We build. You grow.

Get best community software here

Start a social network, a fan-site, an education project with oxwall - free opensource community software

Delete Mailbox Message from Mailbox ... not really deleting from database? | Forum

Blaire
Blaire May 9 '19
So, I suspect that when a user on my site goes to a message in their Mailbox and deletes it that the message is not actually removed from the database.

Why would this possibly be happening?
What can I check that could be causing a problem?
Senior Developer Leader
Senior Developer May 9 '19

If 1 of the 2 users deletes the message, the message should still be there so the other user can still read it, the user is only "deleting it" from his end, that's how every chat in the world works, however when both delete the message, it should be removed from the server too (this is what you are asking I think).

Some apps and services do not delete it right away (when both users delete them), those apps add you a button to "UNDO" the deletion or send the messages to the archive so they can recover it or read it days/months/years later.

In this case, Oxwall's Mailbox (Chat) plugin doesn't has this feature, once it is "deleted", it is not removed from the database, it is just marked as "deleted" and removed from cache, you need another plugin who does that last step and remove them from the database. I think that there is no plugin for that  in the store yet.

Senior Developer.

The Forum post is edited by Senior Developer May 9 '19
Blaire
Blaire May 9 '19
Thank you so much! This makes a lot of sense to me and why users were telling me they deleted messages but I did not see them deleted in the database. I have been encouraging users to delete old messages in effort to free up some space on the server.

Quote from Senior Developer

In this case, Oxwall's Mailbox (Chat) plugin doesn't has this feature, once it is "deleted", it is not removed from the database, it is just marked as "deleted" and removed from cache, you need another plugin who does that last step and remove them from the database. I think that there is no plugin for that  in the store yet.

I will hope someone makes one!
Patricia Zorrilla Leader
Patricia Zorrilla May 10 '19

I am doing it, for Messages and more plugins, a tab for each plugin because there are many that leave garbage of members that no longer exist.

The MailBox tab is already done because it is really an absurd collection of old messages that are in the database and is the most urgent.

With the version of Messages used in OxWall (10800), to be physically deleted it is necessary that both interlocutors delete the conversation.

Many of the attached files are orphans (?), No entry in the database points to them and they stay there forever.

The version used by Skadate (10850) limits the number of messages per member and eliminates the oldest messages if that number is reached.

It's better but it's not good either.

My plugin is not compatible with 10850 yet, but it will be.

My plugin, this section in particular, works but I'm testing it very carefully because although it makes a backup if something was wrong it could make a real mess on a website with many conversations.

In doing so, I found the databases filled with messages that did not belong to any conversation so simply deleting the conversations was not completely clean, so what I do is create other tables, pass the conversations that pass the filter of the I attached image. The same with the attachments, a temporary directory.

If the administrator accepts the changes, it makes a "rename" of the tables and directories.

If someone wants to do a beta-tester ... I would have the plugin for free and it would help me a lot.

ArtMedia
ArtMedia May 10 '19

Quote from Blaire Thank you so much! This makes a lot of sense to me and why users were telling me they deleted messages but I did not see them deleted in the database. I have been encouraging users to delete old messages in effort to free up some space on the server.

Quote from Senior Developer

I will hope someone makes one!

i add option to delete entires from database if both users marked messages as delete to my next version Mailbox Quota Plugin
Oxwall Türkiye
Oxwall Türkiye May 10 '19

Mail global management.

1-Oriented to the user.

Delete me - Delete from everyone

2-Delete operation by two-sided server.

When both parties perform a delete operation, the deletion occurs.

3-Administrator - User delete defined

Oxwall message deletion can be manually used for a period (all message database and notification area erase after 1 year period)

Messages that are deleted and removed will be automatically deleted. However, if one of the parties is standing to prevent party fraud, the system stops the deletion.

The ideal way to perform a limitation and deletion with an additional plugin. Message box control plugin (Delete from me - Delete from everyone) But the missing method in this plug-in does not have a placeholder for the deleted message. If the developer corrects this error, he or she will have made a nice addition.