We build. You grow.

Get best community software here

Start a social network, a fan-site, an education project with oxwall - free opensource community software

The forum is full of spam ,,,, again. | Forum

Ketil Ervik
Ketil Ervik Oct 11 '18
Time to block all these IPs It can be easily done from the server the forum is located on. Why do not you do this? I'm doing it all the time on my server and have significantly reduced spam.

You can use User IP Tracker Then go to server to block IP as these spam idiots appear

The Forum post is edited by Ketil Ervik Oct 11 '18
Oxwall Germany Club
Oxwall Germany Oct 11 '18
Thank you, Ketil, we have removed all the spam posts and topics again. Unfortunately, we don't have the possibility to activate such measures as we have forum moderation rights only at the moment. You need to convince Oxwall Foundation of this ;)
Oxwall Germany Club
Oxwall Germany Oct 11 '18
Topic was moved from General Questions.
Ketil Ervik
Ketil Ervik Oct 11 '18
 Hade never have a answear from this Oxwall Foundation
The Forum post is edited by Ketil Ervik Oct 11 '18
Patricia Zorrilla Leader
Patricia Zorrilla Oct 11 '18
I propose a software modification that only allows ONE MESSAGE in the forum in the first 24 hours of registration.
AppXprt
AppXprt Oct 11 '18
Quote from Ketil ErvikTime to block all these IPs It can be easily done from the server the forum is located on. Why do not you do this? I'm doing it all the time on my server and have significantly reduced spam.

You can use User IP Tracker Then go to server to block IP as these spam idiots appear

Blocking IP's isn't really effective in terms of active spam protection and I don't think pointing out the forum is full of spam is necessary every time it happens, Ketil, as I'm sure Oxwall Germany has eyes just like you. Perhaps we could curtail the annoying posts just a bit?

With all that being said, I think this might work well:

Newly registered users that create a new message immediately are most likely spam so drop these posts in a "potential spam queue" and give trusted / most active users access to delete new posts in this potential spam queue.

Another way would be to check new posts for excessive links and drop these in that same moderation queue.

Users with over a certain amount of posts on the forum, say 100, would be able to remove from this spam queue.

The Forum post is edited by AppXprt Oct 12 '18
Vitaliy
Vitaliy Feb 6 '21
yep friken bots everywere )
Patricia Zorrilla Leader
Patricia Zorrilla Feb 6 '21

It's not that difficult to fix this, just set up manual member approval.

In the image, a member that I have not accepted in https://owspain.com

dave Leader
dave Feb 6 '21
I was told not to touch any of the settings, i have already considered it for the forum here but i was told hands off..
Patricia Zorrilla Leader
Patricia Zorrilla Feb 6 '21
Disobey a little, do it for the community.
dave Leader
dave Feb 6 '21

Quote from Patricia Zorrilla Disobey a little, do it for the community.

If the situation was different maybe that might be an option.  But at least the way it is now we can remove the spam.  If i dont respect their wishes and they shut down moderation then what happens, we have no control, and that would be very bad.