We build. You grow.

Get best community software here

Start a social network, a fan-site, an education project with oxwall - free opensource community software

Throttling Mass Mailing | Forum

Topic location: Forum home » Support » General Questions
Earl
Earl Jun 20 '16
I couldn't find an answer using the search so I hope I am posting in the right place. My host only allows 250 mailings per hour. My problem is that I need to send out a mass mailing to 9000 members. My question is can I "throttle" the oxwall mass mailing  limit to 200 mailings per hour? If so, what do I need to do. Any help would be greatly appreciated and as always, thanks in advance.
The Forum post is edited by Earl Jun 20 '16
dave Leader
dave Jun 20 '16
From what i can find it looks like the mass mailer grabs 50 at a time and submits them to the queue, the cron takes it from there i believe.  So one thing you can try is when you need to send these out which im guessing is not that often.  You can set your cron to run every 20 min which will just be under that limit.  Then set it back when the mail table is empty.  

Now understand that during this time your main site operation may be alittle off because the cron is not running every minute.  Also this has not been tested so i am not sure if it will work.   Also your talking about 45+ hours of sending email.  Im sure your host also has a mail limit per day so you might want to check that as well. 

Other than that all i can think of is that you will need to use a third party service to send that volume of mail.  

Earl
Earl Jun 20 '16
Thanks guys (or gals) for your responses. Forgive me but I am not a coder and somewhat new to this so bear with me. What is whm and where do I find it. Thanks again....I will post my results for the next person.
dave Leader
dave Jun 20 '16
WHM stands for Web Host Manager and it is by Cpanel. If you have a VPS or a Dedicated server then you have WHM if you use Cpanel. 

It is basically the whole guts and glory of the server config settings.  

If you do not have a VPS or a Ded server then you will need to follow the rules of your host or use a third party client to send that many emails.  

You can try to integrate it with phplist which is a open source maillist but since you are not a coder you would not be able to do that very easily. 

Also understand that sending that many emails it only takes very few people to mark your emails as spam to get you blacklisted. So make sure you are only sending email to the people that have selected to receive a newsletter from you in the privacy section.  The mass mailing by default i believe removes anyone that has not chosen to receive the newsletter but you need to confirm that with ross here. 

The Forum post is edited by dave Jun 20 '16
ross Team
ross Jun 21 '16
Earl, logically, when you reach the limit of 250 mails in one hour, rest of the mails should wait in the queue for another hour. 

Why exactly do you want to decrease your mail limit from 250 to 200? 

Earl
Earl Jun 21 '16
I decreased it to be on the safe side.