We build. You grow.

Get best community software here

Start a social network, a fan-site, an education project with oxwall - free opensource community software

Exporting All Member data.! | Forum

Topic location: Forum home » Support » General Questions
Rob
Rob Aug 14 '19

Dear Developers,

Is there a plugin that offers the possibility to export ALL member data and then import it into another Oxwall website.?

With regards,

Admiraliteit Imedia

Catkin
Catkin Aug 14 '19
Just need to copy the database over, I've not completed this before but it is fairly straightforward if you have had experience before.

dave Leader
dave Aug 14 '19
phpMyAdmin (cpanel) - open up original DB, then click export select all and take defaults   then open up the receiving DB, then click import and file name.  DONE!!   That just covers the DB xfer not any other config changes you might need to do.

Now if you just want user data thats a bit trickier as its spread out in several places.

Also if you are creating a new website with users data be sure you have permission from the users to do so or it could get you in hot water.  People dont like their info used without their permission.   

Also see here:  https://developers.oxwall.com/forum/topic/50048

The Forum post is edited by dave Aug 14 '19
Rob
Rob Aug 14 '19

Dave, it is our intention to only export the data of the members per member, so that they can possibly be imported on the same website or imported into another Oxwall website.

Strange that this has never been considered.!

dave Leader
dave Aug 14 '19
That other link i added is old but accurate at the time...  However, i do remember at some point oxwall used lang keys to store some question or other data, not sure if that is still the case. 
The Forum post is edited by dave Aug 14 '19
Rob
Rob Aug 15 '19

Strange that there is no plugin or standard option for this within the standard Oxwall software.

We also find it strange that some profile questions cannot be deleted.

Oxwall is very good community software in itself, but unfortunately not yet perfect or user-friendly for the admin.

Marcus
Marcus Aug 15 '19
There is point for such plug-in case phpmyadmin offers that and much more. Sure you can't delete some questions like username or password cause why would you lol
Marcus
Marcus Aug 15 '19
This software is not for rookies for sure. If your intention is to only install stuff then your good to go other than that it requieres at least basic web development knowlage
The Forum post is edited by Marcus Aug 15 '19
Catkin
Catkin Aug 15 '19

Quote from Marcus This software is not for rookies for sure. If your intention is to only install stuff then your good to go other than that it requieres at least basic web development knowlage
That's kind of what I love about Oxwall
Marcus
Marcus Aug 15 '19
It offers so much you just gotta know how to utilize all that goodness. It sucks its not getting updated but I'm cool with what I've got. Plus just now I'm starting to figure out how it works. Im developening really mind blowing dinamic data swapping plugings. 
Rob
Rob Aug 16 '19

To return to deleting standard questions Marcus, here is an example why the standard questions should be deleted or be edited.

In our example (see attach) .:

Date of birth of profile holder - the question is date of birth but on the profile can show the age in years.

Create a similar kind of question for example the partner who is also connected to the profile.

Then the question is date of birth but is also shown on the profile and not the text age plus the indication years.

Rob
Rob Aug 16 '19

Another strange thing about the profile question "Date of birth" (see attach), for searching a member one gets the option "Date of birth" with behind it the range of years.

The text "Date of birth" should then be "Age" we think.?

Attachments:
  Member search.JPG (76Kb)
Marcus
Marcus Aug 16 '19
You can change it with a bit of custom code. 
Rob
Rob Aug 16 '19

That will undoubtedly be possible, not because of us unfortunately because we are not developers.

Sometimes we indeed try things out in collaboration with an experienced developer who develops themes or develops plugins.

But let's be honest, it's a small mistake in the basic software.!

The platform is really good, but we think this is a minus point.!