We build. You grow.

Get best community software here

Start a social network, a fan-site, an education project with oxwall - free opensource community software

VERY strange 500 error. | Forum

Gerry
Gerry Nov 14 '16
I'm trying to set up my first Oxwall site to use as a test site.

My VPS is set up and running. A static holding page works fine. BUT, as soon as I upload my Oxwall files, the domain is down with a 500 error. I dont even get as far as the first installation page. The holding page cant be reached, neither can phpinfo that I put on to try and see if there was an issue there.

Anyone had this, or know what the issue is?
dave Leader
dave Nov 14 '16
Hi, welcome to Oxwall. 

Does your server meet the specs on the right side of this page? 
https://developers.oxwall.com/hosting

Gerry
Gerry Nov 14 '16
Pretty sure it does.

But if it wasnt, that wouldnt cause this simply by uploading the zip file, and extracting it, or would it? I'm no VPS expert.
dave Leader
dave Nov 14 '16
well yes and no, uploading the zip would not, extracting it would not, but trying to access the install if something is not right with the server yes that would cause 500
dave Leader
dave Nov 14 '16
here is how you can check those items.. or ask your host... 

https://developers.oxwall.com/forum/topic/47677

Just remember that since you have unzipped the oxwall files now you will need to do that phpinfo in your config file.  Oxwall is set up so that it will not run anything but its own files unless you tell it, but that is a different matter.  Just do the second part of that process in that link i gave you and check your phpinfo

The Forum post is edited by dave Nov 14 '16
Gerry
Gerry Nov 14 '16
All no Oxwall files except the cgi-bin have been removed. Nothing has changed.

I just took this from the error log. I think it may be part or all of the issue, but have no idea how to fix it.

"[13-Nov-2016 17:22:35 UTC] PHP Fatal error:  Call to undefined function mb_internal_encoding() in /home/devsite/public_html/ow_includes/init.php on line 35[13-Nov-2016 17:22:36 UTC] PHP Fatal error:  Call to undefined function mb_internal_encoding() in /home/devsite/public_html/ow_includes/init.php on line 35[13-Nov-2016 17:22:45 UTC] PHP Fatal error:  Call to undefined function mb_internal_encoding() in /home/devsite/public_html/ow_includes/init.php on line 35[13-Nov-2016 17:50:27 UTC] PHP Fatal error:  Call to undefined function mb_internal_encoding() in /home/devsite/public_html/ow_includes/init.php on line 35[13-Nov-2016 18:32:05 UTC] PHP Fatal error:  Call to undefined function mb_internal_encoding() in /home/devsite/public_html/ow_includes/init.php on line 35[13-Nov-2016 19:16:03 UTC] PHP Fatal error:  Call to undefined function mb_internal_encoding() in /home/devsite/public_html/ow_includes/init.php on line 35[13-Nov-2016 19:16:05 UTC] PHP Fatal error:  Call to undefined function mb_internal_encoding() in /home/devsite/public_html/ow_includes/init.php on line 35[14-Nov-2016 10:33:10 UTC] PHP Fatal error:  Call to undefined function mb_internal_encoding() in /home/devsite/public_html/ow_includes/init.php on line 35[14-Nov-2016 10:33:10 UTC] PHP Fatal error:  Call to undefined function mb_internal_encoding() in /home/devsite/public_html/ow_includes/init.php on line 35"

dave Leader
dave Nov 14 '16
It looks like you dont have mb_string enabled on your server, did you check your phpinfo() as i suggested?

Are you using cpanel WHM?  If so then go into easyapache option and enable mb_string

The Forum post is edited by dave Nov 14 '16
Gerry
Gerry Nov 14 '16
Yes, I have WHM. I'll have a look and try that.
dave Leader
dave Nov 14 '16
OK while your in there check for some of the other items on that list i showed you and also check your php modules as well while your there. 
Gerry
Gerry Nov 15 '16
I had to installl MBstring 3 times because of different versions, and had to do the same for zip.

But now have an working test site to experiment with before launching public.

Many thanks for your help Dave.
dave Leader
dave Nov 15 '16
You are very welcome Gerry, again welcome to Oxwall.  If you need anything, a team member,  myself or other volunteers im sure will be able to help you.  Glad you got it working.. :)