We build. You grow.

Get best community software here

Start a social network, a fan-site, an education project with oxwall - free opensource community software

Hosting | Forum

Topic location: Forum home » Support » General Questions
Marius
Marius Aug 18 '19

What hosting company do you recommend?

Catkin
Catkin Aug 18 '19
Fast comet, used them for ages. Buy the premium shared hosting and it works really fast. Free domain too...

After our site grew we used Digital Ocean

Marcus
Marcus Aug 18 '19
Oxwall won't run well on shared hosting so right if the bet you gotta consider using vps or dedicated one. I recommend godaddy
The Forum post is edited by Marcus Aug 18 '19
dave Leader
dave Aug 19 '19
Godaddy has issues read the hosting page for oxwall.  The panel at godaddy is horrible as well. 

Quote:  

GoDaddy shared hosting plan is quite limited in capabilities. Restricted SSH access and complicated CPanel make the software installation process difficult and time-consuming. Post-installation issues include problems with sending messages and additional software installation. 

EndQuote:

Marcus is correct that you should be looking at a VPS or Dedicated server to do it right.  They both give you the ability to run whatever plugins you want to with little to no restructions.   

It will run on shared up to a certain point then either you will need a feature you cant install like FFMPEG or they limit you so much it effects users, or it gets slow.

You actually no longer need a host now days if you do the unmanaged VPS or Dedi, all you need is a panel like cpanel, the OS like centOS, and cloudflares free service and a registrar.  With that you can leave out the host all together. 

The Forum post is edited by dave Aug 19 '19
lEWIS
lEWIS Aug 19 '19
Yes godaddy can be a great option to go with.Specially if u ask in terms of oxwall 

mypascoconnect

The Forum post is edited by lEWIS Aug 19 '19
Marcus
Marcus Aug 19 '19

Another thing to consider is data or space needed both HDD and SQL. Oxwall is very data thirsty and generates a ton of data.

Plus you need at least 1gb of ram and as many CPU's as you can get. Since OW makes so many requests you will need pretty decent processing power. This is only when the site is quite busy. For starters you can go with minimum processing power.

The newbies seem to be missing the big picture here. Its not about price it's about reliability and trust!!!

The Forum post is edited by Marcus Aug 19 '19
Marius
Marius Aug 19 '19

Thank you everyone for help and information.

Best regards

Marius
Marius Aug 19 '19
@ dave,

I found the versions:

centos 6.4 x 86_6

centos 6.6 x 86_6

centos 6.9 x 86_6

centos 6.10 x 86_6

centos 7.0 x 86_6

centosd 7.1 x 86_6

centos 7.3 x 86_6

centos.7.6 x 86_6

Which is preferable?

dave Leader
dave Aug 19 '19
Use the one labeled "latest stable version". 
OW-Ghost
OW-Ghost Aug 25 '19
i have tested this many host companys siteground,godaddy,comet and what ever they name is and they will overcharge you and you probably not have better protections against hackers if you create a own cloud server.

and this host companys is only there for milk out money from you, nothing else. and they totally deny TTFB and latency compare to the giants . google,azure, AWS if you start talk with them. You can see many post about this on internet how they DENY they garbage network and data centers they use. they answer is simple . they not have the money that google,microsoft and aws have to build up this HUGE networks so they need rely on third part networks that never will have the same speed as the giants have.

and they will refuse telling you that they TTFB are very very very bad and you SEO will bee very very very bad with this host companys that shre resourses from each other. and they have setup this servers very very very strict when it comes to resources . upload bigger files and recieve traffic.

But again the most importen to not pick this jokers is that they buy a third part netwrok out from they servers that are not have the good speed if you compare with AWS and Googles high speed premium networks that they build up with they own money and data centers.

I was tired after 4 years use this garbage host compnays and was decide one day jump right into learn how to setup a google cloud server and do i regret this now?

answer is simple NO

you get this:

- premium high speed network that other small host companys can never match when it comes to TTFB and latency.

