We build. You grow.

Get best community software here

Start a social network, a fan-site, an education project with oxwall - free opensource community software

500 Error - Have followed instructions | Forum

Dawn
Dawn Nov 27 '12
Hi there,

When new members try to sign up they fill in the registration details (some mandatory fields) and click submit, the page refreshes to give an error 500 internal server error.

I have followed the instructions here regarding the alteration of the ('OW_DEBUG_MODE', false) to true. I have done this, saved the file, refreshed my ftp and below are the errors.

Can someone give me some ideas to try to resolve this issue. I'm no web developer so can you try to make any replies easy to understand.

Thanks a lot

nic 

x

ERRORS

OW Debug - NoticeMessage:Undefined variable: gotipFile:/home/freeswin/public_html/test/oxwall/ow_plugins/antispammer/init.phpLine:234

OW Debug - ExceptionMessage:Could not instantiate mail function.File:/home/freeswin/public_html/test/oxwall/ow_libraries/php_mailer/class.phpmailer.phpLine:595Trace:#0 /home/freeswin/public_html/test/oxwall/ow_libraries/php_mailer/class.phpmailer.php(519): PHPMailer->MailSend('Date: Wed, 28 N...', '--b1_30c3f00484...') #1 /home/freeswin/public_html/test/oxwall/ow_system_plugins/base/bol/mail_service.php(265): PHPMailer->Send() #2 /home/freeswin/public_html/test/oxwall/ow_core/mailer.php(97): BOL_MailService->send(Object(BASE_CLASS_Mail)) #3 /home/freeswin/public_html/test/oxwall/ow_system_plugins/base/bol/email_verify_service.php(217): OW_Mailer->send(Object(BASE_CLASS_Mail)) #4 /home/freeswin/public_html/test/oxwall/ow_system_plugins/base/bol/email_verify_service.php(244): BOL_EmailVerifyService->sendVerificationMail('user', Array) #5 /home/freeswin/public_html/test/oxwall/ow_system_plugins/base/controllers/email_verify.php(105): BOL_EmailVerifyService->sendUserVerificationMail(Object(BOL_User)) #6 [internal function]: BASE_CTRL_EmailVerify->index(Array) #7 /home/freeswin/public_html/test/oxwall/ow_core/request_handler.php(266): ReflectionMethod->invokeArgs(Object(BASE_CTRL_EmailVerify), Array) #8 /home/freeswin/public_html/test/oxwall/ow_core/application.php(300): OW_RequestHandler->dispatch() #9 /home/freeswin/public_html/test/oxwall/index.php(65): OW_Application->handleRequest() #10 {main}Type:phpmailerException

The Forum post is edited by Dawn Nov 27 '12
Alia Team
Alia Nov 27 '12
Dawn, try disabling AntiSpammer plugin.
Dawn
Dawn Nov 28 '12
The registration error was happening before i added the antispammer, will disable it and try again

Issue is still the same minus the spammer message

The Forum post is edited by Dawn Nov 28 '12
Alia Team
Alia Dec 4 '12
Dawn, thanks for trying.
1. Try enabling SMTP.

2. Check with your hosting company why standard PHP  mail() function is not working on your server.
Dawn
Dawn Dec 5 '12
I've no idea how to set up SMTP (im not a developer, im trying to do this myself, hence all the questions)

I've tried to get my hosting company to set up the SMTP for me as i'm clueless. i think they have done it but i now have a slightly different error 

Message:Could not instantiate mail function.File:/home/freeswin/public_html/test/oxwall/ow_libraries/php_mailer/class.phpmailer.phpLine:595Trace:#0 /home/freeswin/public_html/test/oxwall/ow_libraries/php_mailer/class.phpmailer.php(519): PHPMailer->MailSend('Date: Thu, 6 De...', '--b1_e7943f3d5d...') #1 /home/freeswin/public_html/test/oxwall/ow_system_plugins/base/bol/mail_service.php(265): PHPMailer->Send() #2 /home/freeswin/public_html/test/oxwall/ow_core/mailer.php(97): BOL_MailService->send(Object(BASE_CLASS_Mail)) #3 /home/freeswin/public_html/test/oxwall/ow_system_plugins/base/bol/email_verify_service.php(217): OW_Mailer->send(Object(BASE_CLASS_Mail)) #4 /home/freeswin/public_html/test/oxwall/ow_system_plugins/base/bol/email_verify_service.php(244): BOL_EmailVerifyService->sendVerificationMail('user', Array) #5 /home/freeswin/public_html/test/oxwall/ow_system_plugins/base/controllers/email_verify.php(105): BOL_EmailVerifyService->sendUserVerificationMail(Object(BOL_User)) #6 [internal function]: BASE_CTRL_EmailVerify->index(Array) #7 /home/freeswin/public_html/test/oxwall/ow_core/request_handler.php(266): ReflectionMethod->invokeArgs(Object(BASE_CTRL_EmailVerify), Array) #8 /home/freeswin/public_html/test/oxwall/ow_core/application.php(300): OW_RequestHandler->dispatch() #9 /home/freeswin/public_html/test/oxwall/index.php(65): OW_Application->handleRequest() #10 {main}Type:phpmailerException

Dawn
Dawn Dec 5 '12
they say the PHP is disabled for security reasons

Alia Team
Alia Dec 6 '12
In this case the only option is to use SMTP.
Go to admin panle>>settings>>"SMTP" tab.
Fill in the form with needed data.
Contact your mail server company to get SMTP data.

You can test with gmail. SMTP info for gmail can be found here: http://support.google.com/...=en&answer=13287

Antoine Banks
Antoine Banks Sep 18 '15

Quote from Alia In this case the only option is to use SMTP.
Go to admin panle>>settings>>"SMTP" tab.
Fill in the form with needed data.
Contact your mail server company to get SMTP data.

You can test with gmail. SMTP info for gmail can be found here: http://support.google.com/...=en&answer=13287

This link worked great as far as me setting up and testing the connection for my google smtp connections in my admin area. However, I just haven't had the chance to test it out, yet, due to a PDOException error.

Thanks for the google link.
ross Team
ross Sep 21 '15
Antoine, please create a separate topic with your PDO error. We'll try to assist you.