We build. You grow.

Get best community software here

Start a social network, a fan-site, an education project with oxwall - free opensource community software

Fundamental Oxwall Core Features Still Missing | Forum

Jean DeJean
Jean DeJean Nov 29 '16
By the way, I encourage everybody here to make a donation through: https://developers.oxwall.com/donation

Even though it won't advocate the features we're talking about, maybe it will!
OW-Ghost
OW-Ghost Nov 30 '16
Any other great ideas ?
dave Leader
dave Nov 30 '16
i wrote the powers that be in Oxwall regarding this contribution idea and their reply is that at this time they are not able to manage any other kind of official program due to manpower limitations.  They wish us well and do support the idea however they cannot be involved in managing it in any way. 

They did also support me running such a program however honestly folks without the Oxwall url on the contributions, it would be a huge can of worms and thats not for me. 

Sorry folks i wish i had better news... we will think of something.. :) 

Update: just thought of this.. what about instead of dealing directly with cash which seems to be the issue here, we deal with a pledge instead.  And then once we figure out who is going to do the project and how much it will cost, we then ask those that pledge to pay that developer directly according to their pledge amount.  It would be the same as contributions because if there are not enough pledges then we cant pay anyone. 

What this would mean is that we would have to choose trustworthy developers to do jobs.  Once the jobs are done and we pay the developer then the developer agrees to turn that code over to oxwall for inclusion into the core.  It also means that we have to be able to trust pledges, if you dishonor 1 pledge your out, we will not accept any more pledges from you, we have to be able to trust every pledge. 

I have also done a follow up message with Oxwall to see if we do this on our own, if they will accept the code from the developer for inclusion into the core. 

If they are willing to accept the code (checking it of course for correctness) then i am willing as part of my contribution to do a quick website where you can log in and make your pledge.  There are pledge websites but they take a cut of the pledges, with mine there will be no cut.  

The Forum post is edited by dave Nov 30 '16
Carsten
Carsten Dec 2 '16
I'm new to this, but i have a bad feeling about all this already.

Why you ask ?

To me there's a major thing here. Two so called entities under the same roof. Both relying on the same ground software(core). One is payed and one is free, with some sort of shared development. This is not good cause we'll never get features in the free version that can be sold in the payed version - why would a business do otherwise ?

So as i see it, the only way is to fork it. That's the only way we'll get the features needed. And let me say, "I'm not the one to do it", i'm just at a "hack"-level of php ;-)

And i don't think i'm a pessimist, i think i'm a realist ;-)

EDIT: And just take a look at this thread too: https://developers.oxwall.com/...m/topic/51458?page=3
The Forum post is edited by Carsten Dec 2 '16
dave Leader
dave Dec 2 '16
Its the same topic Carsten lmao :)

SD how do you feel about the pledge idea, im sure your dissapointed over their reply but that does not mean we have to give up on this. 

Senior Developer Leader
Senior Developer Dec 2 '16
I like that idea too.

But I'm certainly more worried for the almost null response from the supporters. I count 4 supporters (non-developers) in this topic. The problem is always the same, not enough people in the forum. If we are going to make this real, we need to start making some SEO right now so we can start with everything the next year. I don't see any other way.

dave Leader
dave Dec 2 '16
I think another battle we have not thought about is that what if pledgers dont want their funds used for anything but what they want. 

For example:  someone pledges $20 towards a particular feature and they are the only ones that want that feature.  They are going to be upset if their pledge is used for anything else.  We could end up with 20 pledges for 20 different features and noone will budge or share.

I agree about the lack of involvement.  But assuming we go forward with this.  I can whip up a simple pledge site if you want to handle the Github fork. 

The Forum post is edited by dave Dec 2 '16
OW-Ghost
OW-Ghost Dec 2 '16
fork and pledge is new english words for me as not english native speaker i need translate this 2 words first before i say anything about this idea, so i really understand what the idea is about. bee back later to give my review about this.

yes i agree involment developers here is very low i feel developers who run this business are very proud. and proud people are hard to convince about new ideas that not come from them. BUT i can bee totally wrong but this it is only my feeling...i hope i wrong

there is nothing to loose to try new ideas it can only bee better and it is easy remove a new idea if it not works

I would like to know if oxwal team are happy with they system like it are or if they want make changes? i missing some team member jump in and speak little here about our ideas

The Forum post is edited by OW-Ghost Dec 2 '16
dave Leader
dave Dec 2 '16
A fork is a eating utensil - you know like a spoon but with points lol.. 

