We build. You grow.

Get best community software here

Start a social network, a fan-site, an education project with oxwall - free opensource community software

Sitemap 1.8.4 (Continued) | Forum

Ryan P
Ryan P Jul 29 '16
Hey everyone,
I want to preface this by saying that I really enjoy what Oxwall offers, the devs, & the support on this forum.

However, after 48 hours my sitemap is not updating (interval set to daily). There are several issues to the new sitemap included in the core update.

First, having the most frequent interval available as "daily" is just not feasible. My previous sitemap that was set up and working great was set to "always". It's imperative to have this setting, as I have at least a dozen updates a day between blog posts, forum posts, custom page updates, & not to mention newsfeed posts (which I prefer not to include in the sitemap).

Second, how can "disable" or "turn off" not be an admin option when planning to include this in the core? Sitemaps, among other features, are not a "one size fits all". They are built to be customized & modified based on the admin's preferences. 

Third, this inclusion is more of a negative effect to SEO than a positive one. I enjoy & appreciate the addition of SEO built into this update, but having a "daily" or "weekly" interval does not do any good when someone has frequent content updates that they would like indexed immediately.

I did not post this to debate the do's and dont's of SEO, nor to get the "how to get by" with the current sitemap setup. I simply ask for a resolution to this issue, how I can eliminate the feature (& please refrain from "this requires custom code modifications", I already understand that), & how I can return to my previous sitemap setup.
Thank you & I look forward to hearing a solution
dave Leader
dave Jul 29 '16
We always appreciate constructive feedback on a new feature Ryan.  This is how things get done. And as you know new features are not always perfect for everyone when first presented and feedback such as this is important because it allows the developers to understand the little tweeks needed in a new feature. 

Thanks for being constructive, and factful, and courteous.  Im sure that ross will pass your concerns over to the developers for consideration in future update.  :) 

The wheels here turn slowly but they do turn, so please be patient ;)

The Forum post is edited by dave Jul 29 '16
Ryan P
Ryan P Jul 29 '16
Thanks Dave. I understand completely and I appreciate what the developers are able to offer to make the platform better.

Please explain to me where I am wrong here- but couldn't I replace all of the current sitemap files in 1.8.4- xml, bol, php, & html  - with those sitemap files of the same extension in the SEO plugin? would this not work? (I'm sorry, I'm not a dev so to me this makes sense). Thanks
dave Leader
dave Jul 29 '16
I dont know, i wish i did but i dont. 
JoshWho
JoshWho Jul 30 '16
Let me know when a fix comes up. I am experiencing the same problem. No sitemap is generating. Maybe it is a permission problem. My question is does it generate a actual physical file that I can open and edit in a tex editor or is this a dynamic file generated? 

Not much explanation is given in the page for it and the blog doesn't say much neither. Would also like some kind of button on the page that lets you force an update to it if you changed anything and don't want to wait for the cron to run. 

The Forum post is edited by JoshWho Jul 30 '16
Ryan P
Ryan P Jul 30 '16
There isn't even an image sitemap for images to be indexed, common SEO practice
https://support.google.com/webmasters/answer/178636?hl=en

Like @Chris_W said I'm going to have to revert back to 1.8.3 & ride it out for as long as I can until the next release

dave Leader
dave Jul 30 '16
How are they going to know what they need to do to make it better if everyone reverts back to 1.8.3 ?  So you go back to 1.8.3 then if they fix the main issues you have now, and then you come back to the next version, there might be another concern and your constantly bouncing back and forth. 

I understand your needs but consider that new features need time to tweak them so they are better for everyone.  And just dumping it and reverting back to the previous version because of a feature issue and not a fatal issue is just making it harder on the developers to make it better.  Just a thought. 

dave Leader
dave Jul 30 '16
Its a feature Chris, it does not break the site or make the site unusable, its just a feature. Yes it may effect the sitemap process but if the sitemap process as a whole all by itsself breaks your site and makes it unusable then you have more issues than just the sitemap or SEO. 

Maybe i am not understanding, how does the feature make your site unusable for members?

OW-Ghost
OW-Ghost Jul 30 '16
Is it not possible to use a stand alone sitemap for 1.8.4 version like this one https://www.xml-sitemaps.com/ and wait for them fix this sitemap issues?
dave Leader
dave Jul 30 '16
No marcus for now it is use 1.8.4 or use 1.8.3 and use your own. Right now i dont believe you can have it both ways unless you change the core code.  
OW-Ghost
OW-Ghost Jul 30 '16
are we forced use they sitemap?

then i will not upgrade to 1.8.4.... image sitemap missing ... and my plugins are not included in this one but that is something that i can understand they can not easy solve because so many third parts plugins on the market but the image sitemap? and intervall settings works or not?

My question here is why is not possible use another sitemap? you need submit a sitemap to google and if you not submite this new sitemap and use a stand alone sitemap what is the problem then?

i think it is possible use a stand alone sitemap , my sitemap not have a url from my domain so i see no problem with that? i use xml sitemap pro

but i really need have this explained for me and confirmed first because i do not know what issue a stand alone sitemap could do?

here is the sitemap i use now and it works great https://pro-sitemaps.com/ but i need pay a small amount every month but it works good 

my last word about this is great new feature if it updates correct all the time and have a image sitemap. third party plugins can bee hard to have included maybe i do not know im not a developer but i can understand that is not easy

sorry my bad english folks...:)

The Forum post is edited by OW-Ghost Jul 30 '16
dave Leader
dave Jul 30 '16
I believe thats how it is... 
OW-Ghost
OW-Ghost Jul 30 '16
Dave why i need change the core code for use 1.8.4 version and stand alone sitemap? can you explain it?

or if someone else can explain it

dave Leader
dave Jul 30 '16
Because how i understand it is that the sitemap is built into the core
OW-Ghost
OW-Ghost Jul 30 '16
yes i undersand that clearly...but you can pick what sitemap you want to submit to google? so thats why i no understand why you say we forced use this sitemap in version 1.8.4 not a stand alone sitemap?

or do this build in sitemap create a visible sitemap page? i can not see the issue here with a stand alone sitemap but maybe if i get it explained i will understand if there is a problem or not to use a stand alone sitemap?

the point i try to say is that YOU are the one who pick what sitemap you submit to google and bing and other search engines? or do i need to submit this core sitemap to google? okey i think understand me clearly now :)

dave Leader
dave Jul 30 '16
Just upgrade to 1.8.4 and find out, it is your site marcus, you are the captain of the site, its your resposibility to find out these things. 
Ryan P
Ryan P Jul 31 '16
Thanks Chris_W, that solution sounds logical, but quite a hassle.
Just reverted to back 1.8.3 for now until this is resolved.
OW-Ghost
OW-Ghost Jul 31 '16
Thanks Chris...
OW-Ghost
OW-Ghost Aug 3 '16

Some new information i will share...

There is possible use additional sitemap tools, just make sure that the name of your custom sitemap is not sitemap.xml. Make it, let's say sitemap_latest.xml or any other name. 

That great news for me my sitemap do not have same name as the build in have ...

I will start use the built in sitemap when it will have a image sitemap...

/Marcus

The Forum post is edited by OW-Ghost Aug 3 '16
OW-Ghost
OW-Ghost Aug 3 '16
Thank Chris for share that code :)

Or you can add a sitemap like this one to your website that have image sitemap included, and you not need think about any scripts to add or codes.

Just submit the sitemap to google simple and easy and it updates all the time

https://pro-sitemaps.com/

If someone knows much better third party sitemaps welcome to post it....

The Forum post is edited by OW-Ghost Aug 3 '16
Pages: 1 2 »