We build. You grow.

Get best community software here

Start a social network, a fan-site, an education project with oxwall - free opensource community software

Adding PayPal paid membership button | Forum

Kevin
Kevin Jan 11 '17
I have signed up and generated buttons at PayPal for testing.

The attachment shows the PayPal button html code that I pasted into the Paid Membership plugin html. Hoping I have a basic html error, because while the existing code displays the plugin info, the PayPal button (see attached snapshot) I added does not appear.

Why am I doing this... Would like to use the recurring PayPal billing that the button offers.

Thanks.

Attachments:
  Premium.JPG (123Kb)
  PayPal Button.JPG (8Kb)
Darryl B Leader
Darryl B Jan 11 '17
I'm not a programmer by any means, but I don't see how that is going to work. The code would probably show, if pasted in a custom html box, but there is no integration to the platform. Even if it displayed through the plugins html file; there is no supporting code in the plugin to integrated it. Everything would have to be handled manually.
Kevin
Kevin Jan 11 '17
The code is done on the PayPal site. The snapshot shows what it would display, and the owners PayPal email is encrypted and sends the user to PayPal.

That above part for processing will work. However I have not done any custom HTML pages and was hoping to leverage the existing code of the plugin for this payment option.

Figures I would also add description above showing what was included in standard and Premium levels. Dumb question-what do you mean by a custom HTML box?

I have been tweaking HTML in other plugins, but minor in comparison...
dave Leader
dave Jan 11 '17
+1 Darryl

A custom html box is in your widget edit area for the main and profile pages, its just a custom widget that displays custom html code. You just drag the widget link from the top parked area to where you want to show it and then put code in there. 

I have just set up a contribution page using custom pages and thats how you should do it. But if you really want to add it to the membership plugin then it does not hurt to try however like Darryl said it may parse the html but there is no integration either way and it will have to all be done manually. 

Also dont forget to add your disclaimer under your subscription button that advises them in order to cancel the subscription they need to log into their paypal account and cancel the subscription via the subscription page and that you cannot cancel subscriptions. 

The Forum post is edited by dave Jan 11 '17
Darryl B Leader
Darryl B Jan 11 '17
The custom html widget that is available when you customize the main page. I think you have them available on the dashboard, and I know it is available for the profile page. I've done some of the small things to some of the plugins. I was thinking that with something like the that the system would need to know they've paid, and, and grant them access, and be able to block the access if the membership ran out. Without any integration they could pay, or not pay unless you used mandatory user approve, but then you would have to track their membership status.  It seems like the code would need to be integrated with the system.
dave Leader
dave Jan 11 '17
Correct Darryl.  Kevin you are better off asking the developer to add a subscription option to the plugin than trying to do it yourself. The main reason is that if you mess up the plugin and ask for support they may not help you because you modified the plugin. 
Kevin
Kevin Jan 12 '17
Thanks for all the info and suggestions. Also had not considered the note about how to cancel. I have code for a Cancel button, but would rather they go directly to PayPal.

When site goes live this month, everyone will have full features as part of normal registration. Will be adding something that lets them know Premium role coming in a few months. I have some time before I try and implement. Just wanted to test out and get to see how it work before Users on the site. (Last month would have been better ;)

Now I understand your points about code needed to a) select role within the plugin, and b) remove upon expiration. Will also wait on Aron to see if he is available for changes.

Thanks