We build. You grow.

Get best community software here

Start a social network, a fan-site, an education project with oxwall - free opensource community software

template engine question | Forum

Topic location: Forum home » Support » General Questions
Marco
Marco May 16 '19

Hello All,

As we are almost done with the patches to bring oxwall 1.8.4 to all latest version (see: new release) what you can also use for your oxwall installation.

Next we will also work on core to make it better. Oxwall uses the smarty template. There are many template frameworks like: Twig, smarty, moustache, blade , django, etc.

I want to know if you all like smarty, or do you think that another template is better. If so please tell us which one and why its better please.

AppXprt
AppXprt May 16 '19
I love Smarty and you can actually update it through my OxUpdater, which I am using as a base for OxChamial.

I don't know much about the others, but I would be hesitant to switch to another since Smarty is so heavily relied on in Oxwall core, you don't want to drift too far from the base for compatibility.

Other than that, any template engine really just needs to be able to put vars and conditional statements in the templates and then be able to assign them via PHP, which I assume all of them would do.

Smarty is mature and has been around for a long time and remains under active development with the current version being 3.1.33.
The Forum post is edited by AppXprt May 16 '19
Catkin
Catkin May 17 '19
yeah, what AppXprt said!