We build. You grow.

Get best community software here

Start a social network, a fan-site, an education project with oxwall - free opensource community software

Please update phpmailer library | Forum

Alexander Hu
Alexander Hu Feb 26 '17
Latest stable version of oxwall still uses old version, which is vulnerable.

I recommend all users to replace it with current version from Github.

Carsten
Carsten Feb 28 '17
I'm still new to Oxwall. Ho do you update it ?

I can't seam to figure out where all the files go.
OW-Ghost
OW-Ghost Mar 2 '17
i want to replace it to how to do?

why old version vulnerable?

Alexander Hu
Alexander Hu Mar 2 '17
Funny that nobody noticed that...
Seriously, how can you relate to an unfixed project like that?

Proof:
legalhackers.com/advisories/PHPMailer-Exploit-Remote-Code-Exec-CVE-2016-10033-Vuln.html
Bug since last December.
Carsten
Carsten Mar 7 '17
And why are you not telling us how to update it ??
OW-Ghost
OW-Ghost Mar 7 '17
looks no good and i not very suprised. share how to update and fix it 
Alexander Hu
Alexander Hu Mar 8 '17
Sorry, but if you would be able to do it yourself, you wouldn't ask.

There are many other bugs i've already fixed...

OW-Ghost
OW-Ghost Mar 8 '17

Quote from Alexander Hu Sorry, but if you would be able to do it yourself, you wouldn't ask.

There are many other bugs i've already fixed...

i confused about how you talking? do you want help or not help?
Carsten
Carsten Mar 10 '17
Nope, he doesn't.
Alexander Hu
Alexander Hu Mar 10 '17
What do you want?
A step-by-step tutorial?

Sorry guys, this is basic stuff, not rocket science.
If you can't handle this, you'd better shut down your communities.

I've shown you proof that it's broken, and all you say is: please help to fix this?
Guys, wake up! If you want to run a community, you have the responsibility for the data you handle from your users.

Use Google, educate yourself!
OW-Ghost
OW-Ghost Mar 10 '17
Alexander Hu

Not all are developers and coders that why there is a oxwall forum for get help sometimes.

One more thing do you think oxwall or any software in the world is safe?

Educate you self and look around at google and you see no software are safe!

Rent or borrow someone else software is in my opinion NEVER safe even that people here will say it is i know it is not true.

I take the risk because like many other here we no have the time or money to create our own software so that is the price you have to pay i guess. but again this is my opinion

there is always people that find loopholes in the software every month and day and it will never stops.

it could help some people not bee hacked but there is so many other loopholes that we do not aware of

The Forum post is edited by OW-Ghost Mar 10 '17
Carsten
Carsten Mar 11 '17
Let him be. He just wants to pride himself.

I don't care. As i wrote, i'm new to Oxwall, so some day someone, that would like to help other, will show how it's done. Until that, i won't give it a thought :)
OW-Ghost
OW-Ghost Mar 11 '17
+1 Carsten ....I agree 
Theo
Theo Mar 25 '17

@Alexander Hu you fixed many bugs? is that in Oxwall core? I really hope you share this with the core developers. Keeping it to yourselves does not benefit yourself or the community at large, especially when they have given you a free software to use.

To update your PHPmailer:

- Download phpmailer: https://github.com/PHPMailer/PHPMailer (by clicking the green button called 'clone or download' and click on 'Download zip')

- Uncompress the file on your desktop and rename 'PHPMailer-master' to 'phpmailer'

- Navigate to /ow_libraries/vendor/phpmailer/ directory in your installation on server.

- Rename the directory /ow_libraries/vendor/phpmailer/phpmailer to phpmailer.old

- Upload the new phpmailer you have rename and downloaded to your desktop to /ow_libraries/vendor/phpmailer/

OW-Ghost
OW-Ghost Mar 25 '17

Quote from Theo

@Alexander Hu you fixed many bugs? is that in Oxwall core? I really hope you share this with the core developers. Keeping it to yourselves does not benefit yourself or the community at large, especially when they have given you a free software to use.

- Download phpmailer: https://github.com/PHPMailer/PHPMailer (by clicking the green button called 'clone or download' and click on 'Download zip')

- Uncompress the file on your desktop and rename 'PHPMailer-master' to 'phpmailer'

- Navigate to /ow_libraries/vendor/phpmailer/ directory in your installation on server.

- Rename the directory /ow_libraries/vendor/phpmailer/phpmailer to phpmailer.old

- Upload the new phpmailer you have rename and downloaded to your desktop to /ow_libraries/vendor/phpmailer/

+1 Thanks for sharing this
OW-Ghost
OW-Ghost Mar 25 '17
I did the update now , i hope it works :) thanks again
Carsten
Carsten Mar 26 '17
It works, or at least, it does not break anything regarding sending emails :)

The crack is fixed, so everything is good now :)
IntrigU
IntrigU Mar 30 '17
Confirming that this method works. 
Quote from Theo

Bruce Tran
Bruce Tran Apr 14 '17
Thanks guys. Just curious anybody know why the original has 21 files, while the new one has only 14?