We build. You grow.

Get best community software here

Start a social network, a fan-site, an education project with oxwall - free opensource community software

SMTP delay | Forum

Christophe Tricaud
Christophe Tricaud Jun 8 '20
I have some problme with sending mail. May be someone can tell me how it is configured in the website:

1/ When I send an email, a delay of a couple of minutes (10) si noticed before the mail si sent. How can I cope with this?

2/ I have set some smtp infos that worked with the contact form included in the skeleton but not with the others emails send by the computer. For these nothing happens.

I looked at the cron log without success.

It seems to me that is quite complicated and some mails are put inthe ow_base_mail table, and some not. Why and how can I handle this?

Thank you for your help

Christophe Tricaud
For the delay I went in the base/cron.php and reduce it to 1 minutes. It would have been a good idea to be able to change it in the admin interface.

I don't understand why it is interesting to send it with a delay.

Marcus
Marcus Jun 8 '20
hi please set ur server cron to fire up every minute. dont touch cron.php

if you want email to gent right away then use php mailer. 

that ur describing is normal for smtp case it tskes into account many fsctors like priority or messsges per hour etc. 
Christophe Tricaud
Thank you Marcus for your help, I did as you mentionned.
dave Leader
dave Jun 8 '20

+1 Marcus thanks for helping

Make sure your host will allow you to do 1 min crons.  Many hosts now are moving to 5 min cron minimum to help with resources.  5 min crons should not be used for production sites.

Christophe Tricaud
Christophe Tricaud Jun 9 '20
Fortunately I host the app on my own server so I do what I want. And I have to cope alone with the problems I have :=
Marcus
Marcus Jun 9 '20
its perfect then aint nobody gonna tell you what to do and you dont have to deal with all kind of limitations imposed by hosting company. but on the flip side you gotta know how to msnage or run self server. if some goes wrong you there will be no quick dash for suppor baby you can end up witj an ofline site for a long time. good luck
The Forum post is edited by Marcus Jun 9 '20
Alpha Johnson
Alpha Johnson Dec 8 '21

Open your email client program (Outlook Express, Outlook, Eudora or Windows Mail)

Click "Accounts" in the "Tools" menu.

Click on your email account then click "Properties" button.

Click "General" tab.

Ensure that the "E-mail address" is your valid address for this account.

Click "Servers" tab.