- LOW cost , i was reduce cost 250% with a own cloud server

- SEO get better

- There  is many useful guides how to setup a cloud server on you own just read them

- setup they own CDN for low cost

Do not buy Cpanel use a free control panel like webmin i would recommend and then you will have a very good server for a very long time that is simple to run with no issues

Add cloudflare is firewall it is simple and you not need bee server admin to use that firewall or other third part firewalls that have already setup firewall rules for you.

I could save about 10 000 usd in 4 years if i did this from start and now i calculted the BAD seo that comes with a vps from a host companys third part network.

Oxwall should stop recomend this much smaller host companys and start recommend the giants

- Aws

- Azure

- Google

this is the future this other smaller host companys is soon DEAD in very near future and they know ti to but still they are alive because google is still growing and aws and azure the same but it is juts mather of time before all this smaller host will bee dead 

Many website software have created easy "server image" on AWS and Google and Azure for just with a simple click install the website software on this cloud servers and all the server settings are already setup for working best for the website software. awsome feature that oxwall and skadate refuse to use because they want earn money for this service on they own.

the problem is as alwasy here is oxwall not interested help people create such server image they want you pay them for help you setup this server but not go for that scam

it is simple to setup a server . it took me 1 month to study how to setup a cloud server with php settings and mysql settings and apache settings and what logs you should look at when you get errors and then just google the errors and you will solve them easy

I was ask for a guide how to setup a google or aws server on oxwall here on this forum but nobody wanted create such guide so i decide do it my self. it was fun i recomend everyone do it. you will see the speed on your server go up and you seo go up and you money in you wallet will stay!

ow-ghost

The Forum post is edited by OW-Ghost Aug 25 '19
dave Leader
dave Aug 25 '19
Your hosting will depend on your overall plan.  

Is this a hobby or a business?

Do you want to be setup for a larger membership or just whoever happens to join.

What is your budget?

What is your server and website knowledge, are you willing to learn?

There are hosts as little as $9.99 for the entire first 12 months (not each month) and go up from there.

The Forum post is edited by dave Aug 25 '19
OW-Ghost
OW-Ghost Aug 25 '19
there is free host dave 100% free

google cloud servers are free and you can start from there and advance later

do not listen to this who tell small host companys are good to start with from 4.99 or 9.99 or what ever price it is ...it is garbage just garbage and expensive to use...you want success not use this companys from start ...use things that make you grow

just search many videos on youtube ...you find they who run free hosting in many years...and when it is time upgrade you already use the best network for your site

skadate selling only AWS services because they know same me it is the future use highspeed networks and datacenters and they are not expensive ...as i told they are free from start to use and you can test before decide use it totally free ...i do not know why some still recommend smaller host companys the year 2019....they are in the dark and will stay there in future when google and microsoft and yahoo take over the market totally

if you go for this smaller host companys you get this:

1. Low speed network

2. Expensive

3. Bad SEO

4. Strict server rules = some are not even possible to change because you are usely only have small access to server settings on this garbage host plans.

5. They say they will take care of everything . but really do they do that. answer is NO you need send 100 tickets everytime you want change something or add something and sometimes they say NO we can not install this module on our server. And sometimes they say NO we can not open that port on firewall.

I say to everyone that use oxwall go for the big cloud server companys from START, do not take the long way that i did with no experinese with this milking the money companys that not care if you have bad TTFB and latency. They protect they reputation 100% and if not beleive me start talk with them about TTFB you will see 100 things thay blame for this but never blame they own Network . they things are perfect always and have the best speed always. but now fisnihed for me support this small server companys and i very happy and want everyone feel the same me when switch to bigger cloud server companys. it is a good feeling and you can relax more because speed are STABLE almost everyday.

one trick this companys liek to do when you tell them check speed is they search nearest country or city and they use direct connection but you think they use same way you use when you testing. thye are all scammers in my opinion and they are 100% good to hide they garbage speed. many articles about this on internet that i study. stay away from the black hole.....use things that make you successs from the start....they have digging big cables in the ground for YOU to use them...so why not use this for free...only me who stupid and now little did use they who pay for third part networks and data centers....but no more...thank god for that

here is some reason i pick google cloud as hosting

https://kinsta.com/blog/google-cloud-hosting/

dave Leader
dave Aug 25 '19
Free hosting is junk, many of them wont run oxwall effectively which is why i did not mention it :)

The 9.99 i mentioned is from namecheap, which is not a small host. Its what i run my test site on, it runs oxwall just fine other than a 5 min cron time.  

