the same problem after update to 1.8.2. I just found this in my error.log, but I don't know which user action caused it.

[Sat Apr 9 16:16:34 2016] [ow_core_log] [Exception] Message: String to be escaped was not valid UTF-8 or could not be converted
The Forum post is edited by Peter Apr 9 '16
Peter
Peter Apr 10 '16
UPDATE: It seems that after an update to 1.8.2, there is an issue with  processing of copy/pasted special (substandard) characters with all types of content. (forum, blog, events..etc)

OR

it is due to processing formatted copy/pasted text, and HTML code inside the pasted text from external websites.

These  copy/pasted characters, users often use for text highlighting. (lines, shaded areas, special symbols, etc..). (I saw that in error.log)

This problem refers to the Zend Framework/Escaper and it came with 1.8.2 ox. version. (Probably, it has something to do with XSS vulnerabilities protection)  Introduction to Zend\Escaper
The Forum post is edited by Peter Apr 10 '16
ross Team
ross Apr 11 '16

Yes, we are aware of this issues, it will be fixed asap. Thanks for the reports. 

ross Team
ross Apr 11 '16
the forum plugin has been updated, the issue should be fixed for forum. 
Peter
Peter Apr 12 '16
Thank you. And how it looks with other features? Blogs, Events... This bug occurs in all text fields sitewide? For example in copy/pasted photo description too?
ross Team
ross Apr 18 '16
This will be fixed in the upcoming update only. However we still cannot reproduce the issue for blogs events and photo description. Can you please provide us the exact steps to reproduce the issue with copy/pasting?