We build. You grow.

Get best community software here

Start a social network, a fan-site, an education project with oxwall - free opensource community software

Extended Mass Mail By JK | Forum

Topic location: Forum home » Support » General Questions
Asoka Janaka
Asoka Janaka Apr 29 '20
Mass mail is not sending emails. Getting an Error message

TYPEERROR:CANNOT READ PROPERTY 'FOCUS' OF NULL

Can someone help. No reply from the developer.

Regards

Asoka

Patricia Zorrilla Leader
Patricia Zorrilla Apr 29 '20

I didn't buy that plug-in, I can't help you

It's an old plugin, it might not work in modern PHP versions.

What version of PHP do you use?

Asoka Janaka
Asoka Janaka Apr 29 '20
Patricia Zorrilla Leader
Patricia Zorrilla Apr 29 '20

Must be another problem.

I can't help you, I don't have that plug-in

Asoka Janaka
Asoka Janaka Apr 29 '20
Sure Thanks for your help
dave Leader
dave Apr 30 '20
I hope that SD can reply to this as he is the JS expert around here.  I am pretty sure that it means one of the js focus commands is trying to focus on a null element but not sure which js code that would be (plugin or oxwall related).
Marcus
Marcus Apr 30 '20
Hi why don't you open console and click on the error it should show the line of code that's causing the issue and the file. 
Marcus
Marcus Apr 30 '20
Ps by consolé i mean you browsers developer tools. Load the page press shift + ctrl + c then click on console. Send us snap shot of the log. 
The Forum post is edited by Marcus Apr 30 '20
dave Leader
dave Apr 30 '20
Marcus there is no JS error in the console, i looked last week and didnt see anything at all.
Marcus
Marcus May 1 '20
hi dave frim my understanding the user no longer uses the plugging in question. My guess is null was referring to deleted user. most likelly on user data colection some if the ids belonged to deleted users. But again its hard ti know for sure what the problem is without actually seeing error itself or heaving access to source code. 
OW-Ghost
OW-Ghost May 1 '20
Yes i think you right "Marcus"

I see this error sometimes when i delete a user then another plugin third part try load this profile because it have not yet get any hooks that this profile is deleted then a conflict or error like this shows up

and i also agree that many problem you can see in console and many hard to use this when they debuging and i can understand that because it something you need learn how to do open this developer tools in browser. I solved many issues just open this console then see what error you get

maybe he try clear cache for that plugin and try again .....see if it helps...or reinstall the plugin

the plugin is looking for data that not excisting ....

The Forum post is edited by OW-Ghost May 1 '20
Marcus
Marcus May 2 '20
hi Ghost currently photo pluggings got similar issue that causes email notifications to get stuck. ill try to address this bug today.  
OW-Ghost
OW-Ghost May 2 '20
yes i see this error before and the plugin looking for something that not excisting , but i can bee wrong i not a coder but i think this was happen me many times before in the past
Quote from Marcus hi Ghost currently photo pluggings got similar issue that causes email notifications to get stuck. ill try to address this bug today.  

Asoka Janaka
Asoka Janaka May 2 '20
There is a serious problem with that plugin. We were getting 503 error since we included that plugin. We have now removed the plugin and the 503 error has disappeared with it. The only advantage with that plugin is that one could add a HTML template  to it. We are now using the basic mass mailing and all working fine.

The Oxwall team should look into this and remove that plugin from the store.

One other suggestion to the Oxwall team. All these plugins that don't work or have no support from the developers should be taken over from the store, fix them and incorporate into the Oxwall software and release as a new update to 1.8.4. 

Any comments from the forum to this suggestion.

Patricia Zorrilla Leader
Patricia Zorrilla May 2 '20

There are two plugins that do this:

https://developers.oxwall.com/store/item/580

https://developers.oxwall.com/store/item/615

from 20 and 15 USD

They both have 5 stars and positive feedback.

Where's your negative feedback, Asoka Janaka?

Do you really think that another developer is going to create another plugin that does the same thing if there are already two very cheap ones with five stars?

Also, there is a rule in the shop that says that you can't add new plugins that do the same as old ones if they don't bring something new.

"Something new" could be "that works", but as you can see it doesn't say anywhere that it doesn't work.

I wouldn't remove anything from the store because those who buy are entitled to download their purchase. I have bought plugins and they are no longer there to download,

If I were a moderator, I would put a warning note "Developer no longer supports" or something like that.

As I am not a moderator I can only scold buyers with complaints about not putting up negative notes.

What I am is a developer, and I assure you that all software has problems. A balance has to be made between speed and security, and a study between development time, sales price and how many copies will be sold.

In this case it is likely that a user no longer exists but when he existed he would have been included in your selection criteria, or some similar bug like this

https://developers.oxwall.com/forum/topic/66683

that happens in a plug-in of mine. That's when a NewsFeed news item no longer exists but has likes. NewsFeed has not deleted the likes by deleting the news. My plugin is correct, it is in many websites and for each user of each website digests thousands of likes and news without any problem.

Of course I can add an "if() then { } and foresee this, and foresee a thousand possible similar things but they affect the performance. I include the most common ones with the "debug mode" and if you activate it it performs additional checks.

If that plugin was mine, activating the debug mode would tell you exactly what's going on. But it's clear that if I develop a plugin that does this it would have to be sold at 10USD and maybe they will reject it in the shop and not publish it. And if they publish it, it would sell one a year.

Sorry about the book. I'm very angry with the way things are at OxWall and we users also have to waste our time voting from 1 to 5 and commenting on the good and bad of each plugin.

The Forum post is edited by Patricia Zorrilla May 2 '20
Asoka Janaka
Asoka Janaka May 2 '20
Thank you for the reply. I will now give a negative feedback
Asoka Janaka
Asoka Janaka May 2 '20

As per your suggestions

The first one allows users to send email messages. We are not too keen on that.

Second one is the one with the problem. No support from the developer.

dave Leader
dave May 2 '20
You may be able to edit the first one to remove the user email feature, that feature might even have a user roles permission selector on it to turn that feature/permission off, i dont know...
Asoka Janaka
Asoka Janaka May 2 '20
Thanks Dave,

I am trying you setup HTML code to the outgoing email. Once i master that i will be ok.

Marcus
Marcus May 3 '20
hi folks all this talk about emails got me thinking and eventually gave me an idea of a pluging or the way i do it by going straight to source code. anyways....

send emails only to those users whos last active timestamp is less or equals whatever you value is.

as we know smtp server is expensive thus why send emails to users whos email address might not be valid anymore.
The Forum post is edited by Marcus May 3 '20
Pages: 1 2 »