We build. You grow.

Get best community software here

Start a social network, a fan-site, an education project with oxwall - free opensource community software

Server requirements list? | Forum

Topic location: Forum home » Support » General Questions
Jayme
Jayme Jul 5 '12
Hi,

I'm trying to track down an install problem.  My server meets all the requirements, as posted on "hosting" tab, copied below:

If you plan to host your site elsewhere make sure your host meets the following hosting requirements:

• Linux/Unix/Windows
  • Apache 2 or higher (with mod_rewrite module)
  • PHP 5.2.6 or higher with:
    • register_globals off
    • safe_mode off
    • suPHP off
    • suApache off
    • suhosin off
  • PHP modules:
    • PDO
    • DOM
    • mbstring
    • zip
    • zlib
    • ftp
    • json
  • MySQL 5.0 or higher
  • GD Library 2 with FreeType support
  • Mail server (SendMail, Exim or other)

Are there other, unlisted, requirements that I need to check?  I keep hearing about a few settings that aren't listed here and the moderators get pretty exasperated with people encountering the problems (I can understand that would happen when you have to yack about the same thing over and over).

So, I'm looking for a *complete* list of what needs to be enabled and disabled for an install of 1.4.0 to happen.

Anyone got that?  I would think it's a list of settings that the recommended hosts already received and completed.  

Thanks!

<begin rant>

The recommended hosts don't put all their chips on the board, it seems to me, by saying that their hosting costs ~$4/mo or thereabouts, but waiting until the very end to say that rate only applies if you buy three years' hosting feels dishonest.  If you want to host month-to-month, just to check it out and see if you can even administer it by yourself, three years' commitment is ludicrous.  I want to get it installed on my own current host, whom I'm quite happy with for going on 5 years now.  Why would I leave a company I know and trust for one that advertises one price, but switches to a different one if you don't sign a 3 year lease?

I think Oxwall.org ought to look into who they're recommending a little more closely and reconsider their commitments to companies who act with bait-n-switch type tactics.

<end rant>

Thanks again,

~Jayme