Also if your going to run webmin, you need to know how servers work and what you are doing, cpanel is $45 a month i believe, but it makes it easy to learn if your not sure what your doing.  Use it until you learn and then you can always start a new server with webmin.

OW-Ghost
OW-Ghost Aug 25 '19
Free google cloud hosting is work fine with oxwall as starting and dave i 100& sure you never test it. You need look youtube videos the guys that test this free hosting for many years. and it not small company ...we talk about google...and they have great products with quality and when it comes to SEO and premium network.

Dave dissapointed in you little knowledge about google cloud compute and still run this low speed servers that are expensive compare to googles cloud hosting and premium network that is free to use.

webmin is easy to use. if you run cpanel/whm you need get help and read many guides how the software working and there is to many features taht is not need to have . thye make it to complicated and everyone knows that plus you pay for this garbage every month just waiste of money.

Start free and use the fast network in the world. you can never win over that what ever you say you will look just more not experinese when it comes to servers

you expensive server and expensive cpanel software not helps when you still sit on a low speed network

for me logical thinking and pick to think logical or pick to think old style like dave do now....this companys are use old slow speed networks and not have the money build networks like google do and aws.

now you need give up dave

OW-Ghost
OW-Ghost Aug 25 '19
I just check my new skadate website that have little traffic and been online for 2 or 3 years.

my google cloud server runs on - 512 Mb RAM fine and stable everyday of that 3.75 gb ram that is max.

the cpu is so low i use 12% of 1 cpu.

So i think i could run my site in free g1 small plan with no issues. 

I can not downgrade to free plan right now but i sure i will test this soon and come back with more news here if you want that regarding this.

When someone told me you can run a wordpress with FREE hosting forever on Google cloud i first think they was joking but it is 100% true you can easy do that as long you have little traffic and your site is new

and with my monitor tool i almost sure you can do that with a oxwall website to with no issues, but not forget now we talk about low traffic websites in general

Bear in mind also that for between 5–10 dollars per month you can actually get a paid-for server by using either Google Cloud, AWS, Linode, Digitalocean or others.

Here is instructions for a wordpress site https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cG9kv5-5bPI

No instructions for oxwall software yet but it is much almost same setup....maybe someone could make a guide

I did a guide it was 80% finsihed then suddly my PC went blank and all the thing si was write down was not saved on my "text" editor i was use? my file was to gone? i think i was cry two weeks becasue i was made a very good guide for setup oxwall on a google cloud platform. and how to setup server settings and more...

so right now i not want start over again and do a new guide but maybe in future i will

BUT i see many wordpress setup guides on youtube are almost the same as setup a oxwall website. ONLY some smaller adjustments and i sure everyone can do it with no skills in servers. if i could do it you can do it :)

Phil Murphy
Phil Murphy Sep 5 '19
A2Hosting - great customer service too.
Damian
Damian Sep 7 '19

https://blueonnix.com I am giving free Oxwall installation, lifetime support and you can start as low as $0.95/mothis is my oxwall site that is on my own hosting https://undewall.com yes and free ssl to

The Forum post is edited by Damian Sep 7 '19
OW-Ghost
OW-Ghost Sep 7 '19

Quote from Damian

https://blueonnix.com I am giving free Oxwall installation, lifetime support and you can start as low as $0.95/mothis is my oxwall site that is on my own hosting https://undewall.com yes and free ssl to

ttfb 1 second from London...advice you go for premium networks that AWS and Google and Azure use.
The Forum post is edited by OW-Ghost Sep 7 '19
Daniel Smith
Daniel Smith Oct 4 '22
Oxwall have mentioned on their website to avoid using shared hosting platforms to avoid facing problems in your deployment so I'd suggest you go for a private cloud service provider. My personal recommendation is ACE cloud hosting they provide excellent private cloud services and offer free credits worth $300 on sign up.