We build. You grow.

Get best community software here

Start a social network, a fan-site, an education project with oxwall - free opensource community software

.htaccess issue | Forum

Israel
Israel Jan 26 '11
Hello Oxwallers, I'm in dire need of immediate help here. I am running my host with hostmonster and I have about 3domains hosted with them (1primary domain and add-on domains).

On my primary domain, I created a sub-directory and installed the Oxwall software to test run it there. I have finished editing and arranging the modules to my satisfaction and now, I want to move the whole installation to the primary domain so it becomes my main site.

I tried doing that but was faced with some issues;
1. If I just copy the edited installation files on the sub-directory to the main site, it doesn't work as the files were not installed there.

2. When I try to install the software directly on my primary domain, my other add-on domains go offline because I over-write the default .htaccess file with the one that comes with the Oxwall software which enables it to initiate the installation.

This is the challenge I'm faced with and I need to install the software on my primary domain while my other add-on domains still remain unaffected. Please what do I do?
Unfortunately, my host support say they can't give me support with 3rd party applications but they said I'd need someone to re-write me a new .htaccess file that will allow me run the software and yet work fine with my other add-on domains.
Michael Leader
Michael Jan 27 '11
can you show us your main .htaccess config. Also, not really a "bug" with the software, just looking user help. (which isn't a problem really!)
Den Team
Den Jan 27 '11
Hello!

Quote from Israel

1. If I just copy the edited installation files on the sub-directory to the main site, it doesn't work as the files were not installed there.

After you move oxwall's files to the main root directory, you need to change in ow_include/config.php file this consts:

DIR_PATH

SITE_URL

Quote from Israel

2. When I try to install the software directly on my primary domain, my other add-on domains go offline because I over-write the default .htaccess file with the one that comes with the Oxwall software which enables it to initiate the installation.

This happen cos oxwall's .htaccess catches all queries (subfolders too) and redirect it to index.php. To allow queries to your addons sites, just added this rule:

RewriteCond %{REQUEST_URI} !/your_addon_site/

before:

RewriteRule (.*) index.php

in your oxwall's .htaccess file.
The Forum post is edited by Den Jan 27 '11
Israel
Israel Jan 27 '11
Thanks Addenster. Let me check it out and I'd let you know how it goes.
Israel
Israel Jan 27 '11
Please I'd like to know, should I just copy the code and insert it the way it is or should I edit the /your_addon_site/ and insert all my addon domains there?

I have about 2 addon domains and I know I'd soon be adding some more. Please I'd like to know if there's a code that will query subsequent addon domains I'll add in the future automatically without my having to manually insert it in the .htaccess?
Israel
Israel Jan 28 '11
Hello Addenster, I tried out what you suggested but I keep getting a 500 Internal Server Error on my add-on domains. Please what do I do to correct this issue.

I have not been able to install Oxwall on my primary domain just because of this .htaccess issue and it's really spoiling things for me.

Please I need help from anywhere
Den Team
Den Jan 31 '11
Hi Israel!
Sorry for delay. Would you list your .htaccess with applied changes which I posted before?
Crystal
Crystal Mar 1 '12
I have tried this solution and can only get the front page of the oxwall site. \\the plugins return 404 error. \the addon domain works fine.
20 Hours a Day
20 Hours a Day Apr 24 '14
There are two ways I approached this issue:

1) I made a backup of the .htaccess file, then erased all content within the active .htaccess file -- this brought back access to all of my external domains, however I can only interact with the front-end of my Oxwall site (no access to admin panel, mobile gets buggy and no new visitors can sign up!).  Changing the .htaccess file back to oxwall's configuration fixes everything with oxwall, but I get 404 errors on my external sites again**.

2) Modifing the.htaccess file with the code above as @Den posted also allows you to view your external domains, but continues to break the admin access and user sign up of my Oxwall site as well.

**Something particular to note; I have another oxwall site that is setup as an external much like my other domains.  That oxwall site is unaffected by the root .htaccess file.  Only the external sites that do not have oxwall installed or do not have a .htaccess file are affected.  Somehow the root .htaccess breaks access to index.htm, index.html on my other external sites -- resulting in 404 errors.

Typing www.mysite.com in the browser address bar, you get 404 error.
Typing www.mysite.com/index.htm everything is visible.

