We build. You grow.

Get best community software here

Start a social network, a fan-site, an education project with oxwall - free opensource community software

How to set role based on account type? | Forum

Mike
Mike Sep 28 '12
Hi,  

I want to create a website where there are multiple types of members:

1.  Punters (Fans, Individuals)

2.  Venues (Physical Establishments)

3.  Bands (Collective of artists/or solo artist)

4.  Providers (Music Shops/Radio Stations/Sound Guys offering services to the musicians)  

Each member would have different permissions, for example, Punters and Providers can't post an event but Venues and Bands can.

From my night of playing with the script, I assume the best way to do this would be to pair an account type with a role.  I'm just wondering if it's possible for this to be done on sign up?  

Thanks

Pete
Pete Sep 28 '12
Go to admin ,user,user roles ,and just edit the cats ,or just add new ones ,then set User role permissions for each cat,User role permissions you can find if you look on the page were you add the cats
The Forum post is edited by Pete Sep 28 '12
Mike
Mike Sep 28 '12
I've done all that, but I can't find a way to assign a role based on the account type.  
Pete
Pete Sep 28 '12
you should beable to edit the roles in role permissions ,if you look at bottom of page were you edit the cats
Mike
Mike Sep 28 '12
I can edit the roles, yes.

When a user signs up, I have to select their 'role' manually.  I want them to already have their roll defined based on which type of account they select.  

Pete
Pete Sep 28 '12
You will need to ask somebody that codes in php to make you a mod,that is the only way you can do this
The Forum post is edited by Pete Sep 28 '12
Edy
Edy Sep 28 '12
yeah i want that  as well lol
Joseph
Joseph Sep 28 '12
this would be very convenient I myself even thought about this a few times
Edy
Edy Sep 29 '12
Maybe @paul can help here
Crystal
Crystal Sep 30 '12
plugin would be good so only those that want it will use plug in
Edy
Edy Sep 30 '12
@paul   yeah  that would be helpful  ..  allow  users to choose different type of account and fill it out..  e.g  model can only display model  questionaire,musician can only display musician  questionaire  so on and on
benko Zoltan
benko Zoltan Feb 4 '13
I need a plugin or a method like this.. Can someone tell me how? I'm new to PHP...
Jacq
Jacq Feb 5 '13
Yes Paul that would be really good!
benko Zoltan
benko Zoltan Feb 6 '13
Awesome! Thank you cant wait to try it out!
David A
David A Feb 9 '13
@paul.. I am also interested in this plugin.  Will keep an eye out for when it is approved!

Oxwall Accessories
Oxwall Accessories Feb 9 '13
Just a question  what about members who have already joined.  would it go back and set the roles for them as well?  another genius plugin  Ive wanted this for a longgggg time! :)
Brien
Brien Feb 10 '13
Paul that would be awesome - currently I am running my site with 3 roles - Free accounts Subscribers - and Business accounts - subscribers and business are paid accounts so this would be an awesome help !!!!!!

I know Im probably pushing the issue but how hard would it be to have it when they join as a subcriber or a business account to be taken to the subscription page directly and checking out when updated - I guess another issue would be if they  didn't pay their account would have to switch back to free

Brien
Brien Feb 10 '13
subscribing
Jose
Jose Jan 2 '14
Hi
I´ve been looking for this new plugin in the store but didn´t find it could someone send me the URL? It will be really helpfull for my site. thanks
Jose
Jose Jan 2 '14
Oh that was really fast!!
thanks Paul ;)
Pages: 1 2 »