We build. You grow.

Get best community software here

Start a social network, a fan-site, an education project with oxwall - free opensource community software

Important - Everyone! Feedback needed please! | Forum

David
David Aug 21 '16
And what about people who push out 20 plugins that don't work.... in the time it takes me to order a Big Mac at the drive-thru window?   People, like Aron, for example?
dave Leader
dave Aug 21 '16
Regarding the license purchase - Have Oxwall add an option for that in the plugin form, they do it with other software. They allow you to purchase the basic version or the license free version right on the form. The developer can set the price for that when they set up the plugin.  

All Oxwall has to do is just come up with some kind of a variation in the key to tell the difference between the two maybe a pre key label like  LF-d43843kjfljfeessff   (LF would be License Free) 
Another thing that needs to be added to the TOS is that developers will support their products but are not obligated to support products that have been modified.

I agree that plugins that require other plugins should be limited in price. All plugins that require a payment gateway should be required to have a default gateway installed in the package.  There should be no reason to have to purchase a plugin and then a gateway to go with it. 

I agree on price caps as well. 

I think one plugin a week max submission might handle that somewhat.  Also with some of the new rules that will be enforced i dont think certain developers will hang around long David.  When certain devs are asked to improve their work or get denied, i suspect they will pack up and leave. Which to be honest is probably for the best in some cases.  

The Forum post is edited by dave Aug 21 '16
Webster Molaudi
Webster Molaudi Aug 22 '16
Hi Oxwallers,

Im just going to point out 4 issues as always :

1) These Developers : Purusothaman Ramanujam & YouNet Developers ( BIG PROBLEMS )
2) What you pay for is not always what you get : What is on a Demo isn't what they sell you
3) Plugins not updated after 90 days must be disabled from the store (BUT USERS WITH CURRENT INSTALLED PLUGINS STILL KEEP THEIR LICENSE AND FUNCTIONALITY ON THEIR SITES )
4) Plugins "STILL" not updated after 180 days Dev.'s profile must be suspended  (WITH ABILITY TO TRANSFER COPYRIGHTS TO NEW DEV. WILLING TO TAKE OVER THE UPDATES, AS CLAUSE FOR SELLING IN THE STORE )

Other issues i have been singing too much about them i might as well get a recording deal :(

The Forum post is edited by Webster Molaudi Aug 22 '16
dave Leader
dave Aug 22 '16
Webster thanks for the feedback, now is the time and here is the forum to do that on, i know they are watching this forum.  Just keep it store related please.  But go for it.. :)
David
David Aug 22 '16
Webster Molaudi makes an awesome case, here.  I like his ideas regarding plugins not updated after 90 days... unless there is no significant need and no complaints, of course. 

There are plugins that have been suspended that I would VERY MUCH love to see someone else take over.  The aforementioned "Advanced Comments" plugin is one of those plugins that really was (in my opinion) a "must-have" for Oxwall.  As for the bugs he didn't fix... they were an easy fix, even for me... so I can't see why someone else couldn't take something like this over... and I'm not sure the original author would mind, frankly... because he's stated "hey, I have no time anymore" and left it to rot on the vine, so to speak. 

Been thinking about the feasibility of developers obtaining permissions to take over these soon-to-be-lost gems.  Can it really be as difficult as it seems, Dave?

I'm also very supportive of what Webster said in his rule #4.  I think that's a great way to establish a sense of trust in the community.  Think about it.... we can see the last update on the plugin... we can be assured that if someone goes off the grid and can't/won't maintain it... that it's purged from the store... and that leads to a renewed confidence because we KNOW that what we're buying is an active, supported, ongoing and continuing plugin project... and that it's not a piece of trash.   Good thinking, Webster.  I totally support that!
dave Leader
dave Aug 22 '16
Yes more great ideas love them all thanks webster and everyone else, good stuff!!!! 

