We build. You grow.

Get best community software here

Start a social network, a fan-site, an education project with oxwall - free opensource community software

Backup Backup Backup | Forum

dave Leader
dave May 20 '16
Just spoke to a Oxwall user who just lost a site with 3000 members because he relied on his host to back up his site and did not do it himself.

The backups were not done correctly and so when the host restored the site after a failed update attempt, all data was gone.  

He can recover of course, its better to have this happen now and learn the lesson than to have it happen down the road when your site is larger and busier. 

Let this serve as a lesson to everyone,backup your own stuff, do not rely on your host to do it for you.  Back it up and download it and get it off the server.  If your host sees you have 25 backup files on the shared server they are going to get upset.  So get it off the server and on your pc in case the server crashes. 

I learned my lesson many years ago i kept my backups on the server and guess what, the disk crashed on the server and i almost lost everything. I had to pay my host $75.00 to restore my site from a previous backup they had on file.  That was the first time and last time that happened. 

Backup your stuff, keep it local, and you will be just fine if something happens. 

Dave :) 

The Forum post is edited by dave May 20 '16
OW-Ghost
OW-Ghost Nov 30 '16
i know how it feels i did rely on my host to but i should not do that because i was lost 1000 members because they auto backup system did not working and i started a long desput with them and after the despute was finsihed they was agree give me 1 month extended vps plan.

i really missing a good backup plugin at oxwall ,the backup plugins at oxwall i feel are missing many good features and people say them working not so good.

I see puro have a backup plugin i hope he will update it so it works and add some better features that i suggested

/Marcus

Fern
Fern Nov 11 '21
Creating a website has become very easy in this era as a lot of sources are available to get help from. I have visited this https://www.proessaywriting.com/custom-essay/ site and read this article and realized that it will be very easy for me to create any sort of website in just few hours.
Serj
Serj Aug 2 '22
My friend advises us to buy separate equipment and build it into the server rack to increase the backup speed. Do you think it is worth it and has anyone had any experience with this type of equipment?
Serj
Serj Aug 2 '22
How much can such equipment cost on average? I know that if you buy equipment from cisco, it is too expensive, more than 3 thousand dollars.
Din
Din Aug 2 '22
Such equipment is not cheap, but the most important thing is to buy it with quality components. We bought a backup device https://www.starwindsoftware.com/backup-appliance for our servers from this company because their storage is on a new type of GRAID array. Thanks to them, backup speed has increased several times. The company itself performed the virtualization and did everything perfectly.

James William
James William Aug 2 '22
Request to backup the data before doing any operations. App Vault Keeps Stopping This oxwall forum has many members so, backup is needed.
The Forum post is edited by James William Aug 2 '22