We build. You grow.

Get best community software here

Start a social network, a fan-site, an education project with oxwall - free opensource community software

I think we should have a spam IP section | Forum

Topic location: Forum home » Support » General Questions
Thomas
Thomas Nov 27 '12
I think we should have a spam section added here so we can share spammers ip addresses so we can stop them before they hit. Is this possible? I get spammed non stop. I have the plugin but if we can share them with all the site owners we may discourage them.
The Forum post is edited by Thomas Nov 27 '12
Alia Team
Alia Nov 28 '12
Thomas, 1.5 release will have a built in antispam plugin.  Just need to wait for the new release )) .
Bob (Coder Whacker)
Bob (Coder Whacker) Nov 28 '12
I would like to suggest it would be handy to report the IP address and emails to Codewhacker report spam as we mean to actively report these idiots to their ISP and email providers. This is the only real way to get rid of these creeps and as you say a shared system for all site owners to use. Banning IP's can be a total night mare as cable and mobile ISP's can be banned and this can cause problems to your users. So each time there is a need for investigation and some times a need to consult with the ISP's and mail providers in achieving the aim. The antispam plugin Will be useful if its geared to known spam networks but using third party data bases have already proved to be stupid and wall.fm will totally agree with me on this issue. There needs to be a system of report and checking and working with ISP's and Email services.  
Purusothaman Ramanujam
Antispam plugin in 1.5 is basic and reporting features are not included in that.
Thomas
Thomas Nov 28 '12

We need to do something to stop this issue.  The spamming software these idiots use can easy find its way around our antispam plugin. Aliia I know you mean well but oxwall has known about this problem for a while and I am yet to see any means to stopping it.  I really think that we need some sort of reporting system to the webmasters of oxwall sites so we can continue to block these users causing the software to be useless.  Till that happens we will continue to have these issues.

Email services do not matter there is software avaible to make thousands of gmail and hotmail accounts in one minute you can not stop them by those means.  We need to disrupt the software that is allowing to spam. 

Ok I am officially off my rant today.  Dammit I hate spammers

Purusothaman Ramanujam

Quote from Thomas I know you mean well but oxwall has known about this problem for a while and I am yet to see any means to stopping it.

Oxwall 1.5 has inbuilt free watchdog plugin. This is of basic use but sure it will be improved in the near future.