Thats what we need, lets keep this going folks, i have invited other developers, if you know some of the develpers personally from the store please invite them to join in. Decisions will be made and they need to voice their opinions now.  
By the way folks,  i was playing the devil today if you did not know, someone had to so i figured why not me.. <(:)-+<

ps.. Chris i did forget to mention that there are other softwares that have the same or very similar setup as Oxwall regarding the core and plugins.  So you said that plugins cannot be used elsewhere oursite of Oxwall, but yes they can with a tiny bit of modding they will fit right into the other softwares.. This is another reason this is sooo important to discuss. 

dave Leader
dave Aug 22 '16
They can always set a cap that is so much % higher than the plugin price so that developers dont over charge for that license.  

But we all also have to compromise a bit folks, this is not going to be resolved overnight, and regardless of what we all come up with and they implement it is not going to make everyone happy.  I dont think we are ever going to get to a point where there is no risk at all on either side, there has to be risk.  

How about the price of the license free version cannot be any more than 60% higher of the original one.   Remember that license free means that the dev does not get any more revenue for that once its sold, thats it, so they have to account for the loss in sales they wont get when selling the license free version.  

And also im not sure if its appropriate to force them to offer one.  What if someone developes a great plugin that noone else can figure out how to do, should they give away such a plugin for baseprice + 60% knowing they wont get any more revenue.  

Im not against the idea i think its a great idea, we just need to consider the options here.  Its one thing to come up with ideas, its another thing to have people use the ideas we put into place.  So we need the idea to be palatable as well. 

David
David Aug 22 '16
Change of plan:  Let's nuke Pittsburgh.  Trust me... nobody will miss it.  And while we're at it... I think 60% higher should be, like... 40% higher, frankly.  But then again, if I were actively developing plugins... I would probably say "bull$h*t" to that idea, too.  so... umm... nevermind. 

I think you're right, Dave... nobody is gonna be 100% thrilled on either side.  Healthy compromise requires healthy concessions on all sides of the table.

So to reiterate the obvious...

1. Clear highlight points on the plugins... what it does... what it does NOT do.

2. Incompatibility with other popular plugins... and conflicts... (if any, to the best of the devs knowledge) clearly marked.

3. Last updated - Clearly- marked.

4. Hierarchy for who to file a report to... should be more clearly defined in a more public place, so we don't have to be frustrated and search for hours...when something DOES go "ass-up"...and we know exactly what channels to go through if Dev decides to be a jerk and not help us.

5. "Report Plugin" or "Report Dev" button... whatever works better... that sends it directly to the powers-that-be...

6. More "powers-that-be"... because it seems like everyone has too much on their plates.

Perhaps the devs should oversee the devs.  You could assign a different one each month... on a rotation basis...to oversee all the complaints...and review each other's work.  I knowwwww...y'all HATE that, huh?   Well... hey, look at it as a "collective endeavor"... you keep each other honest.  And it might teach EVERYONE to be more aware and vigilant of how they are coding and presenting their product.  I think it's a marvy idea.  But, then again, I used to be a Republican. What do I know...

5. A "Fix It Or Refund My Money" policy that is uniform and non-negotiable...for all... across the board.  Don't like it?   Oh well, deal with it.  It makes sense.

6. Cheetos.  Lots and lots of free Cheetos. 

7. I was just kidding about "6".  Or was I?

8. Reviews should be reviewed.  No, seriously.  Half of them are phony... the other half are  not useful. "This plugin is awesome".  "Another great plugin from another great developer"....etc....etc.   GAG me, y'all.  Gimme a break.   Then we buy the plugin and it sucks.  Most reviews... are NOT really reviews, and I think we need to face that fact and change it, somehow.  Don't ask me how, because I don't have a clue.  I also want World Peace and full access to the Oxwall Company Car on the weekends. 

