We build. You grow.

Get best community software here

Start a social network, a fan-site, an education project with oxwall - free opensource community software

Weird user search function results | Forum

Topic location: Forum home » Support » General Questions
Wietse
Wietse Nov 8 '12
I have Gender (1:male, 2:female) (single choice)
and Looking For (1:male, 2:female) (multiple choice)

But when I go to the user Search pane, it's not clear whether the Gender I need to select is the gender of what I'm looking for, or my own gender.

If I am a Man looking for a Woman, I would think I need to select Gender: Male and Looking For: Female, but this doesn't work, this gives me a list of all Males looking for (at least) a Female.

If I want a list of Females that are looking for Males, I need to select Gender:Female, looking for:Male, which is not easy to understand.

Is this the way Oxwall is supposed to work?
The Forum post is edited by Wietse Nov 8 '12
Alia Team
Alia Nov 8 '12
Wieste, you are right. That is the way Oxwall works.
On the search form you select:
Looking for: gender person specified he is looking for when registering on your site.

You can always change your questions  at admin/questions/index/ .

Wietse
Wietse Nov 9 '12
Thanks Aliia, while I understand that that is the way Oxwall works, it's not intuitive to our members, as the admin kept getting mails that the search function was 'broken'. I am sure that in 99% of the cases, the Oxwall search indeed works like it is supposed to.

But this is a special case, when a man is searching for a woman, he is in fact asking from the database to provide him with all women who are looking for a man.

To accomplish this result I dug into the 'base_question_data' MySQL tables and found out in what string-id the sex of a person and their match_sex are stored.

Then I opened user_search.php and in the process function I switched the contents of $data["sex"] and $data["match_sex"] to match the expectations of our members.

I am well aware that this might cause compatibility issues down the road, and discourage anyone from applying such hard code fixes in code that is meant to be cross-compatible, but I'd rather curse once a year than every day...

Perhaps when the documentation starts existing on a meaningful level, I could solidify these 'hacks' into Oxwall plugins.
The Forum post is edited by Wietse Nov 9 '12
Alia Team
Alia Nov 12 '12
Wietse,  as a suggestion, I can recommend putting small "notes" near each question, to give users a better idea of what each question means.

kloyst
kloyst Mar 9 '22
Everyone who reads this knows that argentina women are among the most gorgeous in the world. With this objective in mind, I began my Internet search, but I ended up wasting a lot of time and effort. It was at that point that I happened onto these gentlemen, who provided me the opportunity to connect, live, and spend time with a girl I like. I can certainly suggest these folks to you; they will not disappoint you.
Alexis Jons
Alexis Jons Mar 28 '22
Many Western men secretly dream of marrying an asian brides Not only are these women beautiful, but they have warm, hospitable personalities, which make them ideal candidates for marriage. After marriage, these women tend to focus their attention and energy on the family, which makes them the perfect choice for foreign men. But are Asian brides really worth it? This article explores the reasons why you should consider marrying an Asian bride.
Alex
Alex Aug 30 '23
Whether you want to know more about your neighbors, colleagues, business partners, or even distant relatives, PERSONTRUST (http://persontrust.com) will leave no stone unturned. They understand that everyone has a past, and their platform ensures that you have all the information you need to make informed decisions.
The Forum post is edited by Alex Sep 14 '23