We build. You grow.

Get best community software here

Start a social network, a fan-site, an education project with oxwall - free opensource community software

Migrating from Oxwall 1.7.1 to a fresh install of 1.8.3 | Forum

Jack
Jack Jul 3 '16

Hi guys!

I'm trying to move my oxwall 1.7.1 site over to a new server where I have installed version 1.8.3 manually and the default site seems to be working fine.

But I am having problems importing my database from my old site (I am using phpMyadmin to export and then import my DB).

Are there any things I manually need to change (add columns to tables, etc) in order for my old site's database to work in 1.8.3 or does it update it automatically?

I can't seem to find the instructions I'm looking for in the forum and I want to know what I can cross off my list to get it working. Thanks!

dave Leader
dave Jul 3 '16
Hi Jack, 

I think you would have more issue with the db if you were going the other way because the fields would not be there.  

But since you are going from a lower version to a newer version then you may be ok. You may run into some empty fields on the receiving end which could cause an issue. 

You can take a look at the 1.8.3 update folder and go thru each  folder inside since your version and look for any changes that might cause issues.   It is always better to let the system do the update.  I would have just installed the same version and then let the system do the update for me.. 

However since you already have it installed the only thing to do now is try it. If it blows up then share the error here and we will try to help you figure it out.  

One issue that might raise its ugly head is if they added any new fields to the middle of the field list rather than the end, if so you may have issues.  If they added all the fields to the end of the list then youll probably be ok unless any of those are NOT NULL 

Just make sure you have php 5.5 because the new version requires it.  And check it by user phpinfo()

The Forum post is edited by dave Jul 3 '16
Jack
Jack Jul 3 '16
Thanks for the quick reply, dave.

I'll take your advice and I'll try re-installing 1.7.1 on my new server and doing the update through the system.

I looked for the 1.7.1 release on github but I had no luck finding it (I can only see 1.7.3). Where should I be looking?

Thanks again!

dave Leader
dave Jul 3 '16
let me see if i have it in my archives. one sec please 
dave Leader
dave Jul 3 '16
if you are going from cpanel to cpanel you can just upload all the files from your backup public_html into your new server public_html and then import the db. 

would that work for you if i cant find it?

dave Leader
dave Jul 3 '16
we are in luck... it was in my post i did awhile back  

https://developers.oxwall.com/forum/topic/47495

dave Leader
dave Jul 3 '16
if you want it dir from me instead of that post i can PM you and send it to you that way too
Jack
Jack Jul 3 '16

Thanks dave. I've downloaded the file okay.

I will let you know how it goes!

ross Team
ross Jul 11 '16
Dave is right, it is better and safer to update your 1.7.1 version and them migrate your website. Keep us updated