No jk... 

A fork has to do with GitHub and forking a copy of the Oxwall script to a section of GitHub where people can work on it without messing with the master copy. 

A pledge just means that someone "promises" to give so much.  They give their word "pledge" that they will give $??? to a project.  Their pledge should be as good as cash, so when we are ready to pay the developer we call for the pledges and everyone pays the developer then from their account in the amount they pledge. 

Thats why i said that everyone has to honor their pledge, if they dont then this will never work, we have to hold them to their pledge. 

The Forum post is edited by dave Dec 2 '16
OW-Ghost
OW-Ghost Dec 2 '16

right now i feel try any new ideas because it could only bee better...but i guess need some developers bee interested like SD told

i have a little lack of interest do things better because little support from the oxwall team in this forum...

at least some comments from someone from oxwall team would bee nice to see sometimes....

nice to see some people have interest still make things better....my hat off for you

a good leader is a leader that shows open he interest in new ideas at least comment them and tell what he thinks...it just that he talk in public sometimes that make his business much better if he do...or some boss here...someone from this team

i take a holiday from this to a see someone from oxwall team show interest in the forum....

The Forum post is edited by OW-Ghost Dec 2 '16
James Geddes
James Geddes Dec 28 '16
Looks like the update system does not work properly either. Just tried to update from Platform version 1.7.4 (build 9100) to the latest version, but got a 500 error returned
OW-Ghost
OW-Ghost Dec 28 '16
James you should post you "update issue" on another place on this forum. this topic is not about update the core from 1.7.4 to 1.8.4 

happy new year!

James Geddes
James Geddes Dec 28 '16

Quote from Marcus James you should post you "update issue" on another place on this forum. this topic is not about update the core from 1.7.4 to 1.8.4 

happy new year!

I am not trying to report the issue here; as you will notice from my above post, I am just adding it to the list.
James Geddes
James Geddes Dec 28 '16
I have been looking around at the state of the social platform market and have found the Wikipedia article Comparison of social networking software. After counting up the different attributes listed, I have found that Oxwall ranks almost last, with just 10 categories fulfilled. In comparison, the top product is Dolphin, which ticks the boxes in 22 categories.

This arguably negates any suggestions that Oxwall is worth spending time and money developing further. As we head into 2017, Oxwall would need to go back to basics and fix its foundations. Since the fundamentals of Dolphin and Tiki Wiki are already in place, however, they will be able to keep up with the latest trends and requirements, allowing community leaders to attract members.

We have discussed the tremendously long list of fundamentals that Oxwall is missing, and forking and rebuilding have been suggested as possible solutions. I feel that since Oxwall is now so far behind, it would probably be best to simply retire the project entirely. I do not say that lightly, as I have put a lot of time and effort into trying to find and report the issues, however there is only one kind thing to do when your dog has been overcome by an enormous number of bugs.

For us at GeekZone, the recent update error was the straw that broke the camels back. Engagement has been low for some time, as users find Oxwall clunky and not user friendly, so we have decided to cut our losses. We will therefore begin our analysis of Dolphin and Tiki Wiki, and will migrate away from Oxwall by March 2017.

