We build. You grow.

Get best community software here

Start a social network, a fan-site, an education project with oxwall - free opensource community software

Edits to lang_1 file over written | Forum

adam
adam Aug 31 '20
I've made some changes to the lang_1 file like swapping the text on the home page/registration page
'Join our community'

to my own site name. An hour later edits switched back. Is the lang_1.php an auto re-write file?

dave Leader
dave Aug 31 '20

you have to change the language via the admin - settings- languages section, find the lang by key or by plugin or by text, then change it in the box then save it on the bottom... done..

:0

adam
adam Sep 1 '20
I'm not trying to change the language, I'm trying to change such things like the 'Join Our Community' that is stated on the create account page and other things like the email signature from Ox to my own site name.
adam
adam Sep 1 '20
Gotcha! Apologies, I see now.  Although, I woul dhave thought that making changes in the actual file would over-ride the alterations made via admin :-/
Marcus
Marcus Sep 1 '20
keep in mind in some cases lang keys could get stuck in cache so no matter how many times u make changes it wont take it unless u clear cache 
adam
adam Sep 1 '20

Quote from Marcus keep in mind in some cases lang keys could get stuck in cache so no matter how many times u make changes it wont take it unless u clear cache 

Sure I understand. Thanks
Patricia Zorrilla Leader
Patricia Zorrilla Sep 1 '20

Quote from Chris_W There was a free plugin to clear the cache from the admin panel, but it seems to have been pulled from the store. If you want a copy PM me.

I do not see very correct this to give plugins privately. There are many developers that we have stopped developing due to excessive hacking. Think about it.

You have in the store this plugin that does the same and many more things:

https://developers.oxwall.com/store/item/1685

I hope you don't give it away too, making 10USD scams is not right.

The Forum post is edited by Patricia Zorrilla Sep 1 '20
Patricia Zorrilla Leader
If that's okay with you, do it. I hope the moderator doesn't like it.
Patricia Zorrilla Leader

OxWall's free mode is this:

https://wiki.oxwall.com/plugin-tuts:enable-debug

If they removed a free plugin from the store there would be a reason.

They retired 75% of the plugins ... it has been a great loss, it is just what OxWall needed to finish dying.

I suggested putting a "use at your own risk" notice or something like that on each one, but it's easier to hit "Delete".

I only say my point of view. If this forum and its store disappear, I will put ALL the plugins on my website owspain.com, but as long as it exists we should abide by the rules, maintain a legitimate behavior and set a good example.

dave Leader
dave Sep 1 '20

The best thing to do is to remove the emotional aspect and go by what the rules say. This way none get worked up over it.  There have been tons of times i had to bite my tongue or catch myself from doing something based on emotion. Wether it be not being able to help someone with some old plugin or dealing with someone being abusive. 

My suggestion is to remain professional.  And that is something you have to decide what that means to you. 

Our only objection is to not share the link in the forum.  Other than that as long as it is or was  a free plugin, we really have no policy on that, just dont do it in the open forum  And never ever ever share paid plugins anywhere at all, that is a no no.

That is where Oxwall stands.

Patricia i do not understand this comment:

quote "If that's okay with you, do it. I hope the moderator doesn't like it." endquote

why would you want the moderator to NOT like it?

The Forum post is edited by dave Sep 1 '20
Patricia Zorrilla Leader
Patricia Zorrilla Sep 2 '20

I do not want to encourage discussions in the forum.

I understand that if a free plugin has been removed from the store it is because it has a defect.

If it has been withdrawn, I do not see lawful keeping it alive by openly sending copies. For that it is better that it is in the store, it would have its own page with description, photos, its own forum with comments, ratings and other developers could improve it.

But the one who decides is the moderator. Not me, I just state my point of view.