We build. You grow.

Get best community software here

Start a social network, a fan-site, an education project with oxwall - free opensource community software

Closed Website: Everybody should be friends | Forum

Morten
Morten Sep 23 '12
Hi,

Let me start of by saying that this platform is impressive :-)

I have a request : Im creating a closed website - where everybody should be 'friends' - is that possible by configuration ?

As an alternative - I would be looking into a cronjob that on a regular basis created a friendship between all members. Which tables should I look into ?

Kind regards

Morten

The Forum post is edited by Morten Sep 23 '12
Alia Team
Alia Sep 23 '12
Morten, thank you for your high evaluation of Oxwall software. Should all members be friends when they join your website or something else should happen? Like friends requests should be accepted automatically?
Morten
Morten Sep 24 '12
Hi,

My suggestion is that all members should be friends (controlled by admin-configuration). 

If we have a 'closed' website - for instance a group of scouts - it would be annoying that you cant invite a person to a group or an event unless they are friends. And I guess that it would be easier to make all friends by default than re-coding all the plugins.

Of course - if this is impossible - your suggestion could also do the trick. Is that doable ?

/Morten

Purusothaman Ramanujam
friends_friendship is table that you should be looking out for and also follower table too.
Morten
Morten Sep 24 '12
thnx :-) 

I guess that the easy way would be creating a job to be called every hour - inserting all the missing combinations in friends_friendship.

I haven't developed for oxwall before but I guess the right approach would be be creating a plugin - activate it on a hidden page - and call this every hour.

suggestions/comments are welcome :-) 

I promise to add this to the shop as a free plugin :-)

/Morten

Alia Team
Alia Sep 24 '12
Morten,  we have a plugin called "Friends" ( http://www.oxwall.org/store/item/14) . When this plugin is activated, users can invite ONLY friends to groups. When this plugin is deactivated, users get a list of 100 site users ( selected based on their activity on the site). So if your only concern is that it would be annoying that users cant invite a person to a group or an event unless they are friends, then just dont install "Friends" plugin.

But if this is not your only concern, you will need to modify the code to either make everybody friends by default or make friends requests to be accepted automatically.

Alia Team
Alia Sep 24 '12
Topic was moved from General Questions.
H. H. Nguyen
H. H. Nguyen Apr 12 '14
Are there some solution or new plugin for that problem?

Thx.

Alia Team
Alia Apr 15 '14
Ngyen, Purusothaman Ramanujam has created a plugin that allows admin or another user to become friends with everybody by default. You might want to check with him whether his plugin will work for ALL users.