We build. You grow.

Get best community software here

Start a social network, a fan-site, an education project with oxwall - free opensource community software

Update caused 500 error! | Forum

Topic location: Forum home » Support » General Questions
James Geddes
James Geddes Dec 28 '16
Hi everyone,

I've just attempted to update Geek.Zone to the latest version of oxwall, only for it to return a 500 error! I cannot get through to the site now!

What has happened? How do I fix it?

Thanks!

James

James Geddes
James Geddes Dec 28 '16
Just got our hosting company to do a restore, but that does clearly not rectify the problem.

We found the following error in the logs

PHP Parse error:  syntax error, unexpected 'class' (T_CLASS), expecting identifier (T_STRING) or variable (T_VARIABLE) or '{' or '$' in /home1/jamesge1/public_html/geek-zone/ow_core/singleton.php on line 13

What has caused this? We are currently running on Platform version 1.7.4 (build 9100), but would like to update to the latest version. How can I do this if it just crashes!?

Darryl B Leader
Darryl B Dec 28 '16
The error that you are seeing has been related to the PHP version. As of Oxwall version 1.8.2 the minimum PHP version is 5.5.
James Geddes
James Geddes Dec 28 '16
I will check our PHP version, however this is an error that should have been caught before it returned a 500 and crashed the site.
Darryl B Leader
Darryl B Dec 28 '16
Not sure about the 500 error. There is a huge gap between 1.7.4 and 1.8.4. Outdated plugins, or themes may be part of it. Make sure you follow the update guidelines when you try to update again. The post is old, but effective.

https://developers.oxwall.com/forum/topic/24134
James Geddes
James Geddes Dec 28 '16

Quote from Darryl B Make sure you follow the update guidelines when you try to update again.
Thanks for the pointer, however we won't be trying again as we have decided it is time to migrate.
dave Leader
dave Jan 5 '17
Sorry to see you go James, and i totally understand your frustration, sorry i was out for the holiday and then on another project, im glad Darryl was around to assist you. 

However, James i know you have been around the block enough and have enough experience with projects to know that when you let any script lapse as far back as you did, jumping updates of that bridge length can be challenging even with the best of scripts.  This is why the golden rule has always been to keep it updated. 

Even with the best of scripts if you dont follow the changed requirement needs it will fail.  This is the business we are in and its not always pretty.   

I do appreciate your assistance you provided for others while you were here and i hope your new project environment is a positive one, if not we would love to have you back with us. If you decide to stay please let us know and we will try to walk you through this so you can have an successful update.  

Dave ;)