We build. You grow.

Get best community software here

Start a social network, a fan-site, an education project with oxwall - free opensource community software

Syncing live and dev sites | Forum

Topic location: Forum home » Support » General Questions
Reinhard Sacher
Reinhard Sacher Dec 8 '16
One major problem with many frameworks I worked with (Drupal, Joomla...) is:

How do you make changes in your development site and transfer changes to the live site (assuming you try out things in a dev-environment first)

Especially the database part of it - like config-changes, new tables etc.. 

While you could start off with transfering database and files from LIVE->DEV, make changes and transfer back DEV->LIVE, you would then miss all user-created-content (postings, new  registrations...) during the time you develop, which can be hours, days at least.

So, you would need to "selectively" overwrite tables when syncing DEV->LIVE...

only overwriting/inserting tables/records with config-entries 

Which poses the question: Is there a database structural diagram available, which shows dependencies of the user-content-tables..?

(So you could exclude these tables from overwriting)

I hope this question makes sense...?

Is there a better way..?

dave Leader
dave Dec 8 '16
Hi RS, 

No there is no layout of the database as you suggest, there are helpful posts and some guides we can show you but youll have to have some experience to read between the lines. 

It all depends on what your trying to accomplish.

Are you trying to build a plugin?

Are you changing the core code to meet your needs?

The Forum post is edited by dave Dec 8 '16
Reinhard Sacher
Reinhard Sacher Dec 8 '16
I think there are many occasions where this is a problem, not only plugins-development or core-mods...

For example: 

- adding translation terms for installed languages, 

- but most of all testing/installing/moving/activating new plugins that come with their own database tables...

You talked about helpful posts and guides... maybe I find some.. maybe you or someone else can give us hints where to find these...

... I have quite some experience with databases and coding, so I could try to "read between lines" :-)

The Forum post is edited by Reinhard Sacher Dec 8 '16
dave Leader
dave Dec 8 '16
I have a developement site as well as a live site.  And i never have to sync them dynamically.  Just make a change to one, test it.  And when it works the way i want it to then i just replace the file or files over on the live site.  

If its a plugin i just uninstall, make the file changes or db changes, reinstall. 

I personally think that syncing developement and live areas dynamically can be dangerious.  

I think that maybe the best place for you to start is to get to know the structure of oxwall itself and how it works.  Then i think youll feel better about what im saying. 

Very basic flow chart 

https://developers.oxwall.com/forum/topic/47281

Understanding Oxwall plugin structure - video

https://developers.oxwall.com/forum/topic/48472

Structure (text)

http://codex.oxwall.com/en/latest/plugin_structure.html

I think thats a good start.. after that if you have more questions please ask, i or someone will be glad to help ;)

The Forum post is edited by dave Dec 8 '16
Sean
Sean Jul 5 '18
Hello, this post is very much informative. I have gathered so much information from this post. I was making an site Edubirdie.com before and while making that I got stuck in very difficult situation then I took help from my friend. But after reading your post and answers which has been post by other members of this forum very thoroughly. Now if I stuck in this problem again, I can do it myself. Thanks a alot