We build. You grow.

Get best community software here

Start a social network, a fan-site, an education project with oxwall - free opensource community software

how to make site load faster | Forum

Topic location: Forum home » Support » General Questions
Durlabh Ashok
Durlabh Ashok Oct 15 '12
Hi oxwall team,

As you know that speed of website matters a lot these days,i have analyzed my site using Google page speed and it has given files,images,JavaScript,css to be optimized,So i want to ask that how can i do them,detailed report is below:

here

I don't know how to do that,please assist me how to..Thanks

Google page speed has ranked my site at 55 position,that is not good,Really.please tell me how to optimize my site(i have tried many on line optimizers but it has failed)I also suggest that oxwall should have a plug-in to test and optimize the site and its images.

Pete
Pete Oct 15 '12

put this it google search.

how to speed up website adding some code to my htaccess file.

Or change the word from speed to optimize,

or whatever you want to do with your website ,secure it,etc

now you will get 1000s of ways to speed up your website .or optimize

The Forum post is edited by Pete Oct 15 '12
Durlabh Ashok
Durlabh Ashok Oct 15 '12
which htaccess files there are many files of this type
Pete
Pete Oct 15 '12

the main one were all your oxwall folders or

Pete
Pete Oct 15 '12

Before you add any code to your htaccess file make a copy and place in folder on your desktop

Purusothaman Ramanujam
Even I have thought of this in the past.

Oxwall sites does not come out well with the Y! Slow test by yahoo (using firefox plugin).

Some reasons are..

1) Avatars are resized using Hieght/width attributes
2) JS can be moved to the bottom of the site instead of being at <head> if posible.
3) minify css and JS
Austeyr
Austeyr Oct 22 '12
this topic really is interesting, i went a looking for the .httacess codes todo this as pete suggested and man did i get some cool answers im not all that confident in adding anything that i dont understand completely what it's doing. im not using a test site at all so it would be going right on a live site, 2 posts that stood out where:

forums.hostgator.com/speed-up-your-site-htaccess-t132870.html 

and 

seomoz.org/blog/15-tips-to-speed-up-your-website

the seomoz one look's more like what im after, would anyone be able to confirm this would work with oxwall 

this code below in particular, id test it but id have to set oxwall up on another domain and install all the plugins blah blah , and i know a bunch you guys got 3 demo sites already. many thanks in advance.

# compress text, html, javascript, css, xml:
AddOutputFilterByType DEFLATE text/plain
AddOutputFilterByType DEFLATE text/html
AddOutputFilterByType DEFLATE text/xml
AddOutputFilterByType DEFLATE text/css
AddOutputFilterByType DEFLATE application/xml
AddOutputFilterByType DEFLATE application/xhtml+xml
AddOutputFilterByType DEFLATE application/rss+xml
AddOutputFilterByType DEFLATE application/javascript
AddOutputFilterByType DEFLATE application/x-javascript
# Or, compress certain file types by extension:
<files *.html>
SetOutputFilter DEFLATE
</files>

The Forum post is edited by Austeyr Oct 22 '12
Austeyr
Austeyr Oct 22 '12
Thought Id Just Post here saying ive installed another site im my PR site so ill do some testing ill let you know my results guys. There where more codes id like to try so ill just shre my findings on this thread when i find the best one. im running on shared hosting though im on one of the best servers the hosting provider im with offers, be honest not even sure they have a website i meet a guy that new a guy sorta thing lol so yeah kinda been hosting all my 30+ websites with him as ive been flippen em he's a good host. I digress, To clear it up thou there was another post about speed in this forum for the life of me as ive not slept in 24 hours, i cant remember who posted it but they said that the spam plugin option search online users lags ya site and OMG does it ever, turned that off and im already flying through digital wonderland. While im flying on coffee and sleep depravation too so maybe it's just my brain going slower than the lagg is right now ill do some testing after sleeping, Ive just installed this on another domain though so should be good to go after a sleep.
The Forum post is edited by Austeyr Oct 22 '12
Pete
Pete Oct 22 '12

Quote from Randell this topic really is interesting, i went a looking for the .httacess codes todo this as pete suggested and man did i get some cool answers im not all that confident in adding anything that i dont understand completely what it's doing. im not using a test site at all so it would be going right on a live site, 2 posts that stood out where:

forums.hostgator.com/speed-up-your-site-htaccess-t132870.html 

and 

seomoz.org/blog/15-tips-to-speed-up-your-website

the seomoz one look's more like what im after, would anyone be able to confirm this would work with oxwall 

this code below in particular, id test it but id have to set oxwall up on another domain and install all the plugins blah blah , and i know a bunch you guys got 3 demo sites already. many thanks in advance.

# compress text, html, javascript, css, xml:
AddOutputFilterByType DEFLATE text/plain
AddOutputFilterByType DEFLATE text/html
AddOutputFilterByType DEFLATE text/xml
AddOutputFilterByType DEFLATE text/css
AddOutputFilterByType DEFLATE application/xml
AddOutputFilterByType DEFLATE application/xhtml+xml
AddOutputFilterByType DEFLATE application/rss+xml
AddOutputFilterByType DEFLATE application/javascript
AddOutputFilterByType DEFLATE application/x-javascript
# Or, compress certain file types by extension:
<files *.html>
SetOutputFilter DEFLATE
</files>

As long as you make a copy of your htaccess file,you can try all dif codes .If things mess up just replace your backup htacess copy.
Austeyr
Austeyr Oct 25 '12
your right, cheers for info. found some awesome stuff lots didn't do much at all, But lots helped quite a bit.

i really think what was killing my site was the spam blocker. sad to say cause it's awesome. but still needs some work. 

not only has it been making my site like a snail, it's also been blocking people going to old pages of my site. i was using a forum and Clipbucket before hand so google has indexed 100's of video pages that are no loger there and when people come and visit my site on them pages it's not giving them a 404 page it's telling them there a spammer not to approchable or social.. 

meh not a big deal deactivated it now my sites going super fast, i just have to keep on top of spammers but better than no members lol 

The Forum post is edited by Austeyr Oct 25 '12
Purusothaman Ramanujam

Quote from Randell i really think what was killing my site was the spam blocker.

The plugin is good. But one of the option (Track logged-in users) makes the site slow. You can disable this option and leave the plugin active.