We build. You grow.

Get best community software here

Start a social network, a fan-site, an education project with oxwall - free opensource community software

[Solved] Change a member username | Forum

Topic location: Forum home » Support » General Questions
James Geddes
James Geddes Nov 27 '16
We have received a complaint that a member has chosen an inappropriate username. As an administrator, how can I change it?
The Forum post is edited by James Geddes Nov 27 '16
Darryl B Leader
Darryl B Nov 27 '16
As the admin; you can edit profile details, including username. You would need to send an email to the user notifying them of the change, and the reason for the cnage,. They can login with the credentials you set for them, and change their username from there to something more suitable.
James Geddes
James Geddes Nov 27 '16
Exactly how do I change the username? I cannot see any option to.
James Geddes
James Geddes Nov 27 '16
Worked it out; you just press the "Edit Profile Details" button when you hover over the profile
OW-Ghost
OW-Ghost Nov 27 '16
I think you can use https://www.mysite.com/admin/users/restricted-usernames for names in future that you not want your new members that sign up to your website use.
The Forum post is edited by OW-Ghost Nov 27 '16
Darryl B Leader
Darryl B Nov 27 '16
Glad you got it. I forgot to mention the part about hovering to see the "Edit Profile" button.

As Marcus points out; you can add that name to your restricted list in case the user tries to change it back.
Tecca
Tecca Jan 8 '17
I know this is an old(ish) topic, but I Googled this myself and it's the most recent. For the sake of clarity, if anyone has changed the Profile Questions option on Username and unchecked the option to view it "On Profile Edit," you as an admin won't be able to see the field when editing the user.

This is for those, like me, that use usernames as display names and don't allow changes, except possibly via request. You'll have to go back in, allow viewing in the profile edit page, edit the profile, then turn it back off.

OW-Ghost
OW-Ghost Jan 8 '17
Bryan yes this is a issue that can bee frustrating. i have the same problem with email,username and looking for. i need change this allow to edit everytime me as admin need change this 3 things and put it back so no other users can edit it.

admin ahould always have access to edit profile questions in my opinion and not need turn it on and off for edit things like this

it can bee frustrating as admin not have this tools and if you have this edit tools everyone on you website have it to

The Forum post is edited by OW-Ghost Jan 8 '17
Jordi
Jordi Mar 18 '17
i would love this function to