We build. You grow.

Get best community software here

Start a social network, a fan-site, an education project with oxwall - free opensource community software

Current Suspended Items | Forum

Topic location: Forum home » Support » Oxwall Store
dave Leader
dave Jun 3 '20

Regarding Phase 1 - Store Cleanup

The first batch of store suspended items has been done, a total of 105 items suspended.

I wanted to do this list and keep it updated with new batches to allow devs to look to see what "might" be possible.  Remember that the developer whos product has been suspended has 30 days from the date of suspension to contact us in order to keep their plugin ideas from being released to a new developer.  At that time i will update this list to show ideas (models) are available.

attachment removed by dave

The developer can always come back at a later date and reactivate their plugins but they will need to go through the approval process all over again regardess of when that is.

After the 30 days has passed and no word from the developer then and only then i will update the list to show what models are available for creation. You will need to choose from the list and please please help me out by letting me know which ones you will do so i can mark them as well once the 30 days has expired.

Again you will NOT get any code from the old plugin, you will have to develope a plugin that has a different name and from scratch regarding the plugin model in question.

Here is the current list: (you will need to have libreoffice or excel to read the file)

PS.... Just in case anyone is wondering, i am retired from new plugins and this does not change that, i will not be doing any new plugins from this list in specific. 

The Forum post is edited by dave Jun 26 '20
Patricia Zorrilla Leader
Patricia Zorrilla Jun 3 '20

Good job!

Excel also allows to handle this type of files (ODS)

Bob Bob
Bob Bob Jun 9 '20
I noticed that some of the items removed were free plugins. 

I greatly appreciate all your work to clean up the store, Dave. In fact, I'm sure everyone here does. But are we sure that removing free plugins, especially when they still work just fine with the current version of Oxwall, is the best move? 

Even if they aren't actively supported or developed any longer, I don't see much benefit to removing functioning, free plugins. 

Maybe, if the admin team is 100% determined to get rid of all plugins that are no longer actively developed, there could at least be some sort of "plugin graveyard", where free plugins from inactive developers are kept available?

dave Leader
dave Jun 9 '20

Hi, thanks for your input, its appreciated.   I cannot speak on patricias plugins as it is a business privacy matter.  What i can say is that patricia totally understands what is happening and will be re-submitting her plugins. I personally have had discussions with her and she is 100% onboard with the changes/improvements.   I highly respect patricia and await her resubmits.

As for the free plugins, a plugin that only supports oxwall 1.7.2 does not do anyone any good, it is just a problem waiting to happen, so they have been suspended. 

We cannot play favorites nor can we make excuses for bad behavior.  If a developer has abandonded their support then we must act accordingly.   Change is not easy and there will be some that get upset at the efforts to improve things, but this has been a long term issue and we cannot let it continue to fester.

The Forum post is edited by dave Jun 9 '20
dave Leader
dave Jun 9 '20

I understand and i appreciate feedback and opinions however direct they are as long as they are not abusive, i have no problem with direct.

There is of course no way to make everyone happy, but we will do our best to find a happy median between policy, developer obligations, and user needs.

We have no plans and it is NOT our intention to wipe the whole store, that is not our vision or purpose here.  However, if we have 200 broken plugins and noone is supporting them, they dont need to be advertised or purchased as you stated.

Our goal is to get developers to understand that this is a business like any other business, and they have obligations they must meet.  Having products in the store is a privilege and an honor and should be prideful and respected.  When developers start taking pride in their work and start taking a store display seriously as we do,  then users will eventually begin to trust in the process and the products again.  Then sales will go up, which attracts more developers. 

We get the store situated so that we help prevent losing the new users over a plugin that does not work or no support.  Then we get a update out (somehow) for the software to fix critical issues and catch up to PHP.  And then we have a good foundation to build on. 

