We build. You grow.

Get best community software here

Start a social network, a fan-site, an education project with oxwall - free opensource community software

How to add Cloud (Amazon S3) to a plugin | Forum

Omari
Omari Aug 25 '16
Hi guys can anyone tell me how this is done or point me to some documentation? I know Oxwall supports cloud support for its plugins by default.
Chris
Chris Nov 6 '16
How does Oxwall support cloud support for its plugins?
Oxwall Tips
Oxwall Tips Nov 9 '16
Omari,

https://wiki.oxwall.com/install:cloud_hosting:amazons3

This is  base config, therefore will work for any plugin that stores data in ow_userfiles directory.
Omari
Omari Nov 9 '16

Quote from Oxwall Tips Omari,

https://wiki.oxwall.com/install:cloud_hosting:amazons3

This is  base config, therefore will work for any plugin that stores data in ow_userfiles directory.
Hi Oxwall Tips, I can confirm that this is not true, a plugin needs to be be specifically configured to use amazon s3 cloud support.
Oxwall Tips
Oxwall Tips Nov 9 '16
Can you share the testing you did ?
Omari
Omari Nov 9 '16
I can't share the testing, because it was done by two previous developers I worked with. I myself am not a devloper or a coder.

However what you can do is use any 3rd party plugin (not a default one) that stores user files; and check the file storage location with cloud support enabled. 

You will find that the file is stored in the sitename/ow_userfiles directory and not on Amazon.

Let me know you thoughts.

Chris
Chris Nov 10 '16
I have carried out the actions to use Amazon s3 and it functioned, but with problems.  The header changed and wouldn't accept a new photo.  Also it did not use the amended css.   I gave up using it.
The Forum post is edited by Chris Nov 10 '16
Omari
Omari Nov 10 '16
This thread isn't about adding cloud support to Oxwall, its about making 3rd party plugins able to use Oxwall's built in cloud support. By default they cannot.
Quote from Chris I have carried out the actions to use Amazon s3 and it functioned, but with problems.  The header changed and wouldn't accept a new photo.  Also it did not use the amended css.   I gave up using it.

Chris
Chris Nov 12 '16
Omani,  yes true.  I think my point is that Amazon s3 won't work with Oxwall and by default it's plugins.  I'm just a limited knowledge operator and frankly if it won't work for me, I'd guess it won't work for 80% of Oxwall users at least.