David
David Aug 23 '16
How about some added recognition for the devs who design INCREDIBLE plugins?  Like.. maybe the team (instead of the consumers) should rate a GREAT plugin with 5 stars and make a separate comment?  That way... devs who do GREAT work get a pat on the back, and it will drive buyers towards those plugin so they earn even more revenue?  If we're going to talk about negative incentives to do good work, then we should also talk about options that reward solid code and GREAT developers, as well.
David
David Aug 23 '16
Can't argue with that, Marcus.  All good and valid points.
dave Leader
dave Aug 24 '16
Sorry i have not replied i am sick again, new meds as well, so i will reply in a few days when i get back on my feet.  Keep up the good work, i am proud of all of you for hashing this out, thats a huge part of how change happens.. :)  Keep it up...  And it might be time to do another summation list as well. 
Ryan P
Ryan P Aug 25 '16
1) I think product licenses & plugin access should still be granted if a plugin/product is pulled. The user deserves this

2) Product Description: Many products lack the necessary, detailed description that a user must have. From false claims to leaving out necessary details, I have asked for a refund multiple times due to the fact that the plugin did not do what it stated to do, or left out key information that I would come to find out after purchasing.

3) Developer Communication: I have had MULTIPLE issues when contacting developers about their products. Sometimes it is just a basic question when I am inquiring about their plugin, and other times it has been no responses after I purchase their plugins. If a dev can't respond to customer questions, they should not be selling their products.
David
David Aug 25 '16
I agree with Marcus who agrees with Ryan who we both agree with. 
David
David Aug 25 '16
Every time an update is pushed out... there should be a sticky post explaining EXACTLY what they did on the update.  Sometimes I get updates and I wonder "what's the difference".. and I check the forum and nothing has been posted since Version 3 and we're on version 9.  That kinda pisses me off, too.  LET US KNOW.. what you're fixing, improving, worked on...etc. 
Webster Molaudi
Webster Molaudi Aug 26 '16
Let me explain how this works i have noticed what some developers do like "ARON"

They just make unnecessary changes if there's any changes at all just to push their plugins as the 1st one on "LATEST" page so that users notice their plugins first. I doubt they make any changes this should be regulated to make them tell us what changes they made, if ou pay attention with aron is there's a new plugin he will update to push it down so his plugins show up 1st.
The Forum post is edited by Webster Molaudi Aug 26 '16
David
David Aug 29 '16
Are we done here?  Because I sure was hoping to hear from some developers and other consumers... and some input from the powers-that-be....
Miss Nookie
Miss Nookie Sep 4 '16
I am late to this conversation, but I have some ideas and thoughts to share after reading it through.

Suspending a plugin or archiving it: There has been much talk of the licensing. Why not go another route? If a plugin is archived or suspended, Oxwall could create a "Need Development" section, with the specs of a plugin, screenshots, and a call to developers to create something that will pick up the ball from where it was dropped.

This is a win-win for Oxwall and the users.

--

Someone mentioned developers creating multiple accounts in the store to scam users. How are developer accounts confirmed? Do you actually check to make sure they are real people?

--

I agree that the review system is ineffective, and it would be ideal if developers were listed with an overall average rating that reflects ALL of their plugins.

I like the rubric/weighted points that have been made.

--

I think that creating code standards is important. Clean code, commented code, good README files, etc.

--

This was mentioned:

Incompatibility with other popular plugins... and conflicts... (if any, to the best of the devs knowledge) clearly marked.

This would be ideal, if there were a testing site that allowed demo admins to test ALL plugins against others from the store.

Demo admins could choose "Only Core Plugins" as a base, then add on the ones they have and the ones they want, to see what happens. So every plugin would be installed for testing, as soon as they are added to the site.

There would be multiple versions of the demo:

180.oxwalldemo.com
182.oxwalldemo.com
184.oxwalldemo.com

For different versions.

Once it's set up, it's easy for everyone to test.

--

This was mentioned:

A "Fix It Or Refund My Money" policy that is uniform and non-negotiable...for all... across the board.  Don't like it?   Oh well, deal with it.  It makes sense.

Mediated by the Oxwall store.

--

That's what I have for now.
Miss Nookie
Miss Nookie Sep 4 '16
Unless it automatically resets every 30 minutes? Reloads entirely fresh content.
Miss Nookie
Miss Nookie Sep 4 '16
And if that happens regularly, then that's an issue, too, yes?

Again, just thoughts. *smiles*
Miss Nookie
Miss Nookie Sep 4 '16
Right. So, that would be a way to actually test things. It wouldn't cover custom code, like what I'm handling, but I'll have a test server for that, anyway.

*smiles*
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 »