We build. You grow.

Get best community software here

Start a social network, a fan-site, an education project with oxwall - free opensource community software

Smoothest Upgrade ever!!!!! | Forum

JoshWho
JoshWho Aug 1 '16
I have noticed a lot of complaints about the last upgrade to version 1.8.4 but I have to honestly say that this time in my experience has been the smoothest upgrade I have ever had. 

Usually I had some kind of errors or something never finished updating but this time no flaws at all during the core upgrade and all of the plugins as well. The only thing I haven't been able to check out yet is the new built in sitemap. For some reason it did not generate for my site but my original sitemap plugin I have already been using still works with no problems so I can actually say I was satisfied with this latest upgrade. 

Over the past few weeks I have been tweaking my centos running apache 5.5.38 and integrated Mariadb version 10.1.16 and have memcached running with the site and I must say it is finally running really smooth now. 

MariaDb is a way better replacement for MYSQL and performs a lot smoother with large queries. All new Centos Installs should have MariaDb as the default sql engine now and I urge anyone that hasn't upgraded to this yet to do so asap. 

I also recommend Centos also not just for performance but also the best security for your server without having to interfere with your php code or modules that might affect your oxwall site. 

Just wanted to add my input to it and maybe it might help figure out why others have problems with their oxwall. No solutions just more info to compare, and hope maybe lead to a solution for others. 

The Forum post is edited by JoshWho Aug 2 '16
dave Leader
dave Aug 1 '16
Thanks for sharing Josh, this is the first i have heard of MariaDb but it sounds great.  I wonder if the volume of users is giving Mysql real competition yet.  And yes i love CentOS it is quite awesome. 

Anitaku
Anitaku Aug 1 '16
I also had a smooth update. well done oxwall. :)

no issues at all.

JoshWho
JoshWho Aug 2 '16
The coolest part about MariaDb is that it is ran by the original dev and creator of Mysql

quote from dave
Thanks for sharing Josh, this is the first i have heard of MariaDb but it sounds great.  I wonder if the volume of users is giving Mysql real competition yet.  And yes i love CentOS it is quite awesome. 

OW-Ghost
OW-Ghost Aug 2 '16
Joshwho you original sitemap plugin can i ask what sitemap plugin you are using?

Can you buy it in the store?

JoshWho
JoshWho Aug 4 '16
Ebenezer Obasi
Ebenezer Obasi Aug 8 '16

Quote from JoshWho The coolest part about MariaDb is that it is ran by the original dev and creator of Mysql

quote from dave

Maria? His daughter's name was My, hence, MySQL. Who is Maria? The wife?
Ebenezer Obasi
Ebenezer Obasi Aug 8 '16
OH! I found my answer in wikipedia. lolz.

"MariaDB is named after Monty's younger daughter Maria, similar to how MySQL is named after his other daughter My."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MariaDB

Quick thinking from my end. lolz

Ebenezer Obasi
Ebenezer Obasi Aug 8 '16
This man is laying a legacy for me. Two daughters, two database management system. hmm

Quick question guys, please why do this guys all have drop out of university? Is dropping out university a requirement for becoming a famous developer or computer scientist?

PS: On the lighter side...

The Forum post is edited by Ebenezer Obasi Aug 8 '16
Darryl B Leader
Darryl B Aug 8 '16
Some people are just blessed with high intellect while most of us have to earn it. Most of it has to do with the paths one chooses from childhood.
JoshWho
JoshWho Aug 9 '16
I'm glad he did it because oracle commercialized everything and unless you was a enterprise customer no more support for mysql but MariaDb will keep you safe. 
Quote from Ebenezer Obasi This man is laying a legacy for me. Two daughters, two database management system. hmm

Quick question guys, please why do this guys all have drop out of university? Is dropping out university a requirement for becoming a famous developer or computer scientist?

PS: On the lighter side...