We build. You grow.

Get best community software here

Start a social network, a fan-site, an education project with oxwall - free opensource community software

Plugins for Sending SMS [Open Discussion] | Forum

David A
David A Mar 1 '13
I would look into a service that also offer's the administrator the ability to bulk by text messages.... like http://www.clickatell.com/

Having the ability of creating text distribution lists with notifications..

It would be nice it you could text your oxwall installation and have it post for you, or text a photo in and have it post for you.   This would be really difficult.

I seem to remember there being a way of doing some of this with skype

Great project
james letts
james letts Mar 19 '13
Any news on this SMS plugin ?
Very interested .......
Purusothaman Ramanujam
The plugin is 75% completed. I am looking forward to complete once my personal life priorities are done.
adminnoah
adminnoah Aug 29 '13
SMS plugin is finish? please inform me..,
Ahmad
Ahmad Aug 29 '13
Members should spend user credit to send sms like , 4 user credits for 1 sms 
dave Leader
dave Aug 30 '13

i dont see why people should have to pay anything for sms or why you decided to use a third party service, maybe i dont understand.

But evey carrier has a free api for sending sms messages so why not just use their api which are all pretty basic. You can even have an admin page so that admins can type in the code for the api sms message which are all pretty standard.  That way you as a dev dont have to worry about incuding all the carriers, have the admins add the carriers they want.

This is a list from some old software i had and the address's are still valid. Here is a list of carriers sms addresses in that table.

INSERT INTO `sms` (`sms_id`, `title`, `address`) VALUES (16,'Sprint','@messaging.sprintpcs.com'),(13,'Boost Mobile','@myboostmobile.com'),(18,'Verizon','@vtext.com'),(15,'Nextel','@messaging.nextel.com'),(17,'Tmobile','@tmomail.net'),(14,'AT&T','@txt.att.net'),(19,'Virgin Mobile','@vmobl.com'),(20,'AllTel','@message.alltel.com');

so all you need is an admin input to input the @whatever and have the plugin execute that if the user chooses that carrier from their profile. 

I dont see any reason we need to make a third party client rich just to send a simple sms.  Let the fee be whatever the end users plan is on their phone, not some third party company that we dont need to even involve IMO.

The Forum post is edited by dave Aug 30 '13
Purusothaman Ramanujam

Quote from dave I dont see any reason we need to make a third party client rich just to send a simple sms.

I don't agree with you on this Dave. API gives complete control rather than just sending sending a SMS. The method that you said is very olddd and it does not support all required options.
dave Leader
dave Aug 30 '13

Well that makes perfect since Puru, i was a very old script written back in php4, but the address are still good, at least they were as of jan 2013..  

Obviously Puru i am behind in current info or process on this, but i still think there has to be a way to do this without involving a third party widget or company and have the only fee be between the carrier and the end users.

Maybe there can even be two plugins, one normal with no options and free sms, and a pro version with all the features you speak of.

dave Leader
dave Aug 30 '13

Puru i love the idea, i am just trying to get you more sales.. more people will buy the plugin if they dont have to signup for a third party client in order to use the plugin.  And what happens if that client changes or worse deprecates their API.  All of a sudden you have a zillion customers of yours that want it fixed now which creates work for you. 

I personally (and this is just me everyone dont go getting all crazy ok) dont ever buy a plugin that i have sign up for another service to use. 

Puru does fantastic work, i assure you.  If he writes the plugin it is quality an so is the support. 

However as far as process for this plugin i am saying maybe there in another way which will not involve a third party which means Puru that you get more sales and less customer support issues in the long term..

I hope that makes sense Puru :)

adminnoah
adminnoah Aug 30 '13
i agree with Purusothaman Ramanujam and dave , 
adminnoah
adminnoah Aug 30 '13
i remove the link..., Mr dave i'm just trying to help oxwall developer, sorry if i post it here...,
adminnoah
adminnoah Aug 30 '13
you have username: Swaroop Pandey   he send me that and i want to inform you about this, i like to buy plugin legally and support plugin developer...,

The Forum post is edited by adminnoah Aug 30 '13
dave Leader
dave Aug 30 '13

ty noah

Fcall
Fcall Mar 20 '14
try fcall.in website it will provide you sms as well as voice.

Konstantin
Konstantin Dec 31 '14
Hi there! Is any news on this plugin? When it will be ready?
ross Team
ross Jan 2 '15
Topic was moved from General Questions.
Shaik
Shaik Jan 11 '15
hai i have problem 

Fatal error: Class 'PDO' not found in /home/zingrtfb/public_html/oxwall/ow_core/database.php on line 195

dave Leader
dave Jan 11 '15

Quote from Shaik hai i have problem 

Fatal error: Class 'PDO' not found in 

/home/zingrtfb/public_html/oxwall/ow_core/database.php on line 195

is this a new oxwall install?   if so do you have pdo installed on your server?
Braden
Braden Aug 17 '15
I think Purusothaman Ramanujam is now on the right track. This Plugin can be activated or deactivated, from the Admin panel, effects to all users. When your money is running low from the sms plan site, you deactivate it in your site then when you have money and reloaded it in the sms plan site, you can activate it back in your site.

Sms plan will keep a chance of your site atleast 75% with active users as it will remind them they have a "notification" from your site.

Comments, notifications, direct to their phones http://www.oxwall.org/forum/topic/37889
Pages: « 1 2