The Forum post is edited by James Geddes Dec 28 '16
OW-Ghost
OW-Ghost Dec 28 '16
James i have been looking around to but i could not find a better solution. i have try other social platforms and they are missing always something that oxwall have and what oxwall not have they have. so when i was not win anything to move to another platform because there is always something missing that they other not have but oxwall have.

for me is the SEO the huge issue for me that i fighting with and try now build up a better on page SEO and create my own SEO plugins. i use skadate so my mobile apps is cover the huge issue with no mobile version that support plugins but not enough i hope it will bee better i have my mobile version OFF as many others because it have same seriously issues like no language change button or users can not edit they profiles. mobile version have no good speed and missing alot about speed if you check googles speed tool the mobile version is slow compare to dekstop version. so i will wait for activate my mobile version when i know this big issues have been solved plus all oxwall BASIC plugins is not working on mobile version like the EVENT plugin that i feel is very sad and i hope they will update that soon...

the mobile tehnology is the future it no mather how muvh money and effort i spend on my desktop version if i not have any mobile solution for 60% of my members. you need have both or you totally lost or sold in this hard market this days.

as far as this review sites i trust them 0% they always want benefits from the software they place in top of thsis review sites, i trust my own reviews of the software.... it is always best make your own review

and the last word from me will bee

SEO must always come FIRST always! the other things have to come after that....you no need a fancy site with no bugs and errors people need SEE you website for you to success nothing else mathers and in this area oxwall is far from bee best solution but i see they have take steps to try fix this and i hope they continue doing that because there is issues with multilanguage sites at oxwall but they told me fix for this will come soon.....more effort on SEO this is my opinion and mobile version solutions. desktop version is not eveyrthing it just a part of you business in my case 40% of my business

The Forum post is edited by OW-Ghost Dec 28 '16
Carsten
Carsten Dec 29 '16
To me, Dolphin is not the way to go.

Tiki does not render at all in any of my browsers. It looks like someone threw a grenade ;-)

There's something about Oxwall that speaks to me. We just need to find a way to fix things. And as i've stated earlier, this setup here is not good; We need a "fork".

EDIT: http://devblog.oxwall.com/...ve-powered-by-oxwall
"It is not accidental that we use CPAL license. It’s less restrictive than GPL, for example, because it doesn’t make you release any derivative works under the same license. With CPAL you can keep your version closed, include it in larger works, sell your own distributions, fork and relicense, whatever."
EDIT STOP.

Is there anywhere i can get into the deep with how Oxwall works, how it's structured and where what is and what what does, and by this i mean the code ?

I come from Wordpress and have no insight to this, so i need a rundown. I have looked at the docs, ohh yes, and a lot of missing ones too. So is there an external source where i can read and/or view how things work ?
The Forum post is edited by Carsten Dec 29 '16
Ilja
Ilja Dec 29 '16
I don't see anyone who wants to dig deep into Oxwall code. So I consider this project dead.

I was looking for alternatives over a year ago. Since I can afford a paid version I found a SocialEngine much more powerful. Haven't checked boonex, but I believe it is also ok. 

Actually for me the biggest problem with oxwall is lack of development. Not features. There are bunch of bugs reported by me, and nobody fixed it for years. It's normal - when project is dead.

The biggest problem with moving to other platforms is data migration. This holds me locked. If there would be a tool to move at least 50% of data - I would retire from oxwall fans. 

Carsten
Carsten Dec 29 '16
I want to, but i'm new, so i need some help :)

I have looked at a lot of other social/dating script/software's, and to me Oxwall is the one who fits me the best. I want and need to know how it works to fix the things that does not work.

I don't care about what they wanna do or not do, as i see the whole setup as a problem. You cannot run two strains of the same software, one that is paid and one that is not. It does not work. All focus will be on the paying gig. So many posts here tells that exact story.
OW-Ghost
OW-Ghost Dec 29 '16
i was check socialengine and it might bee powerful as a "desktop version" but this programmers who always use desktop at home always forget put more effort on mobile support for 50%-60& of you customers. I love dektop version to and not use mobile very much but that not means there is other people do the same. 

This smart developers and programmes is always like modify code on desktop software because they use only desktop . but please wake up from the pc table the mobile revulotion is already here and it grows only bigger!

Simik
Simik Jan 29 '17

Quote from IntrigUAdd to this list support for emails in languages other than English. This is a definite gap as oxwall supports multiple languages on the front end, but all emails are in english (with the exception of verification email)
YES YES AND YES 

This is absolutely basic. It's really not normal that all emails are sent in the default language. They have to be sent in user's language. Only the verification email works fine. 

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 »