We build. You grow.

Get best community software here

Start a social network, a fan-site, an education project with oxwall - free opensource community software

Built in WYSIWYG Not Showing | Forum

The Great Kali
The Great Kali Jul 31 '17
On my Oxwall site, the WYSIWYG editor works just fine on any desktop computer. However, when you go to the website from a mobile device and try to post a blog, there is no WYSIWYG editor.

Why is that? How do I fix that? I have the latest version of Oxwall (1.8.4).  My users are complaining and I agree that it's silly that the WYSIWYG editor disappears on mobile devices

I do NOT have HTML disabled, but I do have "Disable site mobile version" checked.

Darryl B Leader
Darryl B Jul 31 '17
Could be a theme issue. Have you tried switching to the default theme to see if you have the same issue? Disabling the default Oxwall mobile version should only cause the desktop version to be shown, or in the case of a responsive theme, it should allow the theme's responsive view to take over.
The Great Kali
I'm using the Darklets theme, which is one of the four default themes.
Darryl B Leader
Darryl B Jul 31 '17
The default theme is the Simplicity theme. The others are just free core themes. I just switched to the Darklets theme, and the editor does show on mobile for me. You do have to scroll across the screen to get the "write new post" button to appear since this is not a responsive theme.
The Great Kali

I'm not having issues finding the Write New Post button. I've attached a screenshot to show you what I'm getting. This version of Darklets came with my install, which was done using Softaculous.

Darryl B Leader
Darryl B Jul 31 '17
Okay. I do have the editor option buttons on my mobile phone. You may try downloading the theme from the store / uninstalling the theme through the admin panel, and reinstalling the theme again. Softaculous has presented some issues with some installations. There could have been some corrupted files. This is why switching themes to see if it does the same thing may tell you if it is something with the theme.
The Great Kali
I went ahead and downloaded the theme files and uploaded them to the server. I'm assuming that at this point I just need to uninstall/reinstall to see the changes.
Darryl B Leader
Darryl B Jul 31 '17
What I would do is switch to another theme. You will notice that when you click on an inactive theme that it gives you the option to delete it, or activate it. With another theme activated; click on the darkletes theme in the admin panel, and delete it; Then go down to the add new theme, and upload the darkletes theme that you downloaded.
The Great Kali
That did not do the trick, unfortunately. I don't know what other recourse I have. 

Also, I've tested the other themes, including the default (Simplicity), but that doesn't alleviate the issue.

Darryl B Leader
Darryl B Jul 31 '17
Sounds like something went wrong with the install if it's happening on all of the themes.
The Great Kali
The Great Kali Aug 1 '17
Can you think of anything that would help? I'm not 100% familiar with the Oxwall file system, so I am unsure where I would start digging to find all the references in the code to the WYSIWYG stuff, or even which files to overwrite with the stock 1.8.4 files.
The Great Kali
The Great Kali Aug 1 '17
As an aside, I am thinking of just buying a plugin for this, although it might not work if all of the plugins simply replace what's there considering what's there is actually missing.
Senior Developer Leader
Senior Developer Aug 1 '17

Hi Lehi!

If you know how to edit php files, this "fixes" your issue:

In the file "ow_core/form_element.php" look for this line:

$this->textarea = new Textarea($name);

And add two slashes so it looks like this

//$this->textarea = new Textarea($name);

The WYSIWYG editor is now displayed sitewide for mobile devices.

If you prefer, you can buy a third party editor from the oxwall store, it works better than the default one and it fixes the problem too.

Senior Developer.

The Great Kali
The Great Kali Aug 1 '17
Thank you for showing me what to edit in the PHP. That definitely solved the issue. 

That should be good enough for now, but are there any editors in the store you would suggest I buy?