@Den.....Any new rules to try?
Rahul verma
Rahul verma Apr 25 '14

for your ad-on domains please try this rule

RewriteCond %{HTTP_HOST} ^(www\.)?addon_domain\.com 
RewriteRule .* - [L]

by this rules your ad-on domain will not be affected  (hopefully :D ) 

now here is 2 option for your existing oxwall 

umm what about if you do a new install on your primary domain with same mods , plugin and themes .. and then import everything from old database to new database ?

and copy all user and static files from old to new ?

another way .. which i have tried earlier is change every thing in your config.php file .. as Den mentioned ... like path etc 

copy everything in your main dir of domain 

change fallowing things in ow_include / config.php only and see if it work 

define('OW_URL_HOME', 'http://yourdomain.com/oxwall/'); to 'http://yourdomain.com/');

define('OW_DB_HOST', 'localhost');

define('OW_DB_PORT', ****);

define('OW_DB_USER', '******');

define('OW_DB_PASSWORD', '*********');

define('OW_DB_NAME', '*********');

define('OW_DB_PREFIX', 'ow_');

define('OW_DIR_USERFILES', OW_DIR_ROOT.'ow_userfiles'.DS);

define('OW_DIR_STATIC', OW_DIR_ROOT.'ow_static'.DS);

define('OW_URL_STATIC', OW_URL_HOME.'ow_static/');

define('OW_URL_USERFILES', OW_URL_HOME.'ow_userfiles/');

define('OW_DIR_PLUGINFILES', OW_DIR_ROOT.'ow_pluginfiles/');

please make a back-up of files before preforming any action and let me know if it worked 

20 Hours a Day
20 Hours a Day Apr 25 '14

@Rahul,  my oxwall site is the main hosted site.  Here is the hierarchy.

My Oxwall site 1 (/public_html/) - <primary domain> works great!

|

|_oxwall site 1 root files

|

|_external site 1 (/public_html/site1.com) - <addon domain> 400 error

|_external site 2 (/public_html/site2.com) - <addon domain> 400 error

|_external Oxwall site 2 (/public_html/oxwallsite2.com) - <addon domain> works great!

|_external site 3 (/public_html/site3.com) - <addon domain> 400 error

Modifying my .htaccess as you suggested here:

Now gives me a 500 internal server error.  Do you still suggest changing the ow_include/config.php if my oxwall site is already root? 

The Forum post is edited by 20 Hours a Day Apr 25 '14
Rahul verma
Rahul verma Apr 27 '14
sry for replying late 

when i installed oxwall on my primary domain in past time.. my rest of domains stopped working . i used that mod in .htaccess n rest domain started working fine.. 

i am hosted on justhost

error 400 means = bad request or wrong address 

about changing in config.php  ... you have to do this  if you are relocating your oxwall DIR

as you showing hierarchy it seems you using 3 oxwall install ? 

20 Hours a Day
20 Hours a Day Apr 27 '14

Left Oxwall .htaccess files as original (no change)

Created new .htaccess files in each of my Addon Domains.

Each of those .htaccess files only contain 1 rule:

RewriteCond %{REQUEST_URI} !^/index\.htm

Now all my sites are visible and no more errors.

Please let me know if there are unforeseen issues with that rule.

Attachments:
  Shared-Domain.png (64.94Kb)
Rahul verma
Rahul verma Apr 27 '14
Quote from Robert Each of those .htaccess files only contain 1 rule: RewriteCond %{REQUEST_URI} !^/index\.htm
for your ad-on websites:
for better SEO please log in your google webmaster account and check  if robot.txt is assessable. also check if sitemap as well

add gzip mod  to load your website faster  

jhon austin
jhon austin Jun 19 '23

I understand your urgent need for help. It seems like you're facing challenges moving your Oxwall installation from a sub-directory to your primary domain without affecting your add-on domains. Since your hosting provider is unable to assist with third-party applications, one solution could be to reach out to a web developer or an Oxwall community forum for assistance. They can help you create a customized Robotic .htaccess file that allows the software to run on your primary domain while keeping your add-on domains unaffected.

carson
carson Jul 15 '23
Are you still facing issue you can use chatGTPT, its lots of hlep me in project garage door malfunctioning . you can also use , Thank  you
carson
carson Jul 18 '23
we ware also working on garage door replacement you can contact us.
Myzik
Myzik Sep 30 '23

Try adding this

RewriteEngine On RewriteBase / # Exclude specific directories from rewriting RewriteCond %{REQUEST_URI} !^/excluded_directory/ RewriteCond %{REQUEST_URI} !^/another_excluded_directory/ # Rewrite rule for Oxwall RewriteRule ^index\.php$ - [L] RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} !-f RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} !-d RewriteRule . /index.php [L] 

James Walter
James Walter Jan 2
We’ll get your engine growling like a cat again so you can get back to work. Mesquite On-Site Truck Repair