Thats the plan.. :)

Ken
Ken Jun 9 '20
Things happened and you soon too will expire old man then your plugins will go out the store it’s like going to get medication and the pharmacist say oh no you cannot have this medication because that doctor doesn’t support our pharmacy policy “I replied are you the doctor or pharmacist” Oxwall should be an open source free for all nonprofit platform too many communist dictatorships going on let the bad coding or plugins be they will soon replenish Itself and did you Even do some research On your Position like pay attention to other platforms like Wordpress, Joomla, opencart, etc... they still got outdated plugins but someone too excited and doing too much or just wants to dictate what the people built who knows this ain’t right I know that rather dictate plugins why not focus on the new version update the site design new look something what should be added to the new oxwall version 1.9 or beyond but no they have more input or control on what maybe a growing or passed developer have tried to build to make this platform something now it will be taken away ain’t that something check yourself or maybe you just trying to have just your plugins in the store
dave Leader
dave Jun 9 '20

Ken, 

First of all i appreciate your feedback and your opinion, your reply is very difficult to understand due to the language challenge i suppose.

I can assure you that your claim that i only want my plugins in the store is simply obsurd and holds no water whatsoever.

As to why the the focus is not on a new release first and is on the store its quite simple. Imagine if you purchased a new car that is shiney and clean on the outside and when you open the door to the car the inside of the car is covered in mud and filth.  You would return the car most likely.

We feel the same way, if a user downloads and installs Oxwall and is very excited about using it, only to find out that the items he has purchased dont work or are not supported then they most likely will uninstall the script and never return.  This is what we do not want.

What we do want is for the user to have both, a great download product and great "working and supported" store products to go with that.   We chose to do the store first because we felt it was a starting point of change and would mean more to users immediately.  Plus a new version takes time to develope and the store could be cleaned up in less time and show progress is happening.

Also i do not personally have the authority to write or release a new version, we can all stand together and come up with something as things begin to happen. But what i can do and what i do have the authority to do is to clean up the store.  So that is why that is happening first.

I am sorry that you feel the way you do about our choices. However i have seen your messages on many plugin support areas in which you were begging them to update the plugin and/or make it work and so we are attempting to correct that issue.  I would normally expect a thank you for that.

I do not know at this point if Oxwall has plans to create a new team or what the current road map is. However, i know if we all stand together and put our ideas together we can accomplish great things.  I hope you will join us for that challenge.

PS. If you think i would not suspend my own plugin for violation you would be wrong, of course i would.

Ken
Ken Jun 10 '20
If I get a car (Oxwall download) and want to customized it with old or new features (Plugins) it’s up to me doesn’t make sense to return the car that’s working because Some extra features doesn’t work but I have gotten a free plugin and build on it to make it better (learn some coding along the way) you should just have added some functions like Wordpress to informed bugs and outdated plugins or something and how you want people to be on board when you making all the decisions no vote policy this that dictatorship none sense 
dave Leader
dave Jun 10 '20

I am not making all the decisions, i am directed to do things just like you are at your job.  Do i have some flexibility, yes. But much of what is happening now i am directed to make happen.

Look at it this way, if some developers come back, correct their products, and support them then this will make you and others very happy.  But if some do not come back and they are gone forever, then we did users a favor by saving them money and heartache. 

If you want to help, what i would ask is that you share some ideas of how to make oxwall great again here 

https://developers.oxwall.com/forum/topic/66811 

or even suggest some critical items that need to be fixed in a new version such as any errors or install issues in that same topic.

Helping is a great way to feel part of the solution rather than feeling helpless and angry.

The Forum post is edited by dave Jun 10 '20
dave Leader
dave Jun 10 '20

+1 Rob

dave Leader
dave Jun 10 '20

Chris_W,  

i agree that would be a good setup.   I dont have the power to do that, any coding changes to the store would have to be done by someone else as i dont have access to any of that.

My only concern with that is we all know how even if you put a huge red sign on something that reads "use at your own risk" there are people that will use it and complain that it is our fault even though they made the choice. 

