We build. You grow.

Get best community software here

Start a social network, a fan-site, an education project with oxwall - free opensource community software

Here are the new coding rules! | Forum

Topic location: Forum home » Support » Oxwall Store
dave Leader
dave Jun 20 '20

Quote from Patricia Zorrilla

Can someone who speaks English as their mother tongue spend a bit of time reading the "OxWall license" and commenting on whether it is legal for a 999 USD price tag to be placed on the cover of oxwall.com?

Because if users are being lost, we are all losers.

I think this is much more important than what happens with plugins, if they are sold well the developers will do what is necessary.

Patricia, what is the issue, they can set their own prices to whatever they want, i dont see the issue with 999 as far as their rights go. 

Also we are part of the free version not the paid version, i believe that is where our focus should be.

Patricia Zorrilla Leader
Patricia Zorrilla Jun 20 '20

Quote from ArtMedia

Dave,

Why you dont answer for all my questions?

- Why callback function must be on install.php file, which is first and on most cases only file, which check stealer before install pirated plugin. Why you don't allow "hide" security layer on plugin code, i don't understand this. Now what you want do is give pirates callback function on plate, now he know where search it and remove it, because you write this on PROPOSED oxwall coding rules.

- How oxwall team provide better security mechanism for developers if they require place function on install.php, write it open on forum, so pirates know where search this function? I dont understand this changes - file install.php (i understand what data can be send). This will cause that our plugins will be easy to pirate.

Dave do you understand what i have on mind or not?
+1
dave Leader
dave Jun 20 '20

Quote from Chris_W Everyone has a voice, you just need to keep it civilised.

+1 

and +1 patricia,  ideas turn to changes and progress, complaints just turn to drama.

ken i have no problem with your voice or your opinion, but keep it civil, no name calling and no aggessiveness towards anyone.   That is all we ask.

Artmedia, i did answer your questions serveral times..  

1. the callback needs to be in the install file for the following reasons.

a. the callback is designed to work during install to give feedback during install so

that you know who installs your plugins.

b. regardless of where you put the code they can remove your security so in that regard there is no difference because its all open source.

c. since the callback is designed to get install information, we dont want any other part of the script involved because it can be exploited simply for the fact that placing it in the service file allows greater access environment than the callback should have.

d. We found abuse of the callback information in numerous prlugins so we have to provide policy now.

e.  its the policy now (most important reason of all)

Regarding the protection issue:  Oxwall and its terms has never provided protection (code) functions inside of third party plugins.  Oxwall does not provide support for 3rd party plugins and most likely wont ever because this is up to you. However, Oxwall does have provisions in place such as the license process in the store to assist you.  Oxwall also has to consider the legal and ethical side to callbacks and what they send and when.  It could look very bad if callbacks were not regulated and developers could just get any information they wanted (which is pretty much what has been happening). So we decided to crack down and put in place the policy to protect our users, your customers, and everyones reputation. 

Finally, pirating and hacking has been around since the very first computers, its not something that is going away any time soon.  So if you want to develope something new that you can add to your install file, then let us know and we will consider it.  But oxwall is not responsible for your products, we just provide the environment they live in, and that environment has rules. 

The Forum post is edited by dave Jun 20 '20
ArtMedia
ArtMedia Jun 20 '20

Ok, i have anything else to said, you want set rules, which not protect developers, okay, but i don't accept it, so if you want suspend my plugins, you can, i try sell it on my own platform.

You don't want hear voices other good developers, this is your decision, but oxwall losing because of that.

Senior Developer understand my arguments, you are not. If you don't hear others, don't consult rules with others, then oxwall is dead as oxwall github repo.

Good Luck

dave Leader
dave Jun 20 '20
Artmedia, I do hear and undersand what you are saying, i totally get it.  However, there is more at stake than just your discomfort. If you cannot see that then i am sorry, i have tried to explain it from a business stance, that is all i can do.  So your answer is to sell them on your own site with no license key, ok then maybe you should think about that, i dont think that would work out as you like.
ArtMedia
ArtMedia Jun 20 '20

"However, there is more at stake than just your discomfort"

What is at stake? Please tell my how my plugins harm anybody? This is only my own protection, where i get info who stealing my plugins. You dont want add better protection mechanism that license key and you set rules, where now stealer know that callback function is on install.php, so he edit this file, delete this function and steal my plugin. AND I TOTALLY DON'T UNDERSTAND IT, THIS IS STUPID RULE.

The Forum post is edited by ArtMedia Jun 20 '20
dave Leader
dave Jun 20 '20

Quote from ArtMedia

"However, there is more at stake than just your discomfort"

What is at stake? Please tell my how my plugins harm anybody? This is only my own protection before stealing my plugins. You dont want add better protection mechanism that license key and you set rules, where now stealer know that callback function is on install.php, so he edit this file, delete this function and steal my plugin. AND I TOTALLY DON'T UNDERSTAND IT, THIS IS STUPID RULE.

That phrase means same as "there is more to think about/consider"   stake is like risk the way we use it in that phrase.

We as a business have more to think about than just how it effects you, we must think about how it effects everyone, including users, and how our terms apply to things. Its far more than just saying "it dont hurt anyone"  It can be an enormous liability on the business if we dont regulate it.

I have also advised you that we will keep this close to the vest (meaning on our mind) and continue to think about possible alternatives going forward.

dave Leader
dave Jun 20 '20
Topic was moved from General Chat.
Oxwall Germany Club
Oxwall Germany Jun 21 '20
Hi all,

Thank you for your post and opinions.

As we explained here dave is part of the moderation team and supports the community as a community manager in the Oxwall Foundation. He is listed as a member on the foundation's page.

We are sorry that our efforts for a better Store have met with so little acknowledgement. We want to return the Store to a marketplace with trust in the items of developers. This is why we already announced some months ago that we will clean up the Store. This procedure was arranged with Emil as chairman of the Oxwall Foundation. It took some time  until we began to suspend no longer supported items, but we began when dave joined the team some weeks ago as we were able to handle more items that way.

At the same time we decided to revise the coding standards. The existing ones are short and not very useful. We checked the items in the Store and saw that developers use different coding structures. That is fine, because every developer will have its own way of coding. But, we saw some unattractive ways of coding (no use of Oxwall core functions, no use of the database interface, ...) and decided to add a lot things more to the coding standards to provide some uniform style of coding.

Unfortunately, we don't have access to the wiki. We already contacted Emil, but we didn't get the access data until now. This is why dave posted the coding standards here, because we can't modify the existing ones. You are right that we should have posted the coding standards here before suspending the items and we are sorry for that. We understand that some of you are angry, but we hope that we can bring all efforts together to turn the Store back into a trusted marketplace. We decided to not suspend an item immediately in future if it does not meet with the coding standards. The developer will get one month to change the code. This will be included in the Store terms.

As we don't have access to the wiki, we will add the new coding standards on a new page here on this site. This will make it possible for everyone of you to see which coding standards are the latest. Please review your plugins and adapt them to the new standards as soon as possible. We know that this is some work to do, but it increases the trust in Oxwall Store and also the quality of the plugins provided through the Store.

If you have questions, please write us a PM.

Thank you for your efforts and understanding.
The Forum post is edited by Oxwall Germany Jun 21 '20
dave Leader
dave Jun 21 '20
+1 i think its a great idea.... im 100% onboard...
dave Leader
dave Aug 4 '20

Coding standards are now Official.

https://developers.oxwall.com/store/coding-standards

This will be the main and only coding standards policy document going forward, all others are obsolete.

Pages: « 1 2 3
This topic is sticky
This topic is locked