We build. You grow.

Get best community software here

Start a social network, a fan-site, an education project with oxwall - free opensource community software

How to add emoticons | Forum

Topic location: Forum home » Support » General Questions
Michael
Michael Oct 23 '12
My members are saying that when they type :) they would like an emoticon to appear, how would one go about doing that?
Abbey
Abbey Oct 23 '12
where do you want to add them?
currently there are no emoticons on oxwall software
Alia Team
Alia Oct 23 '12
Michael, check this plug in http://www.oxwall.org/store/item/80 ; .
Blukkie
Blukkie Mar 5 '13
since that plugin has a strainge bug. Is there any easy alternative for emoticons on site and forum? Or are there any plans for them? We just miss them! :D (<-- imagine a smile)
Alia Team
Alia Mar 5 '13
Blukkie, I am not aware of any other easy alternative.

You can vote for this idea here: http://oxwall.uservoice.com/...545-custom-emoticons

Blukkie
Blukkie Mar 6 '13
Thank you! Will vote
Michael
Michael Mar 6 '13
Hi Alia I installed the plugin as recommended but it isnt what we are after.

I cant uninstall TinyMC as when I click the uninstall but it says "plugin uninstall error", any ideas?
Pete
Pete Mar 6 '13
Just deactivate TinyMC.Oxwall should remove the TinyMC plugin from the store as it does not work proper
The Forum post is edited by Pete Mar 6 '13
DeFender
DeFender Mar 6 '13

t6ry using

http:///...s-jquery-plugin.html

Alia Team
Alia Mar 6 '13
Michael, regarding TinyMC, you will need to try to contact plugin developer.
If you don't receive a reply,  contact moderation_team@oxwall.org .
James Geddes
James Geddes Jun 26 '15
Has anything been done on this issue yet? It is fairly standard to transform :) in to a smiley face picture these days, regardless of where on a site one puts it
James Geddes
James Geddes Jun 26 '15
...and yes I know that one can pay $30 for the 3rd party plugin but it should be part of the core, not an add-on
Taissa Team
Taissa Jun 29 '15
James,your feedback and suggestions are very important to our team, but understandably it's quite difficult to process every single individual suggestion. This means that an answer should not be expected for every idea posted.

Let me clarify our stance on the matter. 

First things first:

- the Oxwall Foundation is a non-profit unincorporated organization with limited human resources
- Oxwall software still lacks some fundamental features that are currently in development
- Our community and demand of various individual features are rapidly growing

Yet, even in the face of all this, we do our best to timely release major essential features.

We developed a flexible and easy to use PHP/MySQL software platform for everyone to extend its functionality by developing new plugins.

Our suggest board is one of the ways for us to learn what essential features the community needs. I want to stress that this board is designed specifically to give ideas and inspiration not only to our team at Oxwall Foundation, but the entire Oxwall Community, with its army of third-party developers.

The better part of the major updates come with the most important and essential features. However, to identify ideas of primary relevance we need to hear the voices of our webmasters. This is why we use the uservoice platform with its voting system for proposed features, which lets us set priorities in the dev plan if the demand really exists - the bigger the score, the higher the priority.

The eventual decision will be made based on the number of votes a suggestion received, while other ideas are skipped for the time being, generating more traction with the community.

So, please, add your suggestions on uservoice here: http://oxwall.uservoice.com/forums/13756-ideas-for-oxwall

James Geddes
James Geddes Jun 29 '15
This was suggested on uservoice but the team declined it because there was a $30 plugin available. Like I said, this should be part of the core.

I realise that oxwall is a small, non-profit, however one cannot use that as an excuse for why basic stuff isn't available, particularly when you have a community of thousands. Wall.fm seems to be doing ok - just saying...

As I have said before, I only give negative feedback to organisations I want to succeed. I hope that the oxwall team does not take offence and takes all my feedback constructively.

Taissa Team
Taissa Jun 29 '15
James, we appreciate your activity and suggestions and as you know to implement new essential features you always may use our public repository: https://bitbucket.org/oxwall/public
James Geddes
James Geddes Jun 29 '15
I'm afraid I'm personally not an amazing programmer, however its good that you are promoting community involvement as many others are. It would be great if you could encourage the plugin developers to help with the core and offer more free plugins
Sypa CC (Creative Fertile)
Oxwall is doing a good job so it is more disappointing if essentially elements are missing. I agree with James. Emoticons/smileys should be a part of the core. We speak about social network community software. Do you know any social platform without emoticons? It is a shame that we have to pay 30 USD for something which should go without saying.
Taissa Team
Taissa Jul 1 '15
Creative Fertile, we are thinking about improving our software constantly and of course you are always welcome to implement new features and commit changes with working solution to our public repository. With the Oxwall users help this will be easier to make Oxwall even more popular fast-paced and modern software.