A perfect case for that is the store itself. It is very clear in every store policy that the developers are totally responsible to maintain their stores and their products and provide support for their products.  Oxwall just supplies the venue (or environment).  But yet users complain every day that it is Oxwall's fault that the plugin does not work, or that the developer does not answer them. I wish it was not that way.

dave Leader
dave Jun 10 '20

+1 Rob,

this is what we are doing now is reminding them of their obligation by cleaning things up.

Ken
Ken Jun 10 '20
True +1Rob oxwall doesn’t even support their Own plugins like the video and photo plugin is Real buggy but no one looks at that Or updated yet not to mention how some plugins are not even mobile capable Facebook would not even approve of this if it  doesn’t have mobile capabilities but the Stone Age coding gets all the glory and still on the store Oxwall the developer has been silent ever since Obama was president at lot of the current plugins are buggy and  conflicts with other plugins but why are you deciding what the people wants for their websites not everyone wants a desktop site the room for options and growth we be lost because the history of oxwall is being determined by someone who doesn’t  feel other developer plugins are as good “no mask no service“ Or “plugin is outdated or developer no longer support this plugin icon” would be much more clearer  but we all know people made up their minds so so long oxwall I’ll continue to be on GitHub/oxwall for insigas there’re no site dictatorship going on there...
dave Leader
dave Jun 10 '20

Thank you Rob, yes they added me to the foundation page in the footer.  There others so far are Emil, and Oxwall Germany, so far....

Also Ken please do us a favor, i ask kindly that you stay on topic. If you want to complain about oxwall then start a new topic.

If this turns into a "complain about oxwall" topic i will close the topic.

dave Leader
dave Jun 10 '20

Enough is enough! 

Ken you have been warned.  Stop the abusive posts!  

The Forum post is edited by dave Jun 10 '20
David
David Jun 17 '20
It would be nice if I knew what to open the suspended file list WITH. Wish it was a txt file or word doc.
David
David Jun 17 '20
I'm never one to argue with Dave, because I would lose.  LOL.  However... you've suspended most of the stuff I use... and you've suspended things that STILL WORKED FINE... and STILL got support... and I think that kind of sucks. I understand what you're trying to do... I respect it... I see the need for it... but now you're killing the cat so you don't have to buy cat food.  That's my opinion. Free stuff should be LEFT UP... useful or not... because many are the times i fixed or modified a free, old submission and made it work well with OW.
David
David Jun 17 '20
And yet you'll leave "Facebook Connect" and "Video" and a ton of other things up in the store which the author never fixed... and you'll leave Appxprt's 599.00 bullcrap up even though he CLAIMS it's only being maintained for people who already purchased it.  This makes no sense. Video has been buggy and defective for a long time... and so has the aforementioned FB Connect. And a lot of other stuff. Why are they still here if the AUTHOR absolutely refuses to fix them?
David
David Jun 17 '20
The latest versions, as they were coded, not modified, Chris?  Because... I can't make it work no matter what i do.
dave Leader
dave Jun 17 '20

The file can be opened with libre office or excel.   I know we are not going to make everyone happy, that comes with the territory. However i do hear you David and we will come up with something.   I would prefer if the free plugins were under a developers support even if the support might not be priority support.

Now we have a new challenge that we are facing.  What happens if the develper contacts us and then goes poof.   We gave them 30 days to reply, aron replied and said he would resubmit everything and then no word since then.  So now im thinking of what to do if for example 2 months goes by and no resubmits.  Do we just let those plugin ideas die out.

By the way David i never see it as winning or losing when it comes to discussions, i see it as making sense, staying on topic, offer practicle solutions, present your thoughts without harrassment or drama.  The people that win or lose are the users and develpers of Oxwall.  It never has been about me...

It is not going to be easy to clean up such a mess, but i feel that in the end, and as we all look back, it will be worth the challenges to do this.

The Forum post is edited by dave Jun 17 '20
Pages: 1 2 »
This topic is sticky
This topic is locked