We build. You grow.

Get best community software here

Start a social network, a fan-site, an education project with oxwall - free opensource community software

Can we lose access to purchased plugins? | Forum

Topic location: Forum home » Support » General Questions
Mac Fionn
Mac Fionn Jul 14 '20
I was reading through the trouble tickets on a particular plugin, and read where a user lost access to a paid plugin because it was removed from the store and oxwall couldn't validate the key. Is this for real? Can this ACTUALLY happen? If I buy a plugin for $50, and then one day the author pulls the plugin from the store, will I actually "lose" that plugins ability to run on my site?
The Forum post is edited by Mac Fionn Jul 14 '20
Mac Fionn
Mac Fionn Jul 14 '20
Fyi, I read the post here: https://developers.oxwall.com/forum/topic/66276

But there is a difference between a suspended plugin/theme vs. removed by author. Hence the question. Thanks again!

dave Leader
dave Jul 14 '20

Hi, yes as far as i know if the developer pulls the plugin from the store (delete) you will not be able to run the plugin.  However as some devs can attest, we do not take this lightly and we very strongly recommend that the dev put the item back... All the devs i know of have allways put the plugin back, but i am sure some have not in the past.

Also it is this way on every single open source project i know that has plugins.

Mac Fionn
Mac Fionn Jul 14 '20
Actually Dave, I disagree. WP being the 800lbs gorilla of open source doesn't check a license each time it is run to confirm your right to use it. And even if you have to reinstall it, The Envato marketplace ENSURES that past purchases can still be validated, even if the author has pulled their stuff.

So no. This isn't the norm. And I've used enough CMS platforms to realize that this is actually crazy! A sites whole functionally can literally disappear overnight depending on the plugins you bought and who decides to pull their work. 

This is crazy.

The Forum post is edited by Mac Fionn Jul 14 '20
Mac Fionn
Mac Fionn Jul 14 '20
But... Thank you for your answer. :)
dave Leader
dave Jul 15 '20

OK yeah you got me there, i was not thinking of WP because i dont consider WP in the same arena as Oxwall, i still think of WP as just a blog in my mind. I should have been more specific in my comment rather than so global.  But i can tell you i believe if WP sold their plugins rather than having them all for free, even WP would check for license. 

I know alot of developers that refuse to code for WP because its free. Even though developers can have their upgrades and upsell items on their own.  

Thank you for your feedback and my apology for not being more clear and specific.  :)