We build. You grow.

Get best community software here

Start a social network, a fan-site, an education project with oxwall - free opensource community software

Titles General Widgets | Forum

Topic location: Forum home » Support » General Questions
Rob
Rob Aug 8 '19
Why can't the Titles of the General Widgets be displayed in multiple languages.?

Even though the language of choice is selected by the visitor / member, the titles unfortunately remain in the default language.Is there no solution for that.?

dave Leader
dave Aug 8 '19
Have you edited the specific lang key for that value in the new language.   I think the titles are in the lang keys (not tested) so just do a search in your new lang (admin settings language) and find the key and change it to what you want.  Just be sure you are changing the new lang and not eng version.
Rob
Rob Aug 8 '19

Yes Dave, the standard language at Oxwall is of course English (USA) and we have cloned this and translated it into Dutch.

However, if the website language is changed to your choice, the title does not change to this choice but remains in the default language.

OW-Ghost
OW-Ghost Aug 8 '19
how did you translate the cloned eng language pack? one by one language key or have any tricks to share :P
The Forum post is edited by OW-Ghost Aug 8 '19
Rob
Rob Aug 8 '19

First try to fill in all the missing text (with the standard installation there are always a few missing, is our experience), then install the plugins of your choice.

Then the situation is in English (USA) for all plugins and basic software.

Then clone the entire language (see attachment), where you can name the language and choose the flag for it.

Then you can easily translate all the text of the clone because you have already indicated the correct flag and name.

Attachments:
  Cloning.jpg (107Kb)
Marcus
Marcus Aug 8 '19
Are you talking about custom widget text? If so then nope it will show exactly what you put in there regardless of the language
The Forum post is edited by Marcus Aug 8 '19
OW-Ghost
OW-Ghost Aug 8 '19
Okey i think did miss understand me little. but no problem

I was ask if you did have any tricks for fast translate the entirely english cloned language pack rather then manually translate one and one language keys.(i know how to clone a language in oxwall)

i suggested someone create a translation plugin where you can translate the value boxes in admin language key panel

right now google translate page is ignore this boxes but i have read it is possible make google translate not ignore this boxes and then you will qucikly translate 20 keys in one click

and if you want advance you can try make the pages load more values then 20 keys :)

i was hope someone create such plugin but nobody have jump on the train yet :)

PS. i know google translate is not always translate correct but for me i not have the time or money to translate let says 10 languages 100% correct and hire someone on freelancer to do it. thats why i think google translate "plugin" is a option for they who have not the money hire people translate your oxwall page in many languages.

another option someone likes is use "live google translate" widget, but then you SEO will bee not good at all so that option i not want to go for

Anyways maybe little off topic now

Ow-ghost

The Forum post is edited by OW-Ghost Aug 8 '19
Rob
Rob Aug 8 '19

Take for example, the "Newsfeed" widget, which we call "The latest news" in Dutch.

In our case on the main page is it called "The latest news" because Dutch is set as the default language.

If a visitor / member wants the website in English, the Dutch text remains.

Mind you, we are talking about the title of the widget.

We hope that we explain it as clearly as possible.

Marcus
Marcus Aug 8 '19
Try to clear cache 
dave Leader
dave Aug 8 '19
Well i looked at the newsfeed   feed_widget.php file and it looks like on line 80 it gets the values (untested)

public static function getStandardSettingValueList()    

{        

return array( 

self::SETTING_SHOW_TITLE => true, 

self::SETTING_TITLE => OW::getLanguage()->text('newsfeed', 'widget_feed_title'),

self::SETTING_WRAP_IN_BOX => false, 

self::SETTING_ICON => self::ICON_CLOCK        

);

}

So it looks like widget_feed_title is the lang key you want to change, try that.. 

The Forum post is edited by dave Aug 8 '19
Rob
Rob Aug 9 '19

Unfortunately Dave, but language keys have been translated (see attach).

We have no idea what the cause should be.

There are only 2 languages available on this website so it can't be really confusing with the translation.

The "Detect Lang" plugin is installed, so for those English speakers who have set English as standard on their device, all texts should still be in English.

However, on a website where this plugin is not installed, the standard Dutch text remains.

We regularly empty the cache Marcus.

Attachments:
  Changed language key.JPG (120Kb)
Marcus
Marcus Aug 9 '19
Does it only affect one Lang key or its a general problem.
Marcus
Marcus Aug 9 '19
Looks like you've got a third party pluging. Disable it. 
Rob
Rob Aug 9 '19

As far as we can see, it is only on the Titles of the widget, even though they are translated.

The "Detect Lang" plugin has no influence on this because the problem also occurs on another website of ours where this plugin is not installed.

Platform version also has nothing to do with it, on 1.8.4 of Oxwall it occurs and also on the 1.9.10 version of Chamial.

dave Leader
dave Aug 9 '19
So to be sure i have this right...

I go to main page and click on customize this page

then click on the gear for newsfeed and change the title  

then click save and then click finished customizing

and the title changes but if you add a language it does not change for the new language.

is that correct?

The Forum post is edited by dave Aug 9 '19
Rob
Rob Aug 9 '19

Indeed Dave, whether we change the text on the main page in customizing mode or we translate it in the admin section, the text is then changed.

But, when we change the language selection at the top right from Dutch to English, the text of the title remains the same.

Rob
Rob Aug 9 '19
The strange thing is that we think it only happens on the main page.!
Norias
Norias Aug 9 '19
it's because if you change the name with "customise this page", it create a entry in the bastabase, in the table "ow_base_component_setting".

Juste delete the line with "index-NEWSFEED_CMP_SiteFeedWidget" and the widget will use the text key 'newsfeed+widget_feed_title' again.

Rob
Rob Aug 9 '19

As the attach indicates, we have 7.

Which one must then be removed Noris.?

Attachments:
  Table newsfeed.JPG (74Kb)
Norias
Norias Aug 9 '19
oups sorry, it's the one with name=title.

but it's not in your screenshot, so maybe this solution is not ok for you :/

Try putting a unique name like "abcde" with customise this page, and after that look for it in the database. Maybe it can help...

i am actually using chamial, maybe this is different ?

Pages: 1 2 »