We build. You grow.

Get best community software here

Start a social network, a fan-site, an education project with oxwall - free opensource community software

Bootstrap, Where To Start? - Bootstrap | Forum

Miss Nookie
Miss Nookie Aug 8 '16
Hi Ebenezer!

As you know, I just downloaded your Bootstrap plugin.

What theme would you recommend I use to start at the most basic level, to develop a clean bootstrap theme for an Oxwall/SkaDate site?

I am new to Oxwall, but not to customizing themes.

Thank you so much for offering it, and for suggesting I post here. 

*smiles*

- Nookie
Darryl B Leader
Darryl B Aug 8 '16
Since the Simplicity theme is the base theme, and pretty much a blank canvas, it would probably be the best to customize. The base theme isn't very responsive, but they do have some media queries built in. I did 4 renditions of the Simplicity theme, and made them responsive as well as added some other customizations. It is one of the newer free themes.
Miss Nookie
Miss Nookie Aug 8 '16
Oh. Well, I have that one. I'll pull it out.

I also have a few others that I can cobble from, as needed for details and functionality. LOL!

I'm a code magpie.
Darryl B Leader
Darryl B Aug 8 '16
There are some things you may want to do to have a theme play around with.
1. Create another folder, and copy the theme to it.
2. Edit theme xml file. change the fields as necessary theme name, author, developer key...etc "
If you go to the store / developer tools, you will see your developer key there.

Each theme has to have a unique key for the DB.
Darryl B Leader
Darryl B Aug 8 '16
You can look at the different theme xml files to get an idea.
Miss Nookie
Miss Nookie Aug 8 '16
I've done that. And made my previews and such from my mock-ups.

*smiles*

I'm curious about testing. It seems like the theme pages don't update quickly/easily when I make changes to them. I tend to tweak/test/tweak/test.

Any suggestions on the quickest option, there? Refresh the template page I as I work, then look "live?"
Darryl B Leader
Darryl B Aug 8 '16
If you have the theme live on the site, be sure you have dev mode set to true at the bottom of the config.php. If you don't the changes won't show up.

I'm guessing with this you are having to physically change the base.css for the theme.

The only other option for modification is a custom css box in admin / theme / customize.
Ebenezer Obasi
Ebenezer Obasi Aug 8 '16
Downlaod and intall this plugin https://developers.oxwall.com/store/item/579 for clearing caches.
Miss Nookie
Miss Nookie Aug 8 '16
Fabulous! Will do.

Probably in the morning. I'm hitting 14 hours today, and my brain is about to fry. LOL!

Thank you!
Ebenezer Obasi
Ebenezer Obasi Aug 9 '16
This thread continues https://developers.oxwall.com/forum/topic/49170

Feel free to add your contributions and ask questions.

Thanks

This topic is sticky
This topic is locked
You do not have permission to reply this topic