We build. You grow.

Get best community software here

Start a social network, a fan-site, an education project with oxwall - free opensource community software

How can I leverage browser caching? | Forum

Topic location: Forum home » Support » General Questions
Tom
Tom Nov 11 '12
I currently don't have any traffic to my site other than a few testers and it gets bogged down when switching between pages sometimes.  I ran a Pingdom.com test (see attached file) and it reported that I need to "Leverage browser caching" and "Combine external JavaScript".  I'm not sure the best way to do this.

I am currently using a shared business server from Arvixe.  I've been told that I can implement server side caching if I go to a VPS.  I could also implement Zend Framework caching.  I'm very interested in learning what others have done, what has worked well and what you recommend I do next.

Thanks,

Tom

p.s.- When I manually clear the cache on my browser it does help a lot.  I need a way to do this automatically because my users will never do this.
Attachments:
  Pingdom_Stats_11_11_12.png (189.12Kb)
Purusothaman Ramanujam
you can Minify all the css and js files in the static folder, which will have good effect on page loads
Tom
Tom Nov 12 '12
Thanks Purus!

I have not done this before, but I found a site that described Minifying and suggested tools to do it here:
http://developer.yahoo.com/performance/rules.html

I will backup my site and the original files before Minifying the CSS and JavaScript files.

Cheers!

Tom
Kяuncн Leader
Kяuncн May 13 '13
I minified all the css, js and html files, compressed the images and gained a 81 score out of 100 stating my website is faster than 83% of all tested websites, however as you can see by the screen-shot there are things lacking that do effect performance, those being Leverage browser caching and the Serve static content from a cookieless domain, anyone on any other ideas as to how I can improve these areas?

And here is what Google says on the issue:

Leverage browser caching Overview

Setting an expiry date or a maximum age in the HTTP headers for static resources instructs the browser to load previously downloaded resources from local disk rather than over the network.

~ Source ~

So however all that is done IDK, any clues,,, anyone?

The Forum post is edited by Kяuncн May 14 '13
Md Ashraf Malik
Md Ashraf Malik Jul 2 '16
Follow These Instructions

1 open your htaccess file

2 paste following code in htaccess

<IfModule mod_expires.c>
ExpiresActive On
ExpiresByType image/jpg "access 1 year"
ExpiresByType image/jpeg "access 1 year"
ExpiresByType image/gif "access 1 year"
ExpiresByType image/png "access 1 year"
ExpiresByType text/css "access 1 month"
ExpiresByType application/pdf "access 1 month"
ExpiresByType application/x-javascript "access 1 month"
ExpiresByType application/x-shockwave-flash "access 1 month"
ExpiresByType image/x-icon "access 1 year"
ExpiresDefault "access 2 days"
</IfModule>

3 save your htaccess file and check on Google PageSpeed insights .

Source Website

The Forum post is edited by Md Ashraf Malik Oct 18 '20
ross Team
ross Jul 11 '16
I believe this article will be useful as well: http://www.deluxeblogtips.com/...site-performace.html

Bakolo
Bakolo Sep 19 '23
Hello, Internet banking of electronic payments is an important element of the existence of the payment ecosystem. The development of online banking and the transition to mobile versions of banks, as the main channels of interaction, help to simplify the procedure for transferring funds from one bank account to another. At the same time, a significant factor is the ability of third-party organizations to safely use the interfaces of banks, while acting as payment initiation operators. There are many platforms that allow you to make international payments, this is the ideal payment solution for electronic commerce.