We build. You grow.

Get best community software here

Start a social network, a fan-site, an education project with oxwall - free opensource community software

Text with capital letters | Forum

Topic location: Forum home » Support » General Questions
Rob
Rob Oct 28 '19

Why is there quite a lot of text used in the themes which every word starts with a capital letter.?

Can this be changed easily through a css adjustment.

Marcus
Marcus Oct 29 '19
Yes. Please make use of Firefox or Chrome firebug like dev tool to inspect the code in question and then change it in base.css

Windows shortcut. Ctrl+shift+c
Rob
Rob Oct 29 '19
Thanks Marcus, but I actually asked if there is a code or a change in the css to change this.
Marcus
Marcus Oct 29 '19
I told you brother to use that tool which will tell ya which css class needs to be changed in order to change font-weight.

The Forum post is edited by Marcus Oct 29 '19
Marcus
Marcus Oct 29 '19
Check youtube video tutorial to understand what I mean. Just type.... Firebug tutorial.. 
The Forum post is edited by Marcus Oct 29 '19
Marcus
Marcus Oct 29 '19
Then just replace all..... font-weight:change-this-part to normal
Rob
Rob Oct 29 '19
Sorry Marcus, we may seem too stupid to solve these things in your eyes, but we are not developers.
Marcus
Marcus Oct 29 '19
Buddy am just saying that oxwall html contains hundreds of classes there is no magic code that will take care of them all. You need to find the text you wanna change get their class find that class inside global.css and change it.

Maybe at least say what text you wanna change. 
Marcus
Marcus Oct 29 '19
The reason I keep on pushing this tool or similar for this matter is case it let's you edit live code right from your browser, you can see everying happening live. 
Rob
Rob Oct 29 '19
We have now installed Firebug lite for Google Chrome, and see this as a result (see attach), but it does not tell us anything LOL.
The Forum post is edited by Rob Oct 29 '19
Attachments:
  CSS inspected.JPG (45Kb)
Marcus
Marcus Oct 30 '19
Check this tutorial out.. Youtube

The Forum post is edited by Marcus Oct 30 '19
Marcus
Marcus Oct 30 '19
To bring up the inspect code tool aka firebug rip aperently windows shortcut...

Ctrl+shift+c

Ps. Use Firefox it's better
The Forum post is edited by Marcus Oct 30 '19
Patricia Zorrilla Leader
Patricia Zorrilla Oct 30 '19

Editing the .CSS of the theme and looking for all "uppercase" you find them all. Looking for them one by one can take too many hours.

Correcting them one by one by adding more rules will slow down the web.

All the "styles" that the navigator receives processes, orders, cancels contradictory orders, prioritizes those that put "! Important" .... If instead of sending all that you send it already digested you will send much less Kb per page (oh! , surprise, more speed)

All the styles that you see crossed out with the FireBug console (I use Chrome's F12, I think it's similar) are idiotic bytes that you have sent again and again, or I remember that the Internet, in the background, is just text and is not sent compiled and digested. We are talking about HTML and CSS, every byte counts. A "text-transform: uppercase;" and an additional carriage return is 26 bytes ... for each page title, each widget title ... And perhaps that text was already capitalized.

I do not need to be the subject that transforms the texts, I think the admin should take care of capitalizing what he deems appropriate. 

Rob
Rob Oct 31 '19

Thank you Patricia, it is a huge amount of work (which we do not have the time for) plus it makes the website slower.!

We will not start with it, we thought that a code or a series of codes could solve that problem.

We ourselves find it very strange, to start every word with a capital letter, but that is perhaps personal.

Many thanks for your thoughts Marcus and Patricia.

Marcus
Marcus Oct 31 '19
Rob baby take it easy I know it's a bit overwhelming at first but we are here in case you need anything.

Don't get descoraged just case you hit a bump on the road keep on going aks questions don't let anybody influence you hunger for learning. Join programming forums. 

Install xampp server on your pc to practice what you learned. 

Watch YouTube tutorials this actually how I learn most of the stuff. 

Good luck. 
Senior Developer Leader
Senior Developer Nov 1 '19

Hi Rob!

Try this custom CSS. I don't know if it will work, if you tell us which theme are you using, I give you better assistance. Give it a try and let us know if it works:

html, body, div, span, applet, object, iframe, h1, h2, h3, h4, h5, h6, p, blockquote, pre, a, abbr, acronym, address, big, cite, code, del, dfn, em, font, img, ins, kbd, q, s, samp, small, strike, strong, sub, sup, tt, var, b, u, i, center, dl, dt, dd, ol, ul, li, fieldset, form, label, legend, table, caption, tbody, tfoot, thead, tr, th, td {

text-transform: none !important;

}

Senior Developer.

Rob
Rob Nov 1 '19

As soon as we have time for it Senior Developer, we will try.!

We use the theme Oxygen, which with a number of others themes have been taken over by DL DATE SOLUTIONS but they have not yet placed the themes back in to the store.

With regards,

Admiraliteit Imedia

The Forum post is edited by Rob Nov 2 '19
dave Leader
dave Nov 4 '19
There is also a php function ucwords()  which capitalizes the first letter of each word in a string. 

https://www.php.net/manual/en/function.ucwords.php

There is also a ucfirst function as well.  
https://www.php.net/manual/en/function.ucfirst.php

Rob
Rob Nov 5 '19

Senior Developer, we have implemented your solution and it works as far as we can see.

The annoying uppercase letters have been changed to regular letters thankfully.

It may be something personal, but we find it annoying that every word with a capital letter negates.

Now, fortunately, it has changed.

Thank you very much for your solution.