We build. You grow.

Get best community software here

Start a social network, a fan-site, an education project with oxwall - free opensource community software

News Feed, small change | Forum

Topic location: Forum home » Support » General Questions
Catkin
Catkin Oct 24 '19
hay, so I re-enabled likes on our sites news feed. 

When someone likes the content it pushes it back up the news feed to the top. 

How can I disable this?

I would like users to be able to like content but it to not create a new post stating that people have liked the content.

Thank you!

dave Leader
dave Oct 24 '19
That is the way the newsfeed works as far as i know.  It keeps people from having to search pages of posts to find the latest one or like.   As far as i know most social scripts work this way.  
Patricia Zorrilla Leader
Patricia Zorrilla Oct 25 '19

When you like a newsfeed entry, a new newsfeed entry is generated.

It is NOT that the previous entry "goes up".

I do not understand why you want to remove this functionality, if precisely the goal of a FaceBook style wall is that there is a lot of news.That makes you visit profiles, see photos, videos, blogs, etc.

That makes you visit profiles, see photos, videos, blogs, etc.

In this way a news that likes is appearing on the wall for several days until everyone has seen it and stop commenting and putting likes on it.

I have searched for you where the news is inserted and I have added a "if the news is of this type do not do anything" but you would have to check that it works well.

You have to check that:

1- To the article (photo, video, blog ...) the likes are noted

2- The owner of the article continues to receive notification that they have given him a like

I have not tried it, it may be necessary to place this "if" elsewhere because I have not checked if at this point you have already sent the notification and noted the like in the database or if you do so later.

The file to modify is misite.com/ow_plugins/newsfeed/bol/service.php on line 257

I attach a couple of images with the before and after.

Once the file has been edited and saved, you must activate the DEBUG mode (https://wiki.oxwall.com/plugin-tuts:enable-debug), access the web, exit and deactivate the DEBUG mode

If it doesn't work, comment on this thread.

Attachments:
  after.jpg (246Kb)
  before.jpg (242Kb)
Catkin
Catkin Oct 25 '19
Thanks again Patricia, think we'll just disable the feature since its probably not quite worth the time setting this up and just how long our site has managed without the like button anyway.

Will maybe try this on our developer site if I have the time and come back to it though!