We build. You grow.

Get best community software here

Start a social network, a fan-site, an education project with oxwall - free opensource community software

Google SMTP service | Forum

Stan Jensen
Stan Jensen Jan 9 '21
Has others used the Google SMTP service, or has another one to recommend?

I have been using SENDGRID, and it is becoming to expensive.

Thoughts?

Stan

The Forum post is edited by Stan Jensen Jan 31 '21
dave Leader
dave Jan 14 '21
Why do you need a service?  You can set it up via cPanel for free if you use your domain email, or outlook and hotmail are also free if you have one of those email addresses.
Stan Jensen
Stan Jensen Jan 15 '21
it is my understanding. that using services like SendGrid.com make it more likely to have the email go through rather than it get put into the junk section of the recipient 

they also stop emails from being recent to a bad email address the second time.  IO have 27,000 members now, it is was taking so much time to remove the members with the bad emails 

Stan

Patricia Zorrilla Leader
Patricia Zorrilla Jan 15 '21

It would be very interesting if these services provided a list of failed emails.

So you could make a plugin that would read it and mark these emails as "unverified".

But I think they don't :(

dave Leader
dave Jan 15 '21

Do you think alot of your fake emails are from well known hosts or from off brand email clients.   The reason i ask is because in php you can verify the email domain and if the domain does not exist then kick the whole account?

The other thing you can do is send out a global email asking your current members to log into the site within the next 15 days.   Those that do not you can suspend their account and wait for them to contact you.  Those that do not contact you in 60 days are all fake most likely and you can remove them. 

Patricia Zorrilla Leader
Patricia Zorrilla Jan 15 '21

I use a plugin that - no longer in the store - allows users to be banned before they register just because their email is on a temporary email list. Later that plugin was updated but the update was a disaster. From this penultimate version I started I made my own version.

But the problem is not there, I approve the profiles manually and if I already see the domains of the emails and what they have written in the rest of the fields.

Nor can I delete all inactive profiles. The most common complaint of those who unsubscribe is "where I live there is no one", because although it is not a heterosexual and dating website, 99% of my users look for dates, or dream about them, or do what they want but I am interested in paying their annual fee.

My problem (I suppose something similar happens to Stan Jensen) is that the emails that do not arrive cause your IP to be marked by SPAM and from there ALL the emails go to the SPAM folder.

In summary, my goal is not to send emails to emails that no longer exist, not to eliminate users with current payment, nor to bother them to update their email. I am not interested in email, I am interested in them paying their annual fee.

dave Leader
dave Jan 15 '21

That is all good and well Patricia, however site owners have unique responsibilities. One of those is making sure that member data is accurate, and there are many many reasons why this is important.  Some reasons are beneficial to other members, some are beneficial for the admin and moderators, and some are for legal reasons.   There are some states in the US and i am sure some countries around the world that will hold site owners accountable for irresponsible site management.

Its not 1983 anymore and the legal entities have changed, now they are more tuned into what is good management and what is bad management when it comes to websites and the data.   For example, if one of a sites members uses a fake email and other fake info and then uses that website to commit illegal activities, the owner of that website could become liable if they did not maintain active practices to be sure that user data is correct, and to weed out those that are fake. 

Not doing so lends to the possiblility of being an accessory to a crime because a admin did not do anything to prevent that person from haivng an account in the first place.   It is a much different world legally then it used to be even 10 years ago.  Running a website is more involved than ever and there can be consequences if admins do not take it seriously, and learn to do it properly.

The Forum post is edited by dave Jan 15 '21
Patricia Zorrilla Leader
Patricia Zorrilla Jan 16 '21

I don't see Facebook, Twitter and the like doing that.

You create an account in hotmail, yahoo, gmail, register in a social network, delete the email account and that's it. They do not ask for any document.

It is very useful, for example, to browse things on AliExpress, Ebay, etc., without later being bombarded with advertising of things that do not interest you, of which you only wanted to browse prices.

I do not know whose legal responsibility will be if you misuse this email account, but I am sure that even if you have closed it if they want, they can locate you. They'll find you, I've seen it on TV in a police series. :) 

dave Leader
dave Jan 16 '21
Well FB and Twitter have deep pockets with tons of money for expensive attorneys and plus they are being protected from the establishment.   None of us have that kind of money or favoritism. 
The Forum post is edited by dave Jan 16 '21
Stan
Stan Jan 25 '21
ok. here is an example. when I used SendGrid. I had about far less than a 1% bounces'

when I don't I have bout a 30% bounce back,.  Mostly yahoo address, which are more common in the Philippines Thailand etc.  a well as people back up email address in North American and Europe.

Attached is one weeks mailing using send grid

this is what the issue is. A number of providers will not let my email go through,

Stan
Stan Jan 25 '21
correction is it less than .01% on the average

Stan Jensen
Stan Jensen Jan 31 '21
I was hoping someone would explain that I'm reading this all wrong, or did I miss that?
Stan
Stan Feb 10 '21
So does everyone else have their emails go out from their server and land properly in the other end?

I am solving a problem that does not exist?

thanks

Stan