We build. You grow.

Get best community software here

Start a social network, a fan-site, an education project with oxwall - free opensource community software

Limit outgoing emails | Forum

Topic location: Forum home » Support » General Questions
Marcus
Marcus Nov 2 '19
I'm wondering if ow has some like a setting to provide the amount of emails to be sent per hour.

It's a great way to set a limit to avoid getting blocked for spam. For those using other than vps or dedicated server. 
Oxwall Germany Club
Oxwall Germany Nov 2 '19

There is already a limit. In the standard configuration the mail script is executed every 5 minutes if the cronjob was configured correctly (watch on GitHub). Every time the mail script is executed, there are sent out maximum of 50 emails (watch on GitHub). Thus, per hour you can send (60 / 5) * 50 = 600 emails.

This is valid for all emails that are added to the mail queue. Mails that are sent directly are not included.

You can increase the limits by changing the values. Please contact your hosting provide before to check the maximum limit that is allowed. Please keep in mind that you should send your mails in intervals to avoid blacklisting.

Marcus
Marcus Nov 2 '19
Thanks ow Germany. 50/h sounds about right. I'm not gonna mess with that. I was just wondering case recently my email account was blocked for spam and it made me wonder whether ow sends out all emails in queue at once. 
The Forum post is edited by Marcus Nov 2 '19
OW-Ghost
OW-Ghost Nov 2 '19
one thing that make oxwall always blocked as spam is

it send 2 email the same time

verify email and welcome email....this is not allowed by hotmail and you 2 emails will go to spam box

i do now not know what the oxwall engineer was thinking about when he created this welcome email. try get rid of it

The Forum post is edited by OW-Ghost Nov 2 '19
Marcus
Marcus Nov 2 '19
Makes sence case when registrations went up I got blocked for spam. Thanks buddy gonna try to get rid of welcome mail. 
The Forum post is edited by Marcus Nov 2 '19
Oxwall Germany Club
Oxwall Germany Nov 2 '19

Quote from Marcus 50/h sounds about right. 

It's 600 per hour and 50 every 5 minutes.

If you got blacklisted from Hotmail you can request to remove your mail server from the blacklist: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/getsupport?oaspworkflow=start_1.0.0.0&wfname=capsub&productkey=edfsmsbl3

Marcus
Marcus Nov 2 '19
It's godaddy. I like this hosting but not sure why theyve desided to block my outgoing emails claiming its spam. 
Oxwall Germany Club
Oxwall Germany Nov 3 '19
If your own hosting provider blocked your account you should contact them. Ask them for the specific reasons and how many emails are allowed per hour.
The Forum post is edited by Oxwall Germany Nov 3 '19
Marcus
Marcus Nov 3 '19
It's 500/h I think. I think I'm gonna play safe card and set to to 400
dave Leader
dave Nov 4 '19
If you are using CPanel, you can also set your mail config to improve you chances for NOT getting blocked.  Since those options have changed recently please contact the CPanel forum to find out the best config settings.  :)

You can also set limits there as well. 

Many years ago there used to be a hotmail and msn process for whitelisting your webmail address by contacting them with the email details, but im not sure if they still do it that way or not.  

The Forum post is edited by dave Nov 4 '19
Marcus
Marcus Nov 5 '19
Thanks guys
Peter Groft
Peter Groft Aug 6 '22
The sending limit for outgoing email messages is 300 (three hundred) messages per day. Maximum 100 per email. Again, suspicious activity can lead to a temporarily lower limit (as low as 10 (ten) recipients).

Greetings,

Peter

Geraldo Doly
Geraldo Doly Apr 22 '23
It's just a simple fact of life. For most companies and service providers, sending a lot of emails every day is part and parcel of everyday operations. It's an unavoidable situation that nobody can get around, except maybe through automation. But even though it's not something to think about often, sometimes things can go wrong. A firewall is too restrictive and blocks the outbound traffic, or the mail server itself doesn't have access to the smtp ports